Question Which CPU was your very first one?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Going back to topic: the 1st PC that I really extensively played on 18hours a day, was an Intel i5 2500K Quad Core @ 3.7Ghz & GTX 550 Ti Gpu... that pc I got my hands onto by faking a lightning strike on my previous build witch was an Intel Dual Core @ 3.33Ghz & 9500 Gt Gpu.

Oh the things we do to get back into the game @ max fps...

Last edited:
Reactions: ramaswilson8
Were the CPU's evolving as much as they are now,lets say 10 years from example.
From 2011 to 2021,i7's.
So from a top notch cpu like i7 2700K back then,to a i7 11700K now,is the difference that big in comparison to lets say a Pentium MMX 200 (1997) and a Pentium Dual core E2140 (2007)?
Im just asking if they evolved fast as the i7's i mentioned and was the performance difference as big as the i7's on the Pentium side.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First computer I "touched" was a mainframe during my 3rd grade year of school ('71-'72) when I was one of 3 students selected for an advanced curriculum.

As a senior in high school ('80-'81), I taught a period of computer science using Apple II and TRS-80 computers (I was also a student in a different class period for a more advanced class).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_II

First computer I personally owned was a Tandy 1000 TL with a 8 MHz Intel 80286.

By the age of their first builds, I realize that most of the people from this forum are over 30 😄

Correct observation. Folks under 30 are not usual forum clientele anymore. Nowadays they are partying in Instagram and TikTok where most stupidest thing one can do is presented as coolest invention of civilization.

By age split there are 3 big categories of people. Folks above 40 who beside unified PC and Mac personal computer architectures seen and even worked with mainframes, and a bunch of custom minicomputers and keyboard size personal computers (including DIY ones). Then folks between 25-35 who lived through quirky transformation into digital era and young ones who already lived in digital era only with smart devices and personal computers used only for job and hardcore gaming. Very different experience :)

Correct observation. Folks under 30 are not usual forum clientele anymore. Nowadays they are partying in Instagram and TikTok where most stupidest thing one can do is presented as coolest invention of civilization.

By age split there are 3 big categories of people. Folks above 40 who beside unified PC and Mac personal computer architectures seen and even worked with mainframes, and a bunch of custom minicomputers and keyboard size personal computers (including DIY ones). Then folks between 25-35 who lived through quirky transformation into digital era and young ones who already lived in digital era only with smart devices and personal computers used only for job and hardcore gaming. Very different experience :)
You do not know how much cringe you can find on tiktok (or techtok as they want to say).
There are little kids who probably watched 1 Linus's video and thought about telling people what to build.
Im talking about pairing a 5600X with H110M chipset..Buying cpu's with integrated graphics for a budget of 2000$,and then buying a 1650 super,and oh lord the raidmax psu's,especially the Raidmax Cobra 800W.
It really makes you cringe,a lot.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
From 2011 to 2021,i7's.
So from a top notch cpu like i7 2700K back then,to a i7 11700K now,is the difference that big in comparison to lets say a Pentium MMX 200 (1997) and a Pentium Dual core E2140 (2007)?
Im just asking if they evolved fast as the i7's i mentioned and was the performance difference as big as the i7's on the Pentium side.

In my opinion the Pc market as always found a way to get people to get newer and better hardware and software and that it always seemed like you cant keep up with what is new.

The differences that I experienced when (every time I upgraded) was quite notable...[if done @ the correct point in time]

Evolution wise its been great and I'm very thankful that it is still going into some direction.

Reactions: Krotow and Dj0gany
In my opinion the Pc market as always found a way to get people to get newer and better hardware and software and that it always seemed like you cant keep up with what is new.

The differences that I experienced when (every time I upgraded) was quite notable...[if done @ the correct point in time]

Evolution wise its been great and I'm very thankful that it is still going into some direction.
Cool,thanks.

Reactions: iTRiP

Guestify

Prominent
Apr 28, 2019
Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable
core 2 duo
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...sor-e6320-4m-cache-1-86-ghz-1066-mhz-fsb.html
always overheated and throttled and used to play with 11fps until i got a big fan and put it onto the laptop and it started giving me much smoother experience i was so happy

Yeah!
The Core 2 Duo era... (that was the “next big thing” in those years).

I bought to myself a Core 2 Duo E7300 in 2005. That was my 2nd CPU:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...sor-e7300-3m-cache-2-66-ghz-1066-mhz-fsb.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
First CPU - Motorola 6809 (Radio Shack Colour computer)

oldest piece of computer hardware - November 1965
t1qDa4X.jpg

it doesn't work without the rest of the computer... and that was missing before I found this part. Part of a tracking station used to track Apollo

From 2011 to 2021,i7's.
My opinion is no. Much of it is due the combination of we've basically optimized the hell out of everything (that or it's too much effort to squeeze out another 5%) and simply relying on clock speed improvements. Though I strongly attribute the performance bump of CPUs over the years to clock speed improvements as significant microarchitecture changes tended to only account for <15% IPC bumps. Anything higher is the exception.

To put it in another way, the Pentium III had a 500 MHz model. In one year, it had a 1GHz model using the same microarchitecture. That's already a 2x performance bump.

While it was silly for Intel to market clock speed as a sole indicator of performance, there was a kernel of truth to it.