Question Where's My Display? Black screens.

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
I've built a new PC. It has a Nvidia 4070ti card in it. 3 32" Samsung monitors are connected to the cards display port ports via an hdmi to display part cable.

With my computer on, all 3 displays are blank. All displays are set to HDMI 1. I can get to the monitor's menu, and I can change the input (ie HDMI 1, 2 and DisplayPort). The power leds on the monitors are blinking.

I unplugged one of the cables from the graphics card and plugged it into the DisplayPort of my onboard graphics and still no display.

Not sure what I need to do to get a display. :-(

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
I think it has something to do with my graphics card? The white diagnostic light is solid on the motherboard which I think means a graphics card issue. I've removed it and resent it a couple times and the light stays on. The card fans only fire up briefly during boot and then turn off (is thus normal?)

The card I believe is powered properly. 12 point connector at the GPU to 12VHPWR on the PSU. (The only place on the PSU I can see it connects to.

Edit: cross posted to https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/no-monitor-display-solid-white-mb-diagnostic-light.3844533/ as I think this is now a graphics card issue

Last edited:

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
This is cross posted from https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/wheres-my-display-black-screens.3844526/.

After connecting my 3 monitors to my GeForce 4070ti and failing to get any display, I turned my attention to the computer. I noticed the white diagnostic light was solid which I recall means a graphics card issue. My guess this isn't normal? The fans weren't running but the RGB was all lit up. I removed and reset the card a couple times with no change.

As far as I know, the card is powered properly. 16 pin (12 plus 4) connector at the card to the 12VGPWR 16 pin port on the PSU. (1000w)

Any thoughts on where I went wrong?

Lutfij

Titan
Please stick to one thread unless you want to give everyone spaghetti brains.

I've built a new PC.

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
Unfortunately I can't get into the computer to get you full specs. PSU is Toughpower GF3 1000w

Have to step away but can get more details later. Will try and access via onboard graphics to get specs.

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
Unfortunately I can't get into the computer to get you full specs. PSU is Toughpower GF3 1000w

Have to step away but can get more details later. Will try and access via onboard graphics to get specs.
My specs, everything is less than 6 months old.
Case: Planters Eclipse G360 Air Mid Tower Case
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D 12-Core/24 Thread 5nm 140 Cache 120W Zen4
CPU Cooler: DeepCool LS720 High Performance 360nm ARGB CPU liquid Cooler
RAM: Kingston Fury Beast 64 GB (2x 32) DDR5 5700MHz CL36
Storage: WD Black SN770 2TB PCIe Gen4
NVMe M.2 SSD
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti OC 12GB GDDR6X Edition
MB: Prime X670E-PRO WiFi 6E
Socket AM5 (LG1618) Ryzen 7000
PSU: ThermalTake Toughpower GF3
1000W
80+ Gold Full Modular A
TX 3.0

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you remove the 4070 Ti and use the on-board video (connect display to motherboard video output), will the system start?

Also, are both 8-pin and the 24-pin power connectors from the PSU to the motherboard firmly attached on both ends (PSU and motherboard)?

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
If you remove the 4070 Ti and use the on-board video (connect display to motherboard video output), will the system start?

Also, are both 8-pin and the 24-pin power connectors from the PSU to the motherboard firmly attached on both ends (PSU and motherboard)?
GPU removed. White light still solidly illuminated and monitor plugged into onboard displayport not responding. :-(

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Couple things to look at.

First, AM5 systems can take a couple minutes to start when first put together. The system needs to "train" itself with the hardware you have installed.

Second, try manually resetting the BIOS and try powering on again.

The method i have used for many years follows:

1. Disconnect all power sources. Power cable, video, powered speakers, etc.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press the power button to discharge residual power stored in system components.
4. Wait at least a minute with battery removed (probably not necessary, but out of habit I have done this way for decades).
5. Reinstall battery.
6. Reconnect all previously disconnected things.
7. Power on.

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
Couple things to look at.

First, AM5 systems can take a couple minutes to start when first put together. The system needs to "train" itself with the hardware you have installed.

Second, try manually resetting the BIOS and try powering on again.

The method i have used for many years follows:

1. Disconnect all power sources. Power cable, video, powered speakers, etc.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press the power button to discharge residual power stored in system components.
4. Wait at least a minute with battery removed (probably not necessary, but out of habit I have done this way for decades).
5. Reinstall battery.
6. Reconnect all previously disconnected things.
7. Power on.
Thank you. I will try this tomorrow. The system did work on my work bench with my 16" monitor as I managed to install windows. I have been using it up to today when I relocated it to the game room and the 3x 32" monitors. Speakers and USB drives via a USB hub and an ethernet cable are new from the workbench.

Hope it can be figured out. Too much investment to toss to the curb.

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks COLGeek. What recall everything mounted just fine. All offsets lined up and were used. Are you saying that not all offsets have to be used? I could see that adding to a lot of trial and error.

Seems odd how everything was fine until moved 30' to another room.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks COLGeek. What recall everything mounted just fine. All offsets lined up and were used. Are you saying that not all offsets have to be used? I could see that adding to a lot of trial and error.

Seems odd how everything was fine until moved 30' to another room.
That suggests something loose or out of place. Yes, there are variations to the ATX mounting points used by different motherboards. An extra can make contact with the motherboard circuitry and cause issues.

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
A fresh day to start again. Open everything up, disconnected every cable and reconnected at both the MB and the PSU. Removed and reset all internal components. Still no love. Completed the instructions in post 10 and connected a different monitor HDMI to onboard HDMI. It worked. Replaced the GPU and connected same monitor with same cable. It worked. Yay.

Put it all back together and connected my 3 32" Toshiba 4k monitors to the GPU's display ports and boom ... back to solid white diagnostic light and no display.

I suspect I am using the wrong converting cables. I am using HDMI to Displayport. But these particular cables, the HDMI is at the GPU and DP at the monitor. I am using them the other way around and that is the problem no doubt.