Which brand of battery backup?

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
I want to get a battery backup for my computer. It must be between 800va and 1500va. Which brand is the best, and at what va do you prefer? How was the performance? Specify both the good and bad experiences, if you have any. Your input may help me in trying to decide which one to get.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I've had very good experiences with APC backup systems. They are reliable, come in different sizes and especially the better ones are very nicely monitoreable and configureable. And the prices are very nice...

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I agree APC are good. Make sure you get AVR (automatic voltage regulation). Some have only under voltage regulation, the better ones have under and over voltage regulation.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'd be remiss not to mention the tripp-lites... I own the APC, but I'm in AUS. The tripp-lites also serve quite well.

I install PBX phone systems for a living. This was several years ago and things might have changed, but I was told by the manufacturer (unofficially) not to use tripp-lite UPSs on their equipment due to the fact that they spiked the equipment. Like I said this was several years ago and could have been due to a bad batch or something like that.

Yournotme

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I use a belkin battery backup 1500va it works great the only problem I have with it is the power button on the units isnt the best. Sometimes if I goto turn it off the button will stick if you push it in to far. Other then that it works great and I dont really have a reason to be turning it off so this isnt really a problem. The on I have it rack mountable so thats a nice feature. Also I only paid $120 for it with shipping from buy.com.

azimuth40

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I have used APC's but I also like Cyberpower for more bang for the buck compared to APC. Cyberpowers Automatic Voltage Regulation units are very good if you live in a flaky power area and have summer brownouts like in southern California. Have a LOOK

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
I just so happen to live here in Southern California, and do have alot of power outages and stuff. I know exactly what your talking about. Also regarding Cyberpower backups, I don't see those in the stores that I go to, but will try to find them and maybe try one out. I don't like to shop online for bigger and heavier items like that. They can be damaged too easily. I will check out Best Buy, Circuit City, and Fry's. Unfortunately I can't go to Compusa anymore since they closed down the 2 stores near me in Burbank and Woodland Hills. Thanks!

Boliver

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Another vote for APC. Socal brown outs and all. They have great customer service when the battery eventually needs replacement. They have battery kits that include return postage for your old battery so they take care of the recycling. My oldest unit (650pnp) is going strong after 12 years with only one battery replacement. You get what you pay for when it comes to battery backup.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've had a couple tripp-lites and a bunch of cyber powers die. Usually from black outs, some from lightning strikes. I've never seen an APC die from either. I've got a 1500 and 4 500's at home, never a problem. At work we use Alpha 1600 and 2000 and APC Symmetra LX and RM.

chogo

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
My experiences have been running at a 50% success rate.

I have 2 APC Back-UPS XS units. One supplies 1000VA (BX1000) and the newer one has 1200VA (BX1200).

The 1000VA unit has been unreliable in that I've had to RMA it twice for failures during the warranty. The RMA process was painless but the shipping (to APC) was somewhat costly and the replacement units are refurbished and not new.

Perhaps the current models are more reliable.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Another vote for APC. Socal brown outs and all. They have great customer service when the battery eventually needs replacement. They have battery kits that include return postage for your old battery so they take care of the recycling. My oldest unit (650pnp) is going strong after 12 years with only one battery replacement. You get what you pay for when it comes to battery backup.

Rather than pay the shipping for heavy batteries you should check for the local battery warehouse or other battery supply house if they are available.