[SOLVED] Which CPU won't bottleneck GTX 1070?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello! I am on a very strict budget. Heading explains all..... Which cheapest CPU should i buy that won't bottleneck my GTX 1070? Ask anything if needed :)

Currently running:
Xeon e3 1245 v3
Rx 580 8gb
16gb
500gb
550w

Solution
I did a quick lookup on the Xeon e3 1245 v3 you currently have? It’s basically an i7 4770, which is a perfect march for gtx 1070.
I used my i7 4790 and gtx 1070 And they were perfect af 1080p. So dont change the cpu. its not worth it yet for gaming. Just plug in the gtx 1070.

Your xeon will perform as a ryzen 1600/2600 in games.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The challenge here is that the information from you is very unclear. You simultaneously tell us that you're on a very strict budget but that we shouldn't worry about a number.

You tell us stuff like "the PSU doesn't matter" when in fact this is a crucial part of answering this build question in an ethical manner. It's a bit like going to the ER with chest pain and refusing to let the hospital take your blood pressure or listen to your heart.

There's also some fundamental misunderstanding here of what bottlenecking is. It's not some binary yes/no issue in which there's a magic line in which CPUs are all on one side of the other. Add in the fact that we're missing crucial information such as budget, people are having to recommend CPUs that are quite high-end.

You appear to be very unhappy with the answers you're getting, but your lack of candor is a key reason you're getting answers you don't like.

Reactions: taimoorbaig382

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
The challenge here is that the information from you is very unclear. You simultaneously tell us that you're on a very strict budget but that we shouldn't worry about a number.

You tell us stuff like "the PSU doesn't matter" when in fact this is a crucial part of answering this build question in an ethical manner. It's a bit like going to the ER with chest pain and refusing to let the hospital take your blood pressure or listen to your heart.

There's also some fundamental misunderstanding here of what bottlenecking is. It's not some binary yes/no issue in which there's a magic line in which CPUs are all on one side of the other. Add in the fact that we're missing crucial information such as budget, people are having to recommend CPUs that are quite high-end.

You appear to be very unhappy with the answers you're getting, but your lack of candor is a key reason you're getting answers you don't like.
Firstly i want to say that i am very happy and satisfied from the answers you guys are giving me! I have always loved tom'shardware response that's why i am still here creating threads about my PC issues! :)

Now it comes for budget.. So i think i have made it very clear that I AM LOOKING FOR CHEAPEST POSSIBLE CPU WHICH PAIRED WITH 16GB RAM WONT BOTTLENECK A GTX 1070 ON 1080p @ 60HZ.

Still if anything is unclear please please ask freely you all guys are brothers to me :)

EDIT: I will be very careful when buying PSU, so don't worry about it NOW. :)

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Not by a long shot. Just trying to give options. From what one of the above posters said, the Xeon you already have should work decently. Any system can bottleneck. Do this. Go ahead and get the gtx 1070 and see how it performs. If you aren't satisfied, then you can always look further at upgrades.
I Just want a CPU that will allow my GTX 1070 to perform at it's full potential

According to this older post and a poster above, the Xeon you have and an i7 4770 are basically the same performance.

Looking at a thread from a couple of years back on Reddit

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/6awhju/i7_4770_gtx_1070/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

The opinion seemed to mostly be that the i7 wouldn't bottleneck the 1070. Since your Xeon is comparable to the i7, I say get the gtx 1070, and try it out. But you can't say yes or no that a cpu or gpu won't bottleneck 100% of the time. It can come down to even things like screen resolution, refresh rate, etc. Try it as is with the new card and see if you're happy with it's performance. If so, great. Then start saving money for a larger upgrade down the road.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
I am playing on 1080p @ 60Hz, Highest visual settings possible alongside some graphics/texture mods. So in this case, you mean an i5 2500k is enough!?!? I just googled and an i5 2500k will bottleneck a GTX 1070 at a rate of 49% :(

Couple things to consider ... I didn't see the source of the info you provide, but I would be 99% sure that in what you are referencing would fall into category 1 of my two gaming styles ... which would bottleneck that CPU, hence my recommendation for other CPUs for that game style. If you link the source, maybe we can see what other data was provided.

But if you never will need to display more than 60hz (60fps), and you like the GPU to do all the work limiting max framerate anyway, then chances are the CPU can put out 60 FPS worth of data - it wouldn't take a strong CPU to do that.

If you had a 144hz monitor and needed 144 FPS+ for some specific playing style, then the 2500k would surely struggle to output 144 frames worth of data, and become a bottleneck. But at 60? I don't think so.

I would just try with your old Xeon first and see if you can maintain 60 FPS ... without a faster refresh monitor there's no point in needing it any higher.

Guys this is getting very very expensive for me :( ........ Prices are very different in my country :( Neither amazon.com nor newegg.com operates here :( sadly there is literally very very little support for gamers... And i will be buying using components, not new.. Is Ryzen 5 3600x cheapest CPU that won't bottleneck GTX 1070 on 1080p @ 60Hz ??? :(:(:(
As I said, your Xeon is not that bad. You would most likely be happy with it running a 1070. The 3600 is the lowest cpu I would go for to get a decent upgrade over your Xeon. There are cheaper options but the gain will not be that big and they will only be a little cheaper.

A bottleneck is nothing to worry about if it is not significant or you are getting the FPS you want and with a 60Hz monitor you only need 60fps.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

According to this older post and a poster above, the Xeon you have and an i7 4770 are basically the same performance.

Looking at a thread from a couple of years back on Reddit

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/6awhju/i7_4770_gtx_1070/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

The opinion seemed to mostly be that the i7 wouldn't bottleneck the 1070. Since your Xeon is comparable to the i7, I say get the gtx 1070, and try it out. But you can't say yes or no that a cpu or gpu won't bottleneck 100% of the time. It can come down to even things like screen resolution, refresh rate, etc. Try it as is with the new card and see if you're happy with it's performance. If so, great. Then start saving money for a larger upgrade down the road.
Couple things to consider ... I didn't see the source of the info you provide, but I would be 99% sure that in what you are referencing would fall into category 1 of my two gaming styles ... which would bottleneck that CPU, hence my recommendation for other CPUs for that game style. If you link the source, maybe we can see what other data was provided.

But if you never will need to display more than 60hz (60fps), and you like the GPU to do all the work limiting max framerate anyway, then chances are the CPU can put out 60 FPS worth of data - it wouldn't take a strong CPU to do that.

If you had a 144hz monitor and needed 144 FPS+ for some specific playing style, then the 2500k would surely struggle to output 144 frames worth of data, and become a bottleneck. But at 60? I don't think so.

I would just try with your old Xeon first and see if you can maintain 60 FPS ... without a faster refresh monitor there's no point in needing it any higher.
As I said, your Xeon is not that bad. You would most likely be happy with it running a 1070. The 3600 is the lowest cpu I would go for to get a decent upgrade over your Xeon. There are cheaper options but the gain will not be that big and they will only be a little cheaper.

A bottleneck is nothing to worry about if it is not significant or you are getting the FPS you want and with a 60Hz monitor you only need 60fps.

I mentioned that i want to crank up the visual settings to as high as possible and i will also add some graphics and texture mods so only 60FPS at max settings wont be enough for me.... there can be a 30 FPS hit when using mods so 90 FPS at MAX settings is what i am thinking of..... This is why i am upgrading to GTX 1070 from RX 580... So i want my GPU to give it's best

I mentioned that i want to crank up the visual settings to as high as possible and i will also add some graphics and texture mods so only 60FPS at max settings wont be enough for me.... there can be a 30 FPS hit when using mods so 90 FPS at MAX settings is what i am thinking of..... This is why i am upgrading to GTX 1070 from RX 580... So i want my GPU to give it's best
Most game settings have little impact on cpu usage. For example 60fp at 1080p will take about the same cpu work as 60fps at 4K. The extra work is on the gpu. As I said earlier, the cpu determines the best FPS, the gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that FPS at. You can still achieve the FPS you get today with a 580, just you will be able to turn up game settings while getting that FPS.

My budget is limited so i think this processor is fine:)
Can you list some CHEAP motherboards that are compatible with i7-4930k?
I don’t know, it’s not a range I really looked at. A quick look at UK prices on eBay and LGA2011 boards are about £60+ which is close to a cheap motherboard that supports modern Ryzen CPU’s which will also have a warranty.

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
I don’t know, it’s not a range I really looked at. A quick look at UK prices on eBay and LGA2011 boards are about £60+ which is close to a cheap motherboard that supports modern Ryzen CPU’s which will also have a warranty.
Can mention some Core i3, i5, Xeon and AMD CPUs that are EQUAL in gaming performance when compared with an i7-4930k

Can mention some Core i3, i5, Xeon and AMD CPUs that are EQUAL in gaming performance when compared with an i7-4930k
It’s difficult to compare, the i7-4930k was an enthusiast cpu and often not included in benchmarks from its time and not included in any I have seen for modern CPU’s. It also uses much slower DDR3.

If I had to guess maybe a Ryzen 1600 or 2600 would be close but these use faster DDR4. On the Intel side maybe an older i7 6700k or 7700k but I am really guessing with no facts.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Most game settings have little impact on cpu usage. For example 60fp at 1080p will take about the same cpu work as 60fps at 4K. The extra work is on the gpu. As I said earlier, the cpu determines the best FPS, the gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that FPS at. You can still achieve the FPS you get today with a 580, just you will be able to turn up game settings while getting that FPS.

This is fully true and why we keep noting that you may be overly concerned about the required strength of the CPU -- the more in game and gpu driver details you add (with maybe a couple exceptions), the lower the demand is on the CPU because your framerate drops ... at a 60 FPS cap, the load on the CPU will be roughly the same regardless of GPU/game settings - those don't really factor into CPU usage except that as you crankl the visual quality, the FPS drops, and the load on the CPU is generally reduced.

A r5 2600x will never ever bottleneck in your stated gaming scenarios, but if you can snag a 1600x for cheap and a cheap b450 mobo, that will also work just fine. On the Intel side a 9400F would be roughly same price and net you decent performance as well.

But I really think you are making grander assumptions about the potential of CPU bottlneck with FPS at 60 being the max you can display anyway - even if you did hit some CPU bottleneck (say if you kept the Xeon), there probably would be very little impact to your experience.

I know everyone is always going on about how easy you hit CPU bottlenecks and that you need the "best" gaming processor to avoid them or you'll die, but in reality this is really only ever a concern with a 2080ti and high refresh gaming. Neither of which applies to you.

Intel has a very powerful marketing capability and most of this that you hear around the web is all just parroting their marketing, without any real understanding of when a CPU is bottlnecking your game, when it even matters, and the final impact on your experience.

To throw some more Intel options out there, I agree with Sizzling that a 6700k or 7700k will be perfectly good as well if you can find them, maybe used?

I am also of the opinion that that bottlneck calculator is a bit like a fortune teller. There isn't nearly enough inputs for it to be able to do any accurate calculation - I assume it would represent the absolute worst case scenario - which would be high refresh gaming (144hz+) on medium or low game settings, but again, that doesn't apply to you.

Last edited:
Finding a 6700k or a 7700k is easy. Finding a good deal on one, significantly harder. For the cost of the cpu alone, most of the time you can get 90% of a ryzen setup.

I'd do as several have suggested, keep the xeon, and see if you're actually held back.

Also like several have stated online bottleneck calculators are absolute junk. Do not go exclusively by those results. Find real world results. There's plenty of people on here who probably have experience with the combo you have. Let alone the results you could find on google. Type in cpu/gpu combo and look for videos. There's probably even vids of the games you want as well.

Use your current cpu with the 1070, and start saving some cash for a worthwhile upgrade. Dont waste money on something you may not be happy with or that gains you 5 fps.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Where do you buy parts from? Do they have a website?

Is 1660Ti available, is it cheaper? Performs same, if not better in some games vs the regular 1070 while using less power. Wouldn't worry about less vram, you'll never use the full 6GB let alone 8GB (1070) amount anyway before performance tanks from all that increased visual quality to saturate.

As said already, cpu is fine.