[SOLVED] When trying to shut down, Windows apparentely shuts down, but lights are still on. I have to force shutdown.

Dec 2, 2021
Hi!

I'm having an annoying problem, and I would appreciate any advice!
Sometimes, when I shut down the pc, it seems like everything will be normal. However the screen turns black, but the power never turns off.
I have many many theories, but after thinking endlessly about this problem, I realized I don't really know how to troubleshoot.
Some things that are important:
After the screen turns black, I believe Windows is still running, because in the Event Viewer, the log shows activities in the period after I tried to shut down and the lights were still on (as a test, I left the computer all night to see what would happen and it didn't turn off).
I work with video a lot (using Premiere Pro and Davinci Resolve), and have a pcie card (decklink mini monitor 4k) specifically to display the videos on a 2nd monitor. This monitor is not currently connected to the gpu, but has been.
I use a widescreen monitor as the primary display.
Sometimes, I notice that, after I close a program, it still appears on the task manager (this has happened both with Premiere and Resolve). It's not always, I don't really know what the pattern is.
Sometimes, before this problem happens, Resolve shows a warning saying that it couldn't locate the deckling card. However, this is not always the case either.
I have gone trough Windows Event viewer and it shows a bunch of erros, mostly related to the DCOM erros 10010 and 10016.
I tought about checking for corrupted files, but am afraid of doing something that could damage the pc, as I am not familiar with these tools.
Specs:
gigabyte z390m gaming, Win10, i7 9700k, gtx 1660oc, 32gb ram, 240gb ssd (OS + programs), 1tb hd (files), 4tb hd (files), corsair 650cx, decklink mini monitor 4k on the small pcie slot

EDIT:
Win version: 10.0.19043
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. F2, 29/08/2018
SMBIOS: 2.8
SSD: Crucial BX500
Memory: 2x16gb CMK16GX4M1D3000C16 (Bought them separetly. I installed in 2 connected slots, hoping they would work in dual channel, but I don't know how to check)
PSU: CX650 80 plus bronze (bought in 2018)

I appreciate any help, any tests or toughts!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
Also look in Reliability History to get a sense of what all (errors, warnings, informational events) is going on while Windows is trying to shutdown, wake up, startup, etc..

Reliability History is much more user friendly than Event Viewer plus presents using a timeline format that can be quite revealing.

And you can click on any given entry for more details. The details may or may not be helpful.

As for corrupted files Windows has two tools you can use: "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

DISM Overview | Microsoft Docs

Either one or both may find and fix something.

However, as always, before doing anything ensure that all...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for your storage, what is the make and model of your SSD? Make and model of your rams? Age of the Corsair CX650 PSU in your build? Is that the green labelled unit of the grey labelled unit?

Reactions: marina1234
Dec 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you working with? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for your storage, what is the make and model of your SSD? Make and model of your rams? Age of the Corsair CX650 PSU in your build? Is that the green labelled unit of the grey labelled unit?

Thank you for you reply!
I made an edit in the post, but regarding the PSU, I checked and am still in doubt! The unit itself has a label that has some greenish-grey parts, so maybe I didn't understant were I should look. Maybe I looked in the right place, but don't know if you would call it grey or green. All I know is that it is an 80 plus bronze unit. I bought it in 2018.

Last edited:
Oh, that would be a bad news! Did you experienced the exact same behaviour? I was hopping it wouldn't be hardware related.

So for me I'd shut the PC down, most of the time it would do that normally. Occasionally though it would switch off in a sense, no signal to the monitor, the computer components themselves like the CPU and GPU were seemingly not running, no way to wake the computer or anything like that by hitting the keyboard. But my RGB lighting was still on, I think the fan's may have still been running to. I'd left it for quite a while before like half hour or so and it didn't switch off properly on it's own. In such situations I would just hold the power button down and it would shut off completely.

If your experiencing no other issues then it's not something I would replace a motherboard for. I suspect there is a logical explanation as to why it does it but I don't know what that might be.

Dec 2, 2021
So for me I'd shut the PC down, most of the time it would do that normally. Occasionally though it would switch off in a sense, no signal to the monitor, the computer components themselves like the CPU and GPU were seemingly not running, no way to wake the computer or anything like that by hitting the keyboard. But my RGB lighting was still on, I think the fan's may have still been running to. I'd left it for quite a while before like half hour or so and it didn't switch off properly on it's own. In such situations I would just hold the power button down and it would shut off completely.

If your experiencing no other issues then it's not something I would replace a motherboard for. I suspect there is a logical explanation as to why it does it but I don't know what that might be.
Thank you for the information!
That really is similar behavior. However I believe my system keeps running. Once, I left it on it's own to see if it would turn off. Eventually, the lights turned off, but then, I pressed some keys in the keyboard, and the lights were on again, as if the pc exited suspention mode.

Thank you for the information!
That really is similar behavior. However I believe my system keeps running. Once, I left it on it's own to see if it would turn off. Eventually, the lights turned off, but then, I pressed some keys in the keyboard, and the lights were on again, as if the pc exited suspention mode.

Ah ok that sounds slightly different to mine, I think the RGB lighting on my keyboard was still lit up with the rest of the PC but it would not respond to any commands, it was almost as if the board was running but the CPU had gone to bed. I've had some weird behaviour from Windows fast start up before though. Doesn't sound like you have anything major physically wrong if your PC is otherwise running fine during use.

Reactions: marina1234

Ralston18

Titan
Also look in Reliability History to get a sense of what all (errors, warnings, informational events) is going on while Windows is trying to shutdown, wake up, startup, etc..

Reliability History is much more user friendly than Event Viewer plus presents using a timeline format that can be quite revealing.

And you can click on any given entry for more details. The details may or may not be helpful.

As for corrupted files Windows has two tools you can use: "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

However, as always, before doing anything ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x and stored off system. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Solution
Dec 2, 2021

References:

However, as always, before doing anything ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x and stored off system. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Thank you for the advice!
Unfortunately, Reliability History didn't show anything exceptional... There is a bunch of crashes from Premiere Pro and After Effects (very common, not just in my machine). Maybe they could be related? I don't find this very clear, because these 2 crash often, and not just in the days the problems occured. Still, in these events, almost always one of these 2 crashed (if not the two). I tend to think After Effects crashes when I use heavy effects. As for Premiere I can't tell, it's a very buggy program!
Considering all the history, there are some hardware problems listed, but they happened in different dates.

Regarding the corrupted files scan, do you think it is enough that I disconnect my hds to be safe, because the system is installed on the ssd?

Thank you for the advice!
Unfortunately, Reliability History didn't show anything exceptional... There is a bunch of crashes from Premiere Pro and After Effects (very common, not just in my machine). Maybe they could be related? I don't find this very clear, because these 2 crash often, and not just in the days the problems occured. Still, in these events, almost always one of these 2 crashed (if not the two). I tend to think After Effects crashes when I use heavy effects. As for Premiere I can't tell, it's a very buggy program!
Considering all the history, there are some hardware problems listed, but they happened in different dates.

Regarding the corrupted files scan, do you think it is enough that I disconnect my hds to be safe, because the system is installed on the ssd?

I would have said it's unlikely that Adobe has anything to do with your issue. Can I recommend you try disabling fast start up and see if the issue goes away. Also how frequent is the issue?

Ralston18

Titan
"heavy effects"...?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Could be that the PSU is no longer able to consistently meet sudden increase in power demands.

And, in my mind, increasing and varying errors are a sign of a faltering PSU.

= == =

As for disconnecting the HDD you can do so. However you still need to have all important data backed up anyway.

If the PSU is on the decline and decides to catastrophically fail that could corrupt data just on its own. SSD or HDD not withstanding.

Dec 2, 2021
I would have said it's unlikely that Adobe has anything to do with your issue. Can I recommend you try disabling fast start up and see if the issue goes away. Also how frequent is the issue?
I'll try disablying the fast startup!
The problem is not very frequent, but lately it is becoming (3 times in the last week). At first, I was sure it had something to do with the pcie card I mentioned (declink mini monitor 4k), because everytime this happened, DaVinci Resolve showed a message saying it didn't find the card. After restarting the program and nothing changing, I would turn off the pc and the issue occured.
But last time it happend and I had not used my 2nd monitor. Do you think this could be related anyway?

Dec 2, 2021
"heavy effects"...?

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Could be that the PSU is no longer able to consistently meet sudden increase in power demands.

And, in my mind, increasing and varying errors are a sign of a faltering PSU.

= == =

As for disconnecting the HDD you can do so. However you still need to have all important data backed up anyway.

If the PSU is on the decline and decides to catastrophically fail that could corrupt data just on its own. SSD or HDD not withstanding.
Ok! I hadn't tought it could be PSU related. Is there any test I could perform?
The model is Corsair CX650 80 plus bronze, bought in 2018, 650w.
Ah, and by heavy effects I mean effects I would put in my work inside After Effects that were heavy on the gpu or cpu.