Question Where do i connect my aio headers to?

Oct 17, 2019
I have an asus maximus viii formula motherboard, and it is my first time installing an aio liquid cooler, so i'm having trouble with connecting the headers to my motherboard. The cooler that i have is a deepcool castle 240 rgb v2. The pump has 2 3 pin headers, and the 2 fans both have 2 4 pin headers. I know that the cooler came with this header connectors that connect them all together, but i think it is only to be able to control the rgb if your motherboard does not have compatible rgb sync, which i think mine does.

Where would i connect all the headers to, and what header would i use to connect to the rgb header? Since the fans each have 2 4 pin headers, i am confused as to where i am supposed to put them, because my motherboard does not have enough headers for all those , including the case fans that i obviously need to connect to as well.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For the COOLING part of that Deepcool castle 240 rgb v2 system there are two connections to be made to mobo fan headers. One is a female fan connector with 3 holes on a cable from the PUMP. It should plug into the CPU_FAN header. This provides power to the PUMP unit, and also ensures that that header will monitor the pump speed signal for FAILURE and warn you if that ever happens. Then there's a small Splitter box with four 4-pin output sockets that you use to plug in the two FANS on the radiator. From that box there is a female fan connector with four holes that should go to the CPU_OPT header to provide power and speed control of those fans. Changing the speed of these rad FANS is how the system controls CPU cooling; the PUMP motor always runs full speed. To configure these two mobo fan headers see the manual, p. 3-38, and configure each of them the same way: CPU Q-Fan Control in PWM Mode; CPU_FAN profile Standard. This makes use of a quirk of fan design so that the 3-pin PUMP receives a constant +12 VDC supply on its Pin #2 and runs full speed all the time; the rad fans, on the other hand, will have their speeds managed by the mobo CPU_OPT header guided by a temperature sensor inside the CPU chip.

For the ARGB lights part, you do NOT have a suitable header on your mobo for that. The only header it has for lighting is a plain RGB type (manual p. 1-46), not the ARGB type you would need. So you will need to use the manual control box and ARGB Hub that comes with your cooling system. See the Deepcool castle 240 rgb v2 manual, on the bottom right corner. The manual control box has three buttons you use to make settings, and cables coming out of each end. One cable goes to a SATA power output connector from the PSU for light power; the other connects to an input cable from the ARGB Hub. The lighting components of each rad fan PLUS those in the pump unit have their own different locking connectors, and these plug into labelled sockets on the Hub. In the diagram, items 12 and 13 are alternate cables that could be used to connect lighting control signals to the Hub instead of the manual box IF your mobo had such a header. It does not, so you do not make ANY lighting cable connection to your mobo.

When you get to connecting case ventilation fans your mobo has four CHA_FANn headers for that. See manual p. 3-38. Two of the default settings need to be changed for EACH of these headers that you are using. Set them all to PWM Mode IF your fans are 4-pin, but leave any headers for 3-pin fans on DC Mode. Then for all set the CHA_FAN Q-Fan Source to Motherboard so that these fans are guided by the temperature sensor on the mobo, and not by the one inside the CPU chip. REMEMBER after setting fan header configurations to use the Esc key back to main menu, then F10 to get to the Exit menu. (p. 3-53). There choose the SAVE and RESET option to save your new settings and reboot.

IF you have more than four case fans, the best option probably is using simple SPLITTERS, and not fan HUBS - if you need more details, post back here exactly what case cans you have, and how many, so we can advise.

Oct 17, 2019
For the COOLING part of that Deepcool castle 240 rgb v2 system there are two connections to be made to mobo fan headers. One is a female fan connector with 3 holes on a cable from the PUMP. It should plug into the CPU_FAN header. This provides power to the PUMP unit, and also ensures that that header will monitor the pump speed signal for FAILURE and warn you if that ever happens. Then there's a small Splitter box with four 4-pin output sockets that you use to plug in the two FANS on the radiator. From that box there is a female fan connector with four holes that should go to the CPU_OPT header to provide power and speed control of those fans. Changing the speed of these rad FANS is how the system controls CPU cooling; the PUMP motor always runs full speed. To configure these two mobo fan headers see the manual, p. 3-38, and configure each of them the same way: CPU Q-Fan Control in PWM Mode; CPU_FAN profile Standard. This makes use of a quirk of fan design so that the 3-pin PUMP receives a constant +12 VDC supply on its Pin #2 and runs full speed all the time; the rad fans, on the other hand, will have their speeds managed by the mobo CPU_OPT header guided by a temperature sensor inside the CPU chip.

For the ARGB lights part, you do NOT have a suitable header on your mobo for that. The only header it has for lighting is a plain RGB type (manual p. 1-46), not the ARGB type you would need. So you will need to use the manual control box and ARGB Hub that comes with your cooling system. See the Deepcool castle 240 rgb v2 manual, on the bottom right corner. The manual control box has three buttons you use to make settings, and cables coming out of each end. One cable goes to a SATA power output connector from the PSU for light power; the other connects to an input cable from the ARGB Hub. The lighting components of each rad fan PLUS those in the pump unit have their own different locking connectors, and these plug into labelled sockets on the Hub. In the diagram, items 12 and 13 are alternate cables that could be used to connect lighting control signals to the Hub instead of the manual box IF your mobo had such a header. It does not, so you do not make ANY lighting cable connection to your mobo.

When you get to connecting case ventilation fans your mobo has four CHA_FANn headers for that. See manual p. 3-38. Two of the default settings need to be changed for EACH of these headers that you are using. Set them all to PWM Mode IF your fans are 4-pin, but leave any headers for 3-pin fans on DC Mode. Then for all set the CHA_FAN Q-Fan Source to Motherboard so that these fans are guided by the temperature sensor on the mobo, and not by the one inside the CPU chip. REMEMBER after setting fan header configurations to use the Esc key back to main menu, then F10 to get to the Exit menu. (p. 3-53). There choose the SAVE and RESET option to save your new settings and reboot.

IF you have more than four case fans, the best option probably is using simple SPLITTERS, and not fan HUBS - if you need more details, post back here exactly what case cans you have, and how many, so we can advise.

I have an nzxt h500 case, so it comes with 2 case fans. I am assuming i plug those into the CHA_FAN headers?

Oct 17, 2019
Yes. The case web page says the two fans included are their AER F120 models, which are 4-pin PWM type fans. So my advice to change the CHA_FAN headers o use the newer PWM Mode applies. With 2 fans and 4 headers, you have no problem.

Gotcha. So to make sure i did it correctly. I first plug in the 3 pin header from the pump into the cpu fan headers/pump header, then i plug in the other 3 pin header from the pump and plug that into the 3 pin splitter's ''out'' header, and plug in the other 2 3 pin headers from the radiator fans into that same 3 pin header, and connect the splitter into the rgb controller which connects to the sata cable header, and connect that to my power supply.

Then i plug in the 2 radiator 4 pin headers into the 4 pin splitter, and plug just the splitter header into my cpu fan header on my motherboard, under where i plugged in the pump header on the motherboard.

Lastly, i plug in the 2 case fan headers into the CHA_FAN header on my motherboard.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Lots of "3-pin headers" there! First step, the 3-hole FAN connector from the pump goes to the CPU_FAN header. Do NOT try to use the Pump header of the mobo. Your next several steps all concern the 3-pin ARGB lighting cables from the Pump and rad fans. And that "3-pin Splitter" is the one for those ARGB lights.

Next paragraph comes back the the 4-hole rad FAN cables that do plug into the FAN Splitter supplied. That Splitter's input cable must plug into the CPU_OPT header, and not the CPU_FAN header. Then the two case fans to CHA_FAN headers, as you say. Enjoy!

Oct 17, 2019
Lots of "3-pin headers" there! First step, the 3-hole FAN connector from the pump goes to the CPU_FAN header. Do NOT try to use the Pump header of the mobo. Your next several steps all concern the 3-pin ARGB lighting cables from the Pump and rad fans. And that "3-pin Splitter" is the one for those ARGB lights.

Next paragraph comes back the the 4-hole rad FAN cables that do plug into the FAN Splitter supplied. That Splitter's input cable must plug into the CPU_OPT header, and not the CPU_FAN header. Then the two case fans to CHA_FAN headers, as you say. Enjoy!

Thank you! I have done just that. The 3 pin pump header is now in the CPU_FAN, the other 3 pin coming out from the pump is now in the splitters “out”, connecting the other two 3 pin headers from the radiator fans into the controller, which has a sata cable attached to it.

The 2 ,4 pin radiator fan headers are in the 4 pin splitter, which is now connected to CPU_OPT.

My final question is, since i connected the 3 pin pump header to the CPU_FAN, that leaves 1 pin unattached. Does it matter if its the left pin or the right pin that is left unattached? Because i plugged it in from the left side, so the very last pin on the right side of my CPU_FAN (pin 4 from left to right) which is the CPU FAN PWM, unattached. Is that ok?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes,, it matters, but you would REALLY have to work at it to get it wrong. Look closely at the connector and you'll see there are two ridges running up one side of the connector body. You also will see that the line of holes is not in the centre - it is closer to one side than to the other. On the mobo male (with pins) header there's a plastic "tongue" sticking up beside the first three pins. So, when you go to plug in, if you turn it the wrong way, it won't go on. Even turned the right way, you will be forced to line it up correctly because the grooves on the side must fit around the plastic tongue.

On the mobo header, Pin #4 is the one that carries the PWM signal for 4-pin fans. 3-pin fans cannot use that signal and never connect to it.