xZGxFire

Honorable
Aug 20, 2016
Hi there!
As the title says Im looking for an amp and a dac for my DT 990 Pro 250 ohm.

I previously bought FiiO E10k to drive them, but they weren't enough. I could hear, but they sounded as if I had windows volume at 50% or 40% with the gain knob to the max and windows volume maxed.

Then I bought Sound BlasterX G6 and the volume was such an improvement but I still had to pre-amp using software for like 1 to 4 dB for best volume (not that much though) even with the amplification set to High and 12 dB in their software. Need to return this because they came defective, even though I "kinda" like the volume, G6 was producing a pop sound every 5 - 15mins through the headphone which is annoying. There was no distortion or anything, but the pop was during a movie, song, or gaming which it takes you out of the moment. I did test this with another pair of headphones of I believe 32 ohms Logitech G Pro X Gaming headset and the pop still ocurred so the problem isn't with the DT 990 Pro.

Im willing to get a separate amp and dac, my budget is $240.
I was looking into a stack, Schiit Magni Heresy 100% Op-Amp-Based Headphone Amp and Preamp with Schiit Modi 3+ D/A COnverter - Delta-Sigma DAC (Black).
IF this combo is good, do I need 2 RCA Plug cables Male to Male to connect the stack? (I'm asking because I really don't know anything about this topic, I'm no audiophile)

I don't know much about studio headphones but I do know that I need more power to drive 250 ohms. I want to be able to not have the amp's knob all the way to the max.

I really like the sound of the DT 990 Pro 250 ohms and they are even better with the EQs that I use, but its sad that I can't drive them or listen to them without something going wrong like the pop sound every 5-15 mins.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes you will need to use cables to connect the DAC to a separate AMP.

But you don't need to go that high end to get a good sound for 250 ohm headphones, your issue is that both the Fiio and the SB you bought are only powered through the USB port, which limits the output power. You need an AMP/DAC with a separate power adapter.

You can even just use the motherboard audio and add an amp.

This little guy is great for the price...
Yes you will need to use cables to connect the DAC to a separate AMP.

But you don't need to go that high end to get a good sound for 250 ohm headphones, your issue is that both the Fiio and the SB you bought are only powered through the USB port, which limits the output power. You need an AMP/DAC with a separate power adapter.

You can even just use the motherboard audio and add an amp.

This little guy is great for the price https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N14SY6...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I use a FX Audio DAC 6, also great for the money, used it with quite a few headphones and no issues with quality or reliability. It's been on 24 hrs for quite some time.
https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Dig...=fx+audio&qid=1623790251&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Solution