Question Which 3d Glasses will work?

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I've got a BenQ x500i projector and I want to try out a 3D Bluray. I know the projector supports 3D, but the manual doesn't specifically say what kind of glasses. From other sources, I believe it's DLP-Link glasses and I think passive would work. Passive as opposed to active glasses which actually have to be electronically charged.

Anyway, can I use passive or active? Do I need a "module" to run the passive? I'm confused by the stuff I'm reading. Also, the title I played in 3D wasn't a split screen or top/bottom screen but looked more like old school blue/red 3D image where the image on the screen has a short of overlapping shadow. Do different movies require different kinds of glasses? Clearly, I'm confused. Please set me straight before I buy a set of glasses. And BTW, these things aren't as cheap as I thought they'd be, especially considering I would probably only use them as a novelty.

Also, could I use active glasses? Would this make a big difference? I really have no idea.

Thanks if you can help!

kanewolf

Titan
I've got a BenQ x500i projector and I want to try out a 3D Bluray. I know the projector supports 3D, but the manual doesn't specifically say what kind of glasses. From other sources, I believe it's DLP-Link glasses and I think passive would work. Passive as opposed to active glasses which actually have to be electronically charged.

Anyway, can I use passive or active? Do I need a "module" to run the passive? I'm confused by the stuff I'm reading. Also, the title I played in 3D wasn't a split screen or top/bottom screen but looked more like old school blue/red 3D image where the image on the screen has a short of overlapping shadow. Do different movies require different kinds of glasses? Clearly, I'm confused. Please set me straight before I buy a set of glasses. And BTW, these things aren't as cheap as I thought they'd be, especially considering I would probably only use them as a novelty.

Also, could I use active glasses? Would this make a big difference? I really have no idea.

Thanks if you can help!
Most 3D requires active glasses because it is easier to put the shutters in glasses than in something in front of a projector. Theaters can use passive glasses (two polarized lenses at right angles) because they can spend $$$$ on the projector. Home users generally use active glasses with an IR emitter to sync. The systems I have used were NVIDIA 3D and connected the emitter to a proprietary port on the graphics card.

The reviews for that projector say you need "DLP-Link glasses"

Reactions: Muckster

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Kanewolf,

Okay, so you're saying passive glasses are not an option for the projector. I was able to use passive glasses when watching the same movie on my LED HDTV. I guess that's because the LED TV was able to do what the projector cannot.

So with active glasses, the emitter is coming from the projector via.. what? Bluetooth or something? Otherwise, I can play videos from my laptop or bluray movies via my ps4. I'm not sure where the emitter would come from if not the projector. Clarify? Thanks.