Question Which Component is The Problem? (Distorted colors and other screen problems)

May 23, 2019
I built a pc like 3 months ago, had some problems installing the gpu to case and mobo. after i installed the gpu, screwholes on the back of the gpu didnt match the ones on the pc case so i had to open new holes on the back of the case to install the gpu.

but its been working fine for weeks so i didnt think there was any problem. then i started to see distorted, purplish color on startup which stays there after i login. here is a photo:

https://ibb.co/vd5Gy4R

it doesnt happen all the time, it started to happen after i used the pc for a couple of weeks and when it happens, it goes away on its own or when its restarted. sometimes its not purple, its red, pink etc. and the last time it happened, it happened after a freeze. pc froze for like a minute and i couldnt even move the mouse so i had to restart, on the login screen, i saw the colors again. i thought it was about the gpu driver and i tried to reinstall it and this happened :

https://ibb.co/SVxJfvF
screen turned green this time.

after this happened, i realised there was another problem. when i push the power button on the monitor, i see a flat green screen for a split second right before i see the desktop screen.

after that happened, i took the pc case to a guy i know at the office i work who are responsible of the work laptops and stuff. he said they connected the pc to a monitor and kept it open for hours on idle without any signs of the problem. so i took the pc to my house and connected it to the monitor, the purple screen thing didnt happen but flat green screen problem was still there. i tried changing the hdmi cable but no luck.

i connected the pc to a tv and been using it like that for a while without those problems and i started to think it was about the monitor but i have doubts since i experienced these problems right after a freeze and this color problem isn't visible on bios and windows loading screens.

i want to be sure which part of the pc is the problem so i can replace it but cant be sure since the problem is not constant, it happens sometimes but not always and it never happened on tv screen.

thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 23, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

check gpu temp during the issue?
hey, thanks for the answer and sorry for the late reply.

asrock b450m hdv
ryzen 2600
gigabyte rx460 4gb
2x8 gb 3000mhz patriot viper ram
be quiet system power 9 500w psu
zalman t5 case.
seagate barracuda 1tb hdd

i checked the temps and see no problem. i even stress tested the cpu and gpu for hours and played games without any problem. it happens randomly on startup, usually happens in succession but sometimes when i restart, it doesnt happen for a while.

i want to believe that the problem is the monitor but ive been using it for years and never seen a problem, and see no cause for it to fail just when i bought a new pc.

and as i said, since i connected the pc to my tv in the living room, i didnt experience this but i cant be sure that it was the monitor since the problem doesn't occur all the time.

i also bought a surge protector for the pc since there are power outages in my neighbourhood and this problem started when i was using it.i wonder if its about that. i dont use the surge protector with the tv and pc right now and it works fine. but it looks like a long shot i guess.

im going to buy a new monitor and connect the pc to it and see how it goes, i hope the problem was the monitor