[SOLVED] Where to connect liquid cooler in motherboard headers

IridescentCheese

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
Hello, so I was going to do a case swap and replace my PSU once I get the parts. I looked at my PC's hardware and I noticed that my motherboard has two CPU fan headers, and this whole time my liquid cooler pump is actually connected in to the system fan header 1. My radiator fan is connected in to CPU fan header 1, while one of the case fans is actually connected in the CPU fan header 2.

Silly question but should I have plugged the pump in cpu header 1 and the radiator fan to cpu header 2? Thanks.

Mobo: MSI Z170a PC MATE
Cooler: ID Cooling Icekimo 120mm

Solution
Hello, so I was going to do a case swap and replace my PSU once I get the parts. I looked at my PC's hardware and I noticed that my motherboard has two CPU fan headers, and this whole time my liquid cooler pump is actually connected in to the system fan header 1. My radiator fan is connected in to CPU fan header 1, while one of the case fans is actually connected in the CPU fan header 2.

Silly question but should I have plugged the pump in cpu header 1 and the radiator fan to cpu header 2? Thanks.

Yes anything that is needed for the CPU cooling should be plugged into any and all CPU Fan Headers or PUMP Fan headers that you have. SO what's happening right now in your rig...

Ferimer

Distinguished

Yes anything that is needed for the CPU cooling should be plugged into any and all CPU Fan Headers or PUMP Fan headers that you have. SO what's happening right now in your rig is that when the CPU heats up to a certain temp it adjusts the volts to increase the Fan speed to increase airflow. Now instead of it doing that for your Cooler fans its doing it to 1 cooling fan and the one case fan. So just swap and make sure that you have the proper CPU Cooling Fans plugged into the CPU Fan Headers that are on the MOBO and plug the Case fan into a SYS Fan Header

Solution