When Will I Get the Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylon Chicken

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
I reserved Windows 10 a couple months ago. When do you think I will be able to upgrade? I'm running Windows 8.1 on a two month old Toshiba laptop. Specs: i7 4720hq, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, 2 GB AMD card.

Solution
You'll just have to wait until Microsoft are good and ready to give it to you, same as everyone else

I have 3 PCs and a phone all with the upgrade Reserved - none of them look like they're getting it today

A_Great_Big_Tree

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
Hi there

As i'm sure you are aware, Microsoft have opted for a staggered release - They have installed some of the files on you (eligible) computer already. If you can't wait for the download to pop-up randomly, you can download it from the legit link below

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Good Luck and enjoy!

WARNING - Do not try to create bootable media... this won't work as (if you opted for the 1 year free copy of windows 10) you must install Windows 10 on the same hard drive as your previous version of Windows.

snowctrl

Distinguished
You'll just have to wait until Microsoft are good and ready to give it to you, same as everyone else

I have 3 PCs and a phone all with the upgrade Reserved - none of them look like they're getting it today

Solution

A_Great_Big_Tree

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

See above mate! :)

A_Great_Big_Tree

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

Yes, but if you use your Win 7/8/8.1 key - it will cause problems and is not suggested.

You have to buy the retail version of windows 10 to create bootable media. And as it stands you cannot transfer Windows 10 from an HDD to SSD without buying the retail version.
This is the problem I am having so if you find any resolution to this, please let me know here.

Cheers

snowctrl

Distinguished

"you cannot transfer Windows 10 from an HDD to SSD without buying the retail version."

... are you sure about this? Is it not possible simply to clone the HDD to an SSD as you might if upgrading a laptop to an SSD?

A_Great_Big_Tree

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

This is the exact issue I am facing now. Trying to find the actual answer, but Microsoft said on the phone this morning that this would not be possible without purchasing the retail. I am currently reading an article that suggests you can in fact transfer from HDD to SSD and then use your previous version of Windows product key to authenticate it over the phone?! I'm pretty stuck on this on myself to be honest. I took the day off work to do this and it looks like it won't be ready for tomorrow.

snowctrl

Distinguished
Well, the normal way to update a PC or laptop from HD to SSD OS drive is simply to clone the drive, turn the machine off, switch the drives and re-boot. I have done this mroe than once with Win 7, so I'm not sure why it would not be possible with Win 10?

As I understand it, Windows locks itself to your motherboard, so if you change that, it then thinks it is in a new system and wants you to re-authenticate (or possibly buy a new copy of Windows)

... but changing a HD for an SSD shouldn't be an issue...

My approach is likely gonna be to clone my Win 7 systems to spare HDs before I make the upgrade, just in case I get any nasty surprises once it is done....

Status
Not open for further replies.