[SOLVED] When to install the OS when upgrading the computer?

Sep 9, 2020
Ciao a tutti,
siccome volevo fare un upgrade del mio computer (sostituzione scheda madre, CPU, scheda grafica) ed ho Windows 7 e avevo intenzione di scaricare Windows 10, quando devo scaricarlo? prima della sostituzione dei componenti o dopo?
Secondo voi quale licenza devo prendere di Windows 10?
Grazie!

Google translated:
Hello everybody,
since I wanted to upgrade my computer (motherboard, CPU, graphics card replacement) and I have Windows 7 and I was going to download Windows 10, when should I download it? before component replacement or after?
What license do you think I should take on Windows 10?
Thank you!

Solution
Google translated:
Hello everybody,
since I wanted to upgrade my computer (motherboard, CPU, graphics card replacement) and I have Windows 7 and I was going to download Windows 10, when should I download it? before component replacement or after?
Thank you!

Since its an upgrade of a current PC, I would probably download win 10 now and use it to upgrade win 7 on current build, and link it to an email address so when you upgrade the parts its easier to reactivate it again. When you install it is up to you, as long as windows is linked to an email address before the swap of parts, it doesn't matter.

That costs you nothing at all. you just upgrading the current version you...
A few weeks ago I was still able to upgrade an old Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. This is definitely on a case by case basis and may not be available in all countries, etc.

But, since you are replacing all the major system components you'll need a new product key, regardless of how you go about it.

@USAFRet's recommendation is the best course of action.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Use your working (old) computer to download the USB version of Win 10. You don't have to pick now, as far as which version as the installer is fine for both, but will ask. Home version is fine for most users. Install that on the new build, as per above.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Google translated:
Hello everybody,
Thank you!

Since its an upgrade of a current PC, I would probably download win 10 now and use it to upgrade win 7 on current build, and link it to an email address so when you upgrade the parts its easier to reactivate it again. When you install it is up to you, as long as windows is linked to an email address before the swap of parts, it doesn't matter.

That costs you nothing at all. you just upgrading the current version you have now. So if you have win 7 home, you get win 10 home.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Solution