Question Which cooler to get for new Ryzen r5 3600?

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Title says it. Picked up a new ryzen 5 3600 recently and its running a bit warm on the stock cooler/settings. Hit top temperatures in the upper 70s and low 80s Celsius. Not the end of the world but hey I would prefer lower temperatures and I would like to try my hand at overclocking. Anyway, I'm currently considering 3 coolers. If you have better suggestions I'm all ears.

ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO Edition - Quiet and high performance (leaning towards this one)
Mugen 5 Rev. B CPU Cooler - Very quiet, slightly less performance
Corsair Hydro Series H100x Extreme Performance - Best performance, but loudest. Also the most expensive.

I'm looking for performance improvements, but low noise is also a big plus to me. Max budget is ~$100usd but I'd prefer to keep it lower.
I'm interested in the Noctua heatsinks, but my case only allows for heatsinks up to 165mm. So probably can't get one of them.

Lutfij

Titan
If it's choosing between the three you've listed above, here's my suggestion.
Air cooling - Scythe Mugen
AIO watercooling - Corsair

If you were asking the community for cooler suggestions, we're going to need to know the rest of your specs to understand your height clearances and your airflow options. Often times you can simply add case fans and improve your temps provided the ambient air temps are good.

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
If it's choosing between the three you've listed above, here's my suggestion.
Air cooling - Scythe Mugen
AIO watercooling - Corsair

If you were asking the community for cooler suggestions, we're going to need to know the rest of your specs to understand your height clearances and your airflow options. Often times you can simply add case fans and improve your temps provided the ambient air temps are good.

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Appreciate the input.

My full specs are:
CPU: Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz
SSD/HDD: Intel 600p + other drives
GPU: Gtx 1080
PSU: Corsair CX 600m
Chassis: Corsair Carbide 200R

Do you have any case fans installed? You might find that getting one or two not too expensive ones might give you just as low temperatures but for a lesser price.
Personally, I'd say to go for watercooling though, it'll make the future overclocking you do so much better.

Personally, I'd say to go for watercooling though, it'll make the future overclocking you do so much better.
From the reviews I've seen so far, the Ryzen 3600 doesn't seem to offer much room for manual overclocking, so I wouldn't expect much from that. And this is not a particularly power-hungry CPU, so it shouldn't take much to cool it.

As for water cooling in general, it tends to be much less reliable than a tower cooler, and the pumps in these all-in-ones are prone to going out after a few years or so. A tower cooler on the other hand has no moving parts aside from the fan, and those should be easily replaceable should they go out after a number of years. Personally, I would much rather go for a tower cooler, especially for a processor with relatively low power demands.

Either the Freezer 34 or Mugen would probably be fine. Or maybe something like a Hyper 212 Black, which comes in either an RGB or lower-priced non-RGB variant. Also note that the Freezer 34 also comes in a single fan version for around $5 less, and the second fan tends to only have a small effect on performance for this cooler.

Reactions: NewbieGeek