JonKing

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
Ok.. new to the forum but need some advice...

Im building a new system. Im pretty much sorted about what components to use..

Core Duo E6600
PC8500 Ram maybe ocz
8800GTX probably the xfx (maybe another one in the future for SLI)

Ive read that some of the P965 Mobos out perform the 680i but wanted to have faith in the hype..

Thing is.. which one? They are all priced expensively.. striker etc a little more so.. I was looking at the Abit IN9 32X-MAX WiFi nForce 680 but how good is it for the money?

Should i be more modest and go for the EVGA, BFG, Asus offerings?
I would be looking for a modest OC to the system....

Anyone offer any good advice? Thanks for your time.

J

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Ive read that some of the P965 Mobos out perform the 680i
So why aren't you considering some of the P965 boards? Haven't you heard that a lot of those nVidia chipset boards are showing up a bit buggy? The ASUS P5B Deluxe is a rock solid mb, with great overclocking abilities. If you don't want to pop that kind of coin, consider the Gigabyte DS3, a very popular board with lots of the same features.

JonKing

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
Its a good point.

Ive caught a few updates showing up bugs. I reviewed the way the 680i works and thought it was superior to the P965.

Ive gone for the stripped down asus stryker. Lets hope it works ok..
Thanks for the advice all the same.
J

dmplssb

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
P965 seems like its already out of date to me... isn't it already being replaced later this year by bearlake?

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
P965 seems like its already out of date to me... isn't it already being replaced later this year by bearlake?
Isn't that the way this whole industry is? Like a carton of milk; as soon as you buy it, it's starting to curdle.

JonKing

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2007
I looked at that but its a 650 chip smuggled in.. not sure why they call it a plus as its the chip below the 680i.. shouldnt it be called a minus?

Read a review on overclockers that although it was more stable it wasnt quite as fast as the 680i.. which seems logical.. but the price was almost the same..

Lets hope patches to the 680i mobos make them stable and improve performance.. as it is only early days for them.

Latest posts