[SOLVED] Which CPU is better the i5-760 or Xeon x3450

Hello Guys

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
Since I have been thinking of upgrade my CPU i search the internet for cheap i found 2 CPU that compatible with my motherboard and under $20 and 4 core which is the i5-760 and xeon x3450 but the difference is in the thread and base frequency GHz.

purpose: gaming, editing, so it's not going to bottleneck when I have a better gpu.

PC specs:
Intel core I3-550
Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L
6gb 😁 DDR3 ram
120gb Seagate system HDD
500gb storage HDD
Nvidia GeForce 8800gt
750watt enermax naxn
Intel stock LGA 775 copper cooler

Solution
the xeon x3450 will be the best of those two for better all thread performance (practically 30% higher) and that will be nice for when you upgrade your gpu (not to mention being able to run more cpu intensive games and applications etc, and much better multitasking capability). something like a 1050 (or 1050 ti) would compliment it well. most games and edting software etc will most definitely be able to utilize the extra threads... 4 vs 8 threads does help :) I'd recommend looking into buying an ssd. (it doesn't need to be any faster than 300mb/s due to sata II's limitations)
the xeon x3450 will be the best of those two for better all thread performance (practically 30% higher) and that will be nice for when you upgrade your gpu (not to mention being able to run more cpu intensive games and applications etc, and much better multitasking capability). something like a 1050 (or 1050 ti) would compliment it well. most games and edting software etc will most definitely be able to utilize the extra threads... 4 vs 8 threads does help :) I'd recommend looking into buying an ssd. (it doesn't need to be any faster than 300mb/s due to sata II's limitations)

Last edited:
Reactions: lga1156_ftw
Solution

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
If you are going to do it on the cheap - Why not go all the way to the top and get some 16G of DDR3 RAM as well? Those are pretty cheap these days used, and does help a bit.

Throw in a 120GB SATA SSD, and clone your system drive over to it as well. Those tended to help more than any other single component upgrade, over the typical HDD.

Those two processors are not much different. But still, get the better one if the prices are not much different, too.

Look out for motherboard UEFI support if you are going to upgrade your graphic card, though.

Reactions: Hello Guys

Hello Guys

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
If you are going to do it on the cheap - Why not go all the way to the top and get some 16G of DDR3 RAM as well? Those are pretty cheap these days used, and does help a bit.

Throw in a 120GB SATA SSD, and clone your system drive over to it as well. Those tended to help more than any other single component upgrade, over the typical HDD.

Those two processors are not much different. But still, get the better one if the prices are not much different, too.

Look out for motherboard UEFI support if you are going to upgrade your graphic card, though.
Well Is 32gb or 64g ssd is good also

It really depends on whether what you are doing most of the time will utilize more cores or single thread performance. I actually have several systems of this socket still running and found the i5-680 is definitely the one that feels the fastest by far, closing in on the feel of my i5-2500 until there's too many threads for the 680. Everything else in that socket can't compare to the single thread performance of the i5-680 by a longshot:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...vs-Intel-Xeon-X3480/773vs771vs1289vs832vs1708

And another plus is that it's cheap--I think I got my i5-680 chips for like $15/ea a few years back. And these were genuine used, not some ripoff 'new' fakes too.

I suggest going for x3440, its the cheapest 4 core 8 thread from the bunch. Should be around 10-20$ used? Also lynnfield Xeons have better memory controller than i7 series, so if you want to add more ram or go for higher speeds later on it will be way easier.
Even when the 2.5ghz is stock speed your motherboard supports overclocking and its pretty easy to get that cpu running at 3.8ghz all cores. P55 chipset is better than H55 for oc, but 3.6-3.8ghz is surely possible.

This is what you can get with x3470 overclocked to 4.3ghz on all cores with HT on : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38823175

Also +1 for PrinceTexasLoaf advice about SSD, sata2 speeds are not bad at all

Reactions: SamirD

Hello Guys

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
I suggest going for x3440, its the cheapest 4 core 8 thread from the bunch. Should be around 10-20$ used? Also lynnfield Xeons have better memory controller than i7 series, so if you want to add more ram or go for higher speeds later on it will be way easier.
Even when the 2.5ghz is stock speed your motherboard supports overclocking and its pretty easy to get that cpu running at 3.8ghz all cores. P55 chipset is better than H55 for oc, but 3.6-3.8ghz is surely possible.

This is what you can get with x3470 overclocked to 4.3ghz on all cores with HT on : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38823175

Also +1 for PrinceTexasLoaf advice about SSD, sata2 speeds are not bad at all
well the thing is i dont think it support my motherboard

There should not be any issue using x3440 even when manufactor cpu support list tells otherwise (in this occasion). x3450 has 4 core 8 thread like x3440 which slightly higher base/boost clock, also you will be able to overclock slightly higher with x3450.

Doesnt really matter, x3450 seems to be around 13.50$ shipped worldwide, x3440 slightly less, we talking about pennies here.

Yeah processors from aliexpress are most likely used, but still fully functional. I never had a bad experience but your right that some people probably have since return policies are non existent. EBAY Is safer for example.
They can be used, but they could also be used fakes--almost anything coming direct from that part of the world is a fake--and who knows what type of 'free' backdoor or malware is in it...no thanks. I'll take a genuine used one off ebay from a reputable recycler. But even they end up with fakes like my dual x5470--found out years later when testing and older intel cpu tool that they're fakes! :mad:

SSri

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I am probably a little late to the party. I have a HP workstation sporting X5450. It's rock solid since 2008. It has 20GB Ram and we replaced the NVS 440 by FX1700 to run windows 10 Pro.

My machine requires DDR2 ECC RAM, which is pretty expensive. If you are in the UK, please check bargainhardware

Last edited:
I am probably a little late to the party. I have a HP workstation sporting X5450. It's rock solid since 2008. It has 20GB Ram and we replaced the NVS 440 by FX1700 to run windows 10 Pro.

My machine requires DDR2 ECC RAM, which is pretty expensive. If you are in the UK, please check bargainhardware
You can get FBDIMMs like this system uses for free if you look in the right places as people are throwing it away. You can probably upgrade to 32GB using 4GB modules if you've got 8 memory slots. Some systems even supported the 8GB modules so that would be 64GB.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
120GB is practically the minimum size for new SSD these days. I wouldn't recommend 2nd-hand SSDs given their limited write-life, but you do you.
That would also depend on the OS I used a 64GB SSD for about 3 years with W7 on it. You also need to know how to redirect everything you can to another drive.

EDIT Samsung 840 very expensive back then, after you could get more for less I erased it and used it for a scratch drive for a few years.

TRENDING THREADS