Nov 21, 2018
Hi, I'm new to water-cooling so excuse me if I sound like a noob cuz I am.

Water-cooling Setup:
Motherboard - Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula
CPU Block - EKWB Velocity D-RGB
Pump/Res Combo - Thermaltake Pacific PR33-S
Radiator - Thermaltake Pacific CL480
Radiator Fans - 4 x Thermaltake Riing Trio 12 (no case fans cuz I got an open air case)
RGB Sync - Thermaltake TT Sync Controller Premium Edition

I'm finishing up my hardline tubing right now and will soon be ready for a leak test. Unfortunately my motherboard user manual has been unclear about where I should plug everything in, so I just want to be absolutely sure so I don't accidentally break anything.

First, the radiator fans. I'm using a Thermaltake TT Sync Controller to have every component in my rig synced with Asus Aura. The TT Sync Controller has a PWM connecter for every 3 fans and since I have 4, I will need to use 2 of those connectors. My question is: Where do I plug those in?? The Thermaltake manual only says "plug 'em into your motherboard" and after reading the motherboard's manual I found PWN connectors, but none of which exactly say "radiator fan PWM". This is what I found: CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT, CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, CHA_FAN3, AIO_PUMP, EXT_FAN , H_AMP, W_PUMP+. I think CPU_FAN is for the CPU cooler fan, idk what CPU_OPT is, and CHA_FAN I think is the case fan. Since I'm not using those connectors for case fans, can I use two of them and (using a PWM cable) plug them into the TT Sync Controller which will be connected to my radiator fans? If not, where should I plug in the PWM cables from the radiator fans?

Second, the pump. The pump in the pump/res combo is a Swiftech MCP50 which has 2 cables coming out of it: a PWM cable and a SATA. Where do I plug those in? Regarding the PWN, the Thermaltake manual says nothing, and after reading the motherboard's manual the only pump related PWN was the AIO_PUMP and the W_PUMP+. I didn't think it was the AIO_PUMP since I'm not using an AIO, but the W_PUMP+ says it's for "the fan of your water cooling kit". Idk what that is but it doesn't sound like just the pump. So where should the pump's PWM cable be plugged in? Regarding the SATA cable, do I plug it into my motherboard cuz I think there are some SATA connectors there for the HDD, or do I plug it directly into the power supply?

Thank you so much in advance,

-Abudee

Solution
Well, looks like you picked out a board with all the options.

All those PWM ports are interchangeable. It just depends on what you use to control them.

The CPU and CPU_OPT are for single and dual fan air coolers. That would control the fan RPM with CPU temperature. (Though you can reconfigure that)

The AIO_Pump header is intended for AIO pumps, they typically run at half the speed as fan RPM so they are configured to display the correct RPM when used. Presumably the W_PUMP+ is another port that will also ramp up and down with the pump speed.

So essentially, plug the PWM connector on the Swiftech pump to the header you want to use to control it. Power will come from the SATA connector so you don't have to worry about overloading a...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

All those PWM ports are interchangeable. It just depends on what you use to control them.

The CPU and CPU_OPT are for single and dual fan air coolers. That would control the fan RPM with CPU temperature. (Though you can reconfigure that)

The AIO_Pump header is intended for AIO pumps, they typically run at half the speed as fan RPM so they are configured to display the correct RPM when used. Presumably the W_PUMP+ is another port that will also ramp up and down with the pump speed.

So essentially, plug the PWM connector on the Swiftech pump to the header you want to use to control it. Power will come from the SATA connector so you don't have to worry about overloading a header.

Same with the fans.

One option would be to use the CPU for the pump and the CPU_OPT for the fans so they ramp up together. You can individually control those ramp curves with the motherboard, and also likely whatever software you are wanting to use to control things.

Really aren't any standards here, just stuff you are going to have to play with until you are satisfied.

The key here is that once you have the BIOS loaded all of these headers will likely have individual controls.

Solution
Nov 21, 2018

So essentially, plug the PWM connector on the Swiftech pump to the header you want to use to control it. Power will come from the SATA connector so you don't have to worry about overloading a header.

Same with the fans.

One option would be to use the CPU for the pump and the CPU_OPT for the fans so they ramp up together. You can individually control those ramp curves with the motherboard, and also likely whatever software you are wanting to use to control things.

Really aren't any standards here, just stuff you are going to have to play with until you are satisfied.

The key here is that once you have the BIOS loaded all of these headers will likely have individual controls.
Good to know. Answered my question perfectly.

Thank you so much!