[SOLVED] Where to plug in AIO

ssjsteve

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I have a Asetek 550lc I am trying to figure out where to plug in the 3pin connect that is attached to the part that attaches to the CPU and where do i plug in the fan that is attached to it. My motherboard is a MSI Z370A Pro. On the attached pictures I have Pump_Fan, sys_fan2, cpu_fan1.

Solution
It does not really matter which - all that's really different is the out of box fan/pump curves for each header.
Liquid cooling specified headers are set at a flat 'curve' of 100%, and the other headers aren't. You can go into bios and change either as you see fit.
4pin headers are backwards compatible with 3pin plugs.

At the very least, the cooler's fan should go into CPU_FAN.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It does not really matter which - all that's really different is the out of box fan/pump curves for each header.
Liquid cooling specified headers are set at a flat 'curve' of 100%, and the other headers aren't. You can go into bios and change either as you see fit.

Reactions: ssjsteve
Solution

ssjsteve

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

So if I plugged the pump into pump_fan just make sure in the bios it's set to 100% for that header?

ssjsteve

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

Ok I will plug the fan into the CPU_FAN header and the pump into PUMP_FAN and just make sure the PUMP_FAN is set to 100%. And that should work?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, that's the default curve - if you can call it that - for liquid cooling defined headers. The other headers have the typical low to high rpm curves based on temperature.

If you plug it in to PUMP_FAN and power it on, it'll run at 100% the entire time. But, as I posted, you can go into bios and change that curve if you wish.
It's just what the manufacturer set it at is all, nothing to check. Make changes if you need/want to.

ssjsteve

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
No, that's the default curve - if you can call it that - for liquid cooling defined headers. The other headers have the typical low to high rpm curves based on temperature.

If you plug it in to PUMP_FAN and power it on, it'll run at 100% the entire time. But, as I posted, you can go into bios and change that curve if you wish.
It's just what the manufacturer set it at is all, nothing to check. Make changes if you need/want to.
Ok thank you very much for the help.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The fundamental design of this cooler system is that the PUMP mounted on the CPU chip should always run at full speed. In your case, that means plugging it into the PUMP_FAN header and configuring that for a PWM Mode control and default full speed. In fact, the wiring of the pump makes use of a quirk of the design of 4-pin fans. When you plug a 3-pin fan into a 4-pin header using the new PWM Mode of control, that fan will always run full speed. So the PUMP in this system is wired like a 3-pin fan, and has a female connector on it with THREE holes. Then the RAD FAN speed will be controlled automatically if you plug that into your CPU_FAN header. That header uses as its guide the temp sensor inside the CPU chip, and it will govern the RAD FAN speed according to that internal temperature. Having ONLY the fan speed change, and NOT the pump speed too, means those two do NOT "fight each other" to maintain control.