Where an SSD becomes beneficial?

lil_eddie

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Hi all,

I am upgrading my PC from a Phenom II to an i5-3570k (parts arrived today).

I was wondering if I should invest in an SSD - at this time it would only be a 64gb, maybe a cheaper 128gb (I understand there may be performance differences, but all are much better than the HD i have now).

My queries were (and I think I know the answers but want confirmation):

1) If I put Photoshop on to the SSD, it would load fast, but if the large PSD files I have are on a standard hard disk, will these PSD's open quicker or not? Does it depend on the file location, or the application location more?

2) Will having the OS on the SSD benefit applications that are not on the SSD (e.g. the 500gb+ of games I have) - I guess not, but wondered if there would be a slight improvement at all?

I am not sure I need an SSD right now (no one NEEDS one) - will prices drop as sharply in the next 6 months than that have in the last 6 months? (almost 30% cheaper now than they were in March) If so, maybe I will see about delaying buying one.

cgner

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
First off, 64 GB get packed pretty fast if u keep OS on it. 128 is the minimum amount. Secondly, loading files with SSD is really fast. They dont stop after idling for a few minutes, so no need to wait for them to spin up again.

I second what cgner says about a 64 GB drive getting packed pretty fast and you should go with a minimum of a 128 GB drive. I have a 120 GB SSD and after the OS, Adobe CS6 production suite, and a couple of other programs I am down to 13.5 GB of free space.

lycros

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
There are a few on sale for labor day, but I've seen most of on sale for the same or better for random sales. It might be worth waiting for black friday too.

eddiesaunders

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
I never thought I would want an SSD as well, I did buy 2 120Gb ssd's on a whim (besides they were reduced at the end of financial year sales in June), once I installed the SSD I wondered how I managed to wait so long for the machines to boot up, and how long it took to load programs before. Also the boot time has gone from some 2 minutes (from POST) to about 4 or 5 seconds, that been said I am now saving up to buy an 480 or 512Gb ssd for my notebook.

What I did here as follow "Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs" and optimised the system, all my programs are on the SSD, all the data files are on the hard disks I have in my main computer. I am doing a lot of video editing now with HD video from my camera, I did try to use the SSD and then have the data (video files) on the hard disk and have found that the program benefitted from SSD, but accessing the data files were as fast using the hard disk.

Some programs like my email program and irc programs are located on the first hard disk and load as fast as if they were on the SSD, I cannot tell that there is any loads time difference with these.

Cheers Eddie

cgner

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
^SSD's are extremely beneficial to Laptops because small drives are very slow and force the system to lag. Desktop drives arent that bad tbh.

lil_eddie

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks, still not so sure I have much info on my main issue though :(

Eddie said this: "I did try to use the SSD and then have the data (video files) on the hard disk and have found that the program benefitted from SSD, but accessing the data files were as fast using the hard disk"

This is what I want info on... I don't want to invest in an SSD PURELY to boot up faster or open Photoshop faster, what I want it for my several GB PSD/AI files to load up quicker when opened in Photoshop. If these are on a standard hard disk, will they open quicker? (I guess not from what I hear, what kenrivers said is for general use, not when using an SSD).

rdc85

Honorable
Opening file, if it was on the HDD will not speed up since it was maks out/limited at HDD read speed.

For your purpose a single large SSD will give u benefit since it had much better read speed, (and so so write speed :sweat: )..
since u cannot afford those large disk, it will waste of money to invest in 64 Gb SSD.. (right now / for your purpose)

But for me, after i change to SSD for my boot (60 Gb) I'll never think to build without one in the future.. :D

edit: for your Q2, it will benefit since the OS routine or apps task is done faster SSD the resource/data bandwidth is cleared much faster. The free resource/data bandwidth can be used by the games apps. but again the increase is minimal (more like side effect).

lil_eddie

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
So, I need my large files on the SSD too? In which case I will wait and invest in a 256gb drive I think. I have a LOT of large files I would like to open quicker when working, and if they need to be on the SSD to benefit, then I need a lot more space :D

Thanks

rdc85

Honorable

That will be the best if u want to truly benefit from SSD. : :sol:

zcoot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Laptop HDD are as slow as storage can get these days.

Note to one of the posters above most desktop 3.5" drives don't spin down. It is laptop drives which do that.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
The benefit of having os on a ssd and data on the hdd that hdd will not be interupted if an application like Photoshop want to do something the system.
But if you have really big PSD files it is always faster having them on your ssd.
But for storing huge amount of data HDDs are still fine.

davec80

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

You should be storing your data files on a hard drive. However, you can get SSD performance while opening the data files stored on the hard drive. Here's how:
1) Buy a 128GB (minimum) SSD "cache" drive like OCZ Synapse or Crucial something or other.
2) Install the software that manages your files for you, with the SSD
3) Use your computer as usual.

The first time or two you open your PSD/AI files, you probably won't notice anything different. But if these files are important to you (something you use regularly) they will be cached. Eventually, they will open up from the SSD.

The key is to have a large spinning platter hard drive with all files on it (OS, programs, games, data files) and have that hard drive be the one that is cached by the SSD cache.

rdc85

Honorable
I never liked the idea of using ssd as cache wasting life cycles on random data, I'm would like to simply put the data needed on the ssd at least i get the performance benefit all the time.

but maybe it just me (IMO)....

I use the Adobe CS6 Production Premium Suite which is installed on an SSD along with the OS with the project files stored on a data disk HDD. I work with large HD video files on a regular basis and have no problem with how quickly a project loads or performance while editing.