Question Where should I put my feet when building my PC

Dec 3, 2020
Hi, sorry if this sounds stupid

My room has carpet on the floor and I believe that could lead to me zapping my parts with static and breaking them? How can I combat this, without an anti static band (all the ones I've looked at on Amazon within budget seem to not have passed continuity tests)?

Would putting a plank of wood on my floor and then keeping my feet on there at all times work? Is chipboard ok to use for that?

Would me tapping my PSU/a metal part of my case every 1 minute help stop the risk of zapping my parts?

Thanks all and sorry if this sounds stupid

James

Dude...
When i operate on my pc,my feet are always on the carpet,no short circuit,shock or anything.
When i do something to my pc it ussually takes 2hours or so,and i operate on it idk like every month,just cleaning,repasting cpu and just maintaining my pc.
Just touch the psu metal if you feel static building up on you.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Static electricity is exactly what it sounds like, it's a charge that builds up and doesn't go anywhere or do anything. Until it does.

It's the differences in charge that create issues, so if walking across the carpet builds up 1000v and the case is at 500v, you'll get a jump of 250v as it tries to equalize the pressure.

So continuously touching the frame is a good thing, keeps the charges equal on you and pc.

Just do NOT ground the pc to electric socket. Then instead of a 250v jump to equalize, it's the full 1000v as there's no voltage buffer on the case, it's now at 0v, grounded. That's where damage occurs.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not a dumb question and one many have when first starting out, myself included.

its not a big deal really s long as you are not wearing your wool footie pj's and dancing a jig while your working. ground yourself when you start and when you step away from the pc and it'll be fine. or if a simple precaution is t wear your sneakers since the rubber sole prvents the carpet from building the charge in you. does not make you imune to static but pretty close :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Last time I cleaned out my big pc, I was sitting on a carpet floor cross-legged, barefoot, in my nice thick fleese jammies, using a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment and an artists 1/2" long square brush.

Had one foot in constant contact with the plug end of the power cord, effectively equalizing anything and everything all the time. Exactly no different to a static strap wrapped around your ankle.

But then again, I've been cleaning pc's without mishap for 40 odd years.