Where to start overclocking my new system.

michaelchute

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
So the past few days I've been ordering parts for a new system, my first in 4-5 years. I'm hoping to get some direction on how to get the most out of it. Here is my very, very thought out parts list. Keep in mind this was all built for ivybridge forward compatibility to get the longest life out of the parts.

- Intel 2500k processor
- Corsair H60 water cooling system
- Asus P8z68-v gen3 motherboard (chose this over the ROG model since the gen3 isn't out yet)
- 2x4gb g.skill low voltage 1.25v 1600 RAM
- EVGA gtx 560 TI fpb w/lifetime warranty and option to step up within 90 days, for when prices come down. Plan is to SLI.
- Coolmax 1000w semi modular power supply
-Antec 300 case
- 3 additional cooler master 120mm case fans to fill in the case, pn R4-L2R-20AC-GP (thoughts on these? Seemed to be good performance for the noise)
- Ocz agility 120gb solid state drive, might get another one down the road to raid 0
-Windows 7 home premium, got the 3 user pack to also upgrade my laptop.

Now on to my questions.

- I don't have all the parts yet, but I'm looking for guidance on where to start overclocking. I would be happy with 4.5ghz, although I would really like to open it up and see what it can do.
- Is it worth while to overclock the RAM? Also, Ive been reading you can overclock the graphics port, is that also worth while or should I adjust it with MSI afterburner inside windows?
- Since PCIe 2.0 still isn't maxed out with current gen cards, what's every ones opinion on 3.0 for when the Kepler core GPU's come out?
- Is the lucid technology to use the graphics core on the processor with the GPU worth using? I will be doing some light video editing and programming, as well as games. I've read that its a hassle, but seems like it could be useful.
- Any suggestions on cooling? I've read that its best with the H60 to use the rear exhaust fan as an intake instead. I will be using the fan already in the case as well as the one provided by Corsair for a push/pull system. My only concern is that leaves only 1 140mm fan at the top to remove all the hot air from the case. This will probably only be an issue when I go SLI, although the motherboard has ample spacing between the ports.

Any and all suggestions and help are welcome, as well as a critique on the parts chosen, as I still have the option to return them if need be. THANKS!