Question Which 3d Glasses will work?

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I've got a BenQ x500i projector and I want to try out a 3D Bluray. I know the projector supports 3D, but the manual doesn't specifically say what kind of glasses. From other sources, I believe it's DLP-Link glasses and I think passive would work. Passive as opposed to active glasses which actually have to be electronically charged.

Anyway, can I use passive or active? Do I need a "module" to run the passive? I'm confused by the stuff I'm reading. Also, the title I played in 3D wasn't a split screen or top/bottom screen but looked more like old school blue/red 3D image where the image on the screen has a short of overlapping shadow. Do different movies require different kinds of glasses? Clearly, I'm confused. Please set me straight before I buy a set of glasses. And BTW, these things aren't as cheap as I thought they'd be, especially considering I would probably only use them as a novelty.

Also, could I use active glasses? Would this make a big difference? I really have no idea.

Thanks if you can help!

kanewolf

Titan
I've got a BenQ x500i projector and I want to try out a 3D Bluray. I know the projector supports 3D, but the manual doesn't specifically say what kind of glasses. From other sources, I believe it's DLP-Link glasses and I think passive would work. Passive as opposed to active glasses which actually have to be electronically charged.

Anyway, can I use passive or active? Do I need a "module" to run the passive? I'm confused by the stuff I'm reading. Also, the title I played in 3D wasn't a split screen or top/bottom screen but looked more like old school blue/red 3D image where the image on the screen has a short of overlapping shadow. Do different movies require different kinds of glasses? Clearly, I'm confused. Please set me straight before I buy a set of glasses. And BTW, these things aren't as cheap as I thought they'd be, especially considering I would probably only use them as a novelty.

Also, could I use active glasses? Would this make a big difference? I really have no idea.

Thanks if you can help!
Most 3D requires active glasses because it is easier to put the shutters in glasses than in something in front of a projector. Theaters can use passive glasses (two polarized lenses at right angles) because they can spend $$$$ on the projector. Home users generally use active glasses with an IR emitter to sync. The systems I have used were NVIDIA 3D and connected the emitter to a proprietary port on the graphics card.

The reviews for that projector say you need "DLP-Link glasses"