[SOLVED] Where to Find Memory Timing Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2019
Building a new computer. Gigabyte z390 Designair Motherboard with I9 9900 k. What is the correct memory timing for these components? What controls the memory timing the MoBo or Processor?

Solution
And to expand on what MeanMachine has correctly explained, there is also the fact that there technically IS NO "right" set of timings for your platform. If you get slower RAM with high or loose timings, then you'll tend towards somewhat lower performance, even if only on benchmarks.

If you get faster memory with lower/tighter timings, then you can expect performance to gravitate the other way. There is no "right", when it comes to seeking specific timings before purchasing. Your system could work fine with anything from 2133mhz sticks with 15-15-15-35 to 3200mhz sticks with 14-14-14-28 timings, or anything in between, or even much looser timings in the CAS 16-18 range.

Since you have an unlocked board and CPU, there are few...
Hi Lou-Barnegat :)

Whatever RAM kit you choose will have the Primary Timings and recommended Voltage listed on the DIMMs or box they came in. This information (called SPD (Serial presence detect) is also listed in either the MB Bios or can be found in CPUz.
For your MB, SPD is entered either manually or from a profile called XMP. Generally upon initial start up, POST (Power on self test) will interrogate your RAM and set a default safe set of values that will allow your system to boot.
If the frequency of your RAM exceeds the JDEC standard then you have to manually set SPD.
SPD is used by the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) built into your CPU die.

And to expand on what MeanMachine has correctly explained, there is also the fact that there technically IS NO "right" set of timings for your platform. If you get slower RAM with high or loose timings, then you'll tend towards somewhat lower performance, even if only on benchmarks.

If you get faster memory with lower/tighter timings, then you can expect performance to gravitate the other way. There is no "right", when it comes to seeking specific timings before purchasing. Your system could work fine with anything from 2133mhz sticks with 15-15-15-35 to 3200mhz sticks with 14-14-14-28 timings, or anything in between, or even much looser timings in the CAS 16-18 range.

Since you have an unlocked board and CPU, there are few limitations on what you can go with, unlike the lower end budget chipsets that may be limited to anywhere from 2133-2666mhz modules. Timings however are rarely, if ever, limited by chipset or CPU, so long as they are not your own custom settings in which case there are never any guarantees at all and results will be based on a lot of trial and error.

Solution

instyne

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
I'm in the middle of putting my new system together. I have a ROG Maximus Xl Formula with the i9-9900K CPU The recommended memory speed on that chip is 2666mh, I bought 16GB of T-Force Night Hawk Legend 3200mh with 14-14-14-31 timing at 1.35V . The reason I went higher mh is for overclocking, You can set your motherboard to automatically control all that unless you want to get into overclocking and adjust voltage and timings yourself. Just don't underpower your memory and later wish you had gotten the higher speed. It's a big CPU don't starve it.

That's not the "recommended" speed. That's the "DEFAULT" speed. For the 9900k anything from 2666mhz to 3200mhz is probably a good choice. I wouldn't even worry about timings unless you are looking to buy very good memory and then I'd make sure that it is a 3200mhz CL14 set of sticks which will almost certainly mean they are Samsung B-die IC equipped memory modules.

instyne

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2015
Thank you ever so much for that clarification. While default is technically correct, many people will stop at that point and not question it further. My suggestion that it's a recommendation tends to make people ask, "what else is recommended or Possible, many times leading to more research on what can be done. I'm a bit older and came to this hobby or way of life depending on your point of view right about the time I turned 60. I obviously have too much time on my hands. The following is my current build, which is my 5th. I totally believe in doing as much research as possible, and encourage others who don't have a lot of expertise to do the same. And no, I'm not trying to be snarky with this response.

Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Corsair - H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
T/team-t-force-night-hawk-legend-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-memory
Western Digital - Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Crucial - P1 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Crucial - P1 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Western Digital - Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card[/url] (2-Way SLI)
Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card[/url] (2-Way SLI)
Corsair - 760T White ATX Full Tower Case
Corsair - RMx White 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Corsair - HD120 RGB 3-Pack w/Controller 54.4 CFM 120 mm Fans
Corsair - HD140 RGB 74 CFM 140 mm Fan
Edited

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.