Question Where are hard drive DRIVERS stored?

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
They're not stored on the motherboard. More so within the OS installer's payload.
Thank you.

I tried to install Win7 from a CD to a HDD. An accident happened, the HDD was connected to a loose SATA power connector and caused the accident, the HDD was literally burnt. Changed the HDD, used another HDD, tried to install the same Win7 on the same CD, the installer said that it found no any hard drive drivers. The installation could not proceed. Now I know why.

The related question: If (1) changed the HDD to another good one and (2) changed the CD of another Win7, would the installer find hard drive drivers?

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Drivers are not stored on MB but in OS they are installed in and that's usually in C; partition.
[/QUOTE

Thank you.

If so, why an accident damaged the HDD and/or motherboard caused the installer finding no any hard drive drivers?

This is what actually happened to me. I tried to install Win7 from a CD to a HDD. An accident happened, the HDD was connected to a loose SATA power connector and caused the accident, the HDD was literally burnt. Changed the HDD, used another HDD, tried to install the same Win7 on the same CD, the installer said that it found no any hard drive drivers. The installation could not proceed. Now I know why.

Will the installer of a different Win7 on a different CD find hard drive drivers if a new and good HDD is put to the same motherboard?

Thank you.

I tried to install Win7 from a CD to a HDD. An accident happened, the HDD was connected to a loose SATA power connector and caused the accident, the HDD was literally burnt. Changed the HDD, used another HDD, tried to install the same Win7 on the same CD, the installer said that it found no any hard drive drivers. The installation could not proceed. Now I know why.

The related question: If (1) changed the HDD to another good one and (2) changed the CD of another Win7, would the installer find hard drive drivers?
I think what it's asking for is not a hard drive driver but a drive controller driver. The windows distribution comes with a driver for standard IDE or SATA controllers found in most motherboard PCH chipsets. If the controller on your motherboard isn't one it can identify the installation routine wants you to plug in a USB or floppy with a driver to access it.

So...what motherboard and CPU are you using for this? and which SATA connections on the motherboard for the HDD? and which connections for the optical drive you're using for the installation CD?

Alternatively, the controller on the motherboard could have also been fried when the original HDD was damaged. So now the installation routine recognizes no controller (or drive through the controller) and assumes it needs a driver in order to access one. If this is the case, try different SATA ports to see if you can find one that works.

If you can't find a SATA port that works with the HDD you may need to disable the on-board drive controllers in BIOS and use an add-in SATA controller card. If needed, the card should come with a driver (on a disk or download from a support site) you'll provide when the installation routine asks. You'll also have to find the settings in BIOS to enable the add-in board's ROM so that it will boot from a drive attached to the add-in card.

Last edited:

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
I think what it's asking for is not a hard drive driver but a drive controller driver. The windows distribution comes with a driver for standard IDE or SATA controllers found in most motherboard PCH chipsets. If the controller on your motherboard isn't one it can identify the installation routine wants you to plug in a USB or floppy with a driver to access it.

So...what motherboard and CPU are you using for this? and which SATA connections on the motherboard for the HDD? and which connections for the optical drive you're using for the installation CD?

Alternatively, the controller on the motherboard could have also been fried when the original HDD was damaged. So now the installation routine recognizes no controller (or drive through the controller) and assumes it needs a driver in order to access one. If this is the case, try different SATA ports to see if you can find one that works.

If you can't find a SATA port that works with the HDD you may need to disable the on-board drive controllers in BIOS and use an add-in SATA controller card. If needed, the card should come with a driver (on a disk or download from a support site) you'll provide when the installation routine asks. You'll also have to find the settings in BIOS to enable the add-in board's ROM so that it will boot from a drive attached to the add-in card.

Thank you.

What happened is as the following:

Episode 1.

1-1. The hardware:
PC: Acer aspire M5700, running Win7 Pro 32b.
MB: G45T AM2 V:1.0
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad 2.40 GHz50x
RAM: DDR2 800 SDRAM 4G
PSU: LiteOn 6301-08Ak
GPU: On board Intel® G45
BIOS:American Megatrends V.02.16

1-2. The issue:
The above said PC, M5700, had start up issue, would not start some times, then many times, and then most of the times. The issue caused by the power supply unit, LiteOn 6310 G45. It worked by testing but could not start up the machine. It was replaced by Corsair RM650x. The problem was solved. After running a few days, I wanted to make a reinstallation of Win7. An accident happened during the installing process.

1-3. The accident:
The were three SATA power connectors on cable of Corsair RM650x. The first time the HDD was connected to the connector second from the PSU case. This time, I had the HDD connected to the first SATA power connector from the PSU case. A sharp burst, sounded "pa" when the PC's power switch was tapped. The HDD was burnt. Did not know whether the MB was damaged too.

1-4. No any drivers:
Had another good and working HDD connected to one of the two SATA power connectors on the second cable of RM650x, and tried to install Win7, the same CD. The installer said that it could not find any hard drive drivers. Changed HDD, still the installer found no any drivers.

1-5. Tried to install vis USB port.
Had a USB external had drive plugged in and tried to see if Win7 installer would find hard drive drivers. Again, the installer found no any hard drive drivers.

1-6. The BIOS.
BIOS detected no any hard drive either during the above said tests.

Episode 2.

2-1. Another motherboard.
Bought an identical MB, G45T AM2 V:1.0,
and tested to prove that all the parts and functions were normal.

2-2. Hardware transfer.
Parts tranferred from the above motherboard in Episode l to this motherboard:
2-2a. CPU: Intel Core2 Quad 2.40 GHz50x
2-2b. RAM: DDR2 800 SDRAM 4G
2-2c. PSU: Corsair RM650x.

2-3. Install Win7.
Win7 installer found no any hard drive drivers, same as Episode 1.

3-4. Install Linux distros.
So far, have tried to install the following Linux distos and all failed:
LXLE, BionicPup32, Peppermint, Zorin OS Lite, Mint Xfce, and others.

At the end of copying files, a message saying: "The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk [Ermo 30] Read only file system: '/target/boot/vminus-5.0.4-113 generic' This is often due to a faulty hard drive. ...."

3-4a. Live bootable.
Live bootable was made on USB flash sticks, 2gb to 8gb various sticks.

3-4b. Target drive.
Target drives were USB flash sticks, 4gb to 16gb and momory card, 32gb.

3-4c. The installations.
Every disto has its own installer, shown on desktop when the live bootable was booted.

Questions:

[A]. Will Windows installer find hard drive drivers if another Win7 (Home) on another CD is used to install on the second motherboard in Episode 2?

. Why the light weight Linux distos cannot be installed as described in Episode 2 ?

THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH.

Thank you.

What happened is as the following:

Episode 1.

1-1. The hardware:
PC: Acer aspire M5700, running Win7 Pro 32b.
MB: G45T AM2 V:1.0
CPU: Intel Core2 Quad 2.40 GHz50x
RAM: DDR2 800 SDRAM 4G
PSU: LiteOn 6301-08Ak
GPU: On board Intel® G45
BIOS:American Megatrends V.02.16

1-2. The issue:
The above said PC, M5700, had start up issue, would not start some times, then many times, and then most of the times. The issue caused by the power supply unit, LiteOn 6310 G45. It worked by testing but could not start up the machine. It was replaced by Corsair RM650x. The problem was solved. After running a few days, I wanted to make a reinstallation of Win7. An accident happened during the installing process.

1-3. The accident:
The were three SATA power connectors on cable of Corsair RM650x. The first time the HDD was connected to the connector second from the PSU case. This time, I had the HDD connected to the first SATA power connector from the PSU case. A sharp burst, sounded "pa" when the PC's power switch was tapped. The HDD was burnt. Did not know whether the MB was damaged too.

1-4. No any drivers:
Had another good and working HDD connected to one of the two SATA power connectors on the second cable of RM650x, and tried to install Win7, the same CD. The installer said that it could not find any hard drive drivers. Changed HDD, still the installer found no any drivers.

1-5. Tried to install vis USB port.
Had a USB external had drive plugged in and tried to see if Win7 installer would find hard drive drivers. Again, the installer found no any hard drive drivers.

1-6. The BIOS.
BIOS detected no any hard drive either during the above said tests.

Episode 2.

2-2. Hardware transfer.
Parts tranferred from the above motherboard in Episode l to this motherboard:
2-2a. CPU: Intel Core2 Quad 2.40 GHz50x
2-2b. RAM: DDR2 800 SDRAM 4G
2-2c. PSU: Corsair RM650x.

2-3. Install Win7.
Win7 installer found no any hard drive drivers, same as Episode 1.

3-4. Install Linux distros.
So far, have tried to install the following Linux distos and all failed:
LXLE, BionicPup32, Peppermint, Zorin OS Lite, Mint Xfce, and others.

At the end of copying files, a message saying: "The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk [Ermo 30] Read only file system: '/target/boot/vminus-5.0.4-113 generic' This is often due to a faulty hard drive. ...."

3-4a. Live bootable.
Live bootable was made on USB flash sticks, 2gb to 8gb various sticks.

3-4b. Target drive.
Target drives were USB flash sticks, 4gb to 16gb and momory card, 32gb.

3-4c. The installations.
Every disto has its own installer, shown on desktop when the live bootable was booted.

Questions:

[A]. Will Windows installer find hard drive drivers if another Win7 (Home) on another CD is used to install on the second motherboard in Episode 2?

. Why the light weight Linux distos cannot be installed as described in Episode 2 ?

THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH.
W7 will not let you install on a removable drives if that's what you mean by
"3-4b. Target drive.
Target drives were USB flash sticks, 4gb to 16gb and momory card, 32gb. "
Not the way you can make a Live linux distro.

It was replaced by Corsair RM650x. The problem was solved.
Is the PSU new or used?
Are you sure, it came bundled with correct modular cables?
If it was used, former owner may have given you wrong cables.

How was the replacement motherboard tested to assure it was functional? If it was tested with a full system complement (CPU/memory/drives/display) then it seems logical something could be wrong with the above parts you are using, especially the hard drives.

Again, I'm pretty sure there are no "hard drive drivers" needed. Properly, it's the hard drive controller in the motherboard PCH that needs the drivers as (NVME's aside) drive controllers "talk" directly to attached drives without need of another driver.

So if it's asking for a driver it's not seeing a functional controller/HDD combination. The controller is on the motherboard so, if it was properly tested with another HDD, you have a strong clue it's your HDD('s) that's faulty.

While I can't say for certain what might be happening is a defective hard drive seen (or not seen) through a functioning (or non-functioning) controller makes the Windows installer respond with a request for a driver so it can find one. The Linux installer is more informative and proceeds until it encounters the defective HDD and tells you it's been put in "read only" mode, commonly done to protect a dead or failing HDD's contents for possible data recovery.

I'd attach it to another system, test it thoroughly and clear any read-only flags (if possible) and/or recover data if you can't get it fully read/write capable.

Last edited:

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
W7 will not let you install on a removable drives if that's what you mean by
"3-4b. Target drive.
Target drives were USB flash sticks, 4gb to 16gb and momory card, 32gb. "
Not the way you can make a Live linux distro.
Thank you.

"W7 will not let you install on a removable drives if that's what you mean by
"3-4b. Target drive."
3-4b. is talking about installing Linus distos.

"Target drives were USB flash sticks, 4gb to 16gb and momory card, 32gb. "
Not the way you can make a Live linux distro."
I have been test-running many light weight Linux distros on USB live bootable flash sticks, 2gb to 8gb.

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
ignore windows if not even bios detects your harddrives, they might be dead
Thank you.

"ignore windows if not even bios detects your harddrives, they might be dead"

No. I do not want install any Wiondows OS. But want to learn what exactly causes the issue that Windows installer finds no any hard drive drivers.

I do want to install a light weight Linux distro onto a USB flash stick or memory card. This fails too. Why?

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
Is the PSU new or used?
Are you sure, it came bundled with correct modular cables?
If it was used, former owner may have given you wrong cables.
Thank you.

"Is the PSU new or used?"
It is from an acquaintance who is gamer. The 650W PSU was insufficient for him. The RM650x was replace by more powerful PSU and it was laid on his shelf for a year or so.

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
How was the replacement motherboard tested to assure it was functional? If it was tested with a full system complement (CPU/memory/drives/display) then it seems logical something could be wrong with the above parts you are using, especially the hard drives.

Again, I'm pretty sure there are no "hard drive drivers" needed. Properly, it's the hard drive controller in the motherboard PCH that needs the drivers as (NVME's aside) drive controllers "talk" directly to attached drives without need of another driver.

So if it's asking for a driver it's not seeing a functional controller/HDD combination. The controller is on the motherboard so, if it was properly tested with another HDD, you have a strong clue it's your HDD('s) that's faulty.

While I can't say for certain what might be happening is a defective hard drive seen (or not seen) through a functioning (or non-functioning) controller makes the Windows installer respond with a request for a driver so it can find one. The Linux installer is more informative and proceeds until it encounters the defective HDD and tells you it's been put in "read only" mode, commonly done to protect a dead or failing HDD's contents for possible data recovery.

I'd attach it to another system, test it thoroughly and clear any read-only flags (if possible) and/or recover data if you can't get it fully read/write capable.
Thank you.

"How was the replacement motherboard tested to assure it was functional?"
The motherboard was bought from a store selling used computers and parts. The store keeper and I did an assembling of the hardware and installation of Win7 Home and ran the OS for a few minutes.

"If it was tested with a full system complement (CPU/memory/drives/display) then it seems logical something could be wrong with the above parts you are using, especially the hard drives."
I do not know, but really can not think of anything wrong. As for the hard drives, I tried five (5) of them:
Hitachi HDT722525DLA380
Hitachi HDP725050GLA380
Toshba MK1032GSX
Hitachi HDS728080PLA380/
Seagate PN:9S1134-286
Seagate PN:90G132-188
All these are good HDDs and I use them now and then on my Windows 10 PCs.

Regarding the hard drive controller, this is technology. I do not know anything of it. Have questions:
<1> Can the hard drive controller be restored by a common PC user if it is damaged by the previously said accident?
I roughly remember that Win7 installer said that the drivers or driver controller might be on a CD or USB flash drive.
<2> The second motherboard as said in Episode 2 was a good one. Why it had no hard drive controller?

Thank you.

"W7 will not let you install on a removable drives if that's what you mean by
"3-4b. Target drive."
3-4b. is talking about installing Linus distos.

"Target drives were USB flash sticks, 4gb to 16gb and momory card, 32gb. "
Not the way you can make a Live linux distro."
I have been test-running many light weight Linux distros on USB live bootable flash sticks, 2gb to 8gb.
We might have a misunderstanding, "Target drive" is drive to install OS to. W7 can't do that directly only as "Windows to Go" which is different process.
Most Linux distros can be installed as Live much easier and if there's enough space with "Persistence" part of 4GB to keep all changes and installed features.

Regarding the hard drive controller, this is technology. I do not know anything of it. Have questions:
<1> Can the hard drive controller be restored by a common PC user if it is damaged by the previously said accident?
I roughly remember that Win7 installer said that the drivers or driver controller might be on a CD or USB flash drive.
<2> The second motherboard as said in Episode 2 was a good one. Why it had no hard drive controller?

1> If broken or damaged there's no easy way to replace the motherboard controller as it's in the PCH, part of the motherboard's chipset. But you should be able to disable the controller in BIOS and use a PCIe expansion card controller instead. Be sure to pick one with an on-board ROM to allow booting from it with Windows 7.

2>If you're confident the HDD's and the motherboard was functional there may be another explanation. I expected the drivers for Intel chipsets to be included in a Win7 installation package but Acer might make their systems proprietary, meaning you'd need their drivers. You might have to obtain a driver package from the Acer support web site for the board and provide that on a USB flash drive when the installer asks.

Last edited:

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
1> If broken or damaged there's no easy way to replace the motherboard controller as it's in the PCH, part of the motherboard's chipset. But you should be able to disable the controller in BIOS and use a PCIe expansion card controller instead. Be sure to pick one with an on-board ROM to allow booting from it with Windows 7.

2>If you're confident the HDD's and the motherboard was functional there may be another explanation. I expected the drivers for Intel chipsets to be included in a Win7 installation package but Acer might make their systems proprietary, meaning you'd need their drivers. You might have to obtain a driver package from the Acer support web site for the board and provide that on a USB flash drive when the installer asks.

Thank you.

Looks that I would have to give up. For 2 reasons:
  1. Motherboard G45T AM2 V:1.0 in the Acer aspire M5700 I bought is in fact different from the the motherboard layout of G45T AM2 V:1.0. Do not know whether it is proprietary or modified by Acer. As usual, Acer would not supply any parts or components or software or drivers or anything if the machine it out of the period of time of their warranty.
  2. The machine, Acer Aspire M5700 was originally installed with Windows Vista.
I installed Win7. This gives Acer the reason not even to reply my request.

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014

Hello, Mr. Drea.drechsler.

THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH!
I had the problem for almost 6 moths. And sought for help on 9 forums. No one said anything about the CONTROLLER.

Based on what you have said, I made an assumption: Another edition of Windows 7 on a new disc could install successfully on the second motherboard. So I did. Installed Windows 7 Ultimate and Ninux Mint.

THANK YOU AND REALLY APPRECIATE.
Diano.