Alan

i recently upgraded to XP home edition.
i cannot find my documents from MY DOCUMENTS.
are they gone? can i migrate them?
help?

--
Thanks!

Alan

If the documents were produced with MS Word, they would all have the
extension .doc .. so, a search where one types *.doc into the search box
should reveal the locations of all Word generated documents.. you could do
the same with any file type.. it works as well with .sam, .lwp, .mp3, .txt
etc..

Assuming that you find your files in the above manner, you can use drag and
drop to move them into XP's default folder for this kind of file..

If the files do not show up in a search of the entire computer, one would
have to assume that you did a clean install, not the upgrade..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i recently upgraded to XP home edition.
> i cannot find my documents from MY DOCUMENTS.
> are they gone? can i migrate them?
> help?
>
> --
> Thanks!

Alan

Thanks but neither is true. I searched all doc files, also opened word and
did a search using it but to no avail.
I did not do a clean install, it was definitely an upgrade.
One would think that moving from one MS product to another that all other MS
products would work. It also lost all my contacts in Outlook.
HELP?
--
Thanks!

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Alan
>
> If the documents were produced with MS Word, they would all have the
> extension .doc .. so, a search where one types *.doc into the search box
> should reveal the locations of all Word generated documents.. you could do
> the same with any file type.. it works as well with .sam, .lwp, .mp3, .txt
> etc..
>
> Assuming that you find your files in the above manner, you can use drag and
> drop to move them into XP's default folder for this kind of file..
>
> If the files do not show up in a search of the entire computer, one would
> have to assume that you did a clean install, not the upgrade..
>

> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i recently upgraded to XP home edition.
> > i cannot find my documents from MY DOCUMENTS.
> > are they gone? can i migrate them?
> > help?
> >
> > --
> > Thanks!

Ron

> Yes and No. I had a directory called My Documents with several subs for
> My
> Pics, etc. Nothing from the My Documents seems to have come over.
> However,
> pics held in other directories like My Pics did come over. It basically
> seems to have lost My Documents and everything in it.
> I did try to do a File transfer from Old system to New system.
> Interestingly, it does a transfer of 1 file with an extension of .unc and
> it
> is 25Meg. I wonder if that's it but it's compressed somehow?
> Also considered doing uninstall. Then burn a cd with my files and then
> reinstall. Do you know if an unstall reinitiates the old Windows?
> HELP and Thanks!
> WAM
> --
> Thanks!
>

> "DaveM59" wrote:
>

>> Did _any_ of your old data files make it through the upgrade?
>>

>> --
>> DaveM59
>> DaveM59's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=2000
>> View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-1871033293

When I did my upgrade from Win98 to XP it appeared that I had lost my
documents but I found them under c:\My Documents and not where XP was trying
to find them under my user account.