taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello! I am on a very strict budget. Heading explains all..... Which cheapest CPU should i buy that won't bottleneck my GTX 1070? Ask anything if needed :)

Currently running:
Xeon e3 1245 v3
Rx 580 8gb
16gb
500gb
550w

Solution
I did a quick lookup on the Xeon e3 1245 v3 you currently have? It’s basically an i7 4770, which is a perfect march for gtx 1070.
I used my i7 4790 and gtx 1070 And they were perfect af 1080p. So dont change the cpu. its not worth it yet for gaming. Just plug in the gtx 1070.

Your xeon will perform as a ryzen 1600/2600 in games.
If you are running 60Hz you only need a constant 60fps. Your Xeon should be able to do that in most games. Think of it like this, the cpu determines the best FPS you can achieve, the gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that FPS at.

You are concerned about budget but any meaningful cpu upgrade would need a new cpu, motherboard and DDR4 RAM. So you could look at a 3600 to 3700X point paired with a good B450 board and 2x8gb RAM. If you are not going to the step to such a new platform then stick with what you have.

Even the best systems can bottleneck in certain circumstances.

Reactions: taimoorbaig382
oh really? WTH :/
Bottlenecks are based on many factors those sites do not take into account, for example resolution, the game, game settings used, RAM configuration and speed, even the driver you are using. Also a bottleneck cannot have a % assigned to it and is only an issue if there is a significant imbalance between cpu and gpu. Small bottlenecks are nothing to worry about if achieving the FPS you want.

My budget is limited so i think this processor is fine:)
Can you list some CHEAP motherboards that are compatible with i7-4930k?
I don’t know, it’s not a range I really looked at. A quick look at UK prices on eBay and LGA2011 boards are about £60+ which is close to a cheap motherboard that supports modern Ryzen CPU’s which will also have a warranty.

Hello! I am on a very strict budget. Heading explains all..... Which cheapest CPU should i buy that won't bottleneck my GTX 1070? Ask anything if needed :)

Currently running:
Xeon e3 1245 v3
Rx 580 8gb
16gb
500gb
550w

Why would you upgrade an RX580 to a GTX1070? At 1080p they are not much apart. The RX580 should be enough for 1080P 60Hz. I would wait and save money for a new build next year with Ryzen 4000.

Edit: You can start by upgrading to an SSD if you currently have an HDD.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished

Currently running:
Xeon e3 1245 v3
Rx 580 8gb
16gb
500gb
550w

Whether or not the CPU will be a bottlneck greatly depends on a few other factors.

What's the refresh of your monitor, and what quality of in game and driver settings do you like to play with? For example, if you have 244hz monitor, "need" 244 FPS and just play esports games with all the game and driver settings on low, then you'll need a fairly fast CPU.

In this case Ryzen 2600x / 3600 or a 9600k is probably what you want.

If you have a 60hz monitor, and generally push the in game quality settings as high as you can get away with, maybe apply a little AA, etc, and don't play much for esports games then you don't need a very fast CPU at all.

In this case, a first gen Ryzen quad core (r3 1200), or say an old 2500k will be enough.

As you are on the RX580, I'd not even bother with the 1070....; you might just still be satisfied with the 580 once not capped on min/average FPS by older Xeons.

The 'must have' value/performance CPU/mainboard combo these days is the R5-3600 and B450 ... about equaling the 8700K, which is not a bad place to be for any $190 CPU...

I did a quick lookup on the Xeon e3 1245 v3 you currently have? It’s basically an i7 4770, which is a perfect march for gtx 1070.
I used my i7 4790 and gtx 1070 And they were perfect af 1080p. So dont change the cpu. its not worth it yet for gaming. Just plug in the gtx 1070.

Your xeon will perform as a ryzen 1600/2600 in games.

Solution
Brother,
I am thinking about a build which will consist of:

16GB RAM DDR3/DDR4

128GB SSD

1TB HDD

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming / Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti G1 Gaming

550W/600W 80 Plus Bronze Certified PSU

A Suitable CHEAPEST CPU that won't bottleneck my GPU on gaming on 1080p @ 60Hz (I will use Nivida DSR on low end games)

A Full ATX Motherboard with 4 RAM Slots
Then I'd go Ryzen 3600 with a motherboard like the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, the Max means it definitely comes with a BIOS that supports 3000 series cpu's. Add 2x8GB RAM of speed 3200 to 3600 and you are good to go. You could go with the Ryzen 2600 which has great offers on it but I do think the 3600 will last longer.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The challenge here is that the information from you is very unclear. You simultaneously tell us that you're on a very strict budget but that we shouldn't worry about a number.

You tell us stuff like "the PSU doesn't matter" when in fact this is a crucial part of answering this build question in an ethical manner. It's a bit like going to the ER with chest pain and refusing to let the hospital take your blood pressure or listen to your heart.

There's also some fundamental misunderstanding here of what bottlenecking is. It's not some binary yes/no issue in which there's a magic line in which CPUs are all on one side of the other. Add in the fact that we're missing crucial information such as budget, people are having to recommend CPUs that are quite high-end.

You appear to be very unhappy with the answers you're getting, but your lack of candor is a key reason you're getting answers you don't like.

According to this older post and a poster above, the Xeon you have and an i7 4770 are basically the same performance.

Looking at a thread from a couple of years back on Reddit

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/6awhju/i7_4770_gtx_1070/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=comments_view_all

The opinion seemed to mostly be that the i7 wouldn't bottleneck the 1070. Since your Xeon is comparable to the i7, I say get the gtx 1070, and try it out. But you can't say yes or no that a cpu or gpu won't bottleneck 100% of the time. It can come down to even things like screen resolution, refresh rate, etc. Try it as is with the new card and see if you're happy with it's performance. If so, great. Then start saving money for a larger upgrade down the road.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
I am playing on 1080p @ 60Hz, Highest visual settings possible alongside some graphics/texture mods. So in this case, you mean an i5 2500k is enough!?!? I just googled and an i5 2500k will bottleneck a GTX 1070 at a rate of 49% :(

Couple things to consider ... I didn't see the source of the info you provide, but I would be 99% sure that in what you are referencing would fall into category 1 of my two gaming styles ... which would bottleneck that CPU, hence my recommendation for other CPUs for that game style. If you link the source, maybe we can see what other data was provided.

But if you never will need to display more than 60hz (60fps), and you like the GPU to do all the work limiting max framerate anyway, then chances are the CPU can put out 60 FPS worth of data - it wouldn't take a strong CPU to do that.

If you had a 144hz monitor and needed 144 FPS+ for some specific playing style, then the 2500k would surely struggle to output 144 frames worth of data, and become a bottleneck. But at 60? I don't think so.

I would just try with your old Xeon first and see if you can maintain 60 FPS ... without a faster refresh monitor there's no point in needing it any higher.

Guys this is getting very very expensive for me :( ........ Prices are very different in my country :( Neither amazon.com nor newegg.com operates here :( sadly there is literally very very little support for gamers... And i will be buying using components, not new.. Is Ryzen 5 3600x cheapest CPU that won't bottleneck GTX 1070 on 1080p @ 60Hz ??? :(:(:(
As I said, your Xeon is not that bad. You would most likely be happy with it running a 1070. The 3600 is the lowest cpu I would go for to get a decent upgrade over your Xeon. There are cheaper options but the gain will not be that big and they will only be a little cheaper.

A bottleneck is nothing to worry about if it is not significant or you are getting the FPS you want and with a 60Hz monitor you only need 60fps.

I mentioned that i want to crank up the visual settings to as high as possible and i will also add some graphics and texture mods so only 60FPS at max settings wont be enough for me.... there can be a 30 FPS hit when using mods so 90 FPS at MAX settings is what i am thinking of..... This is why i am upgrading to GTX 1070 from RX 580... So i want my GPU to give it's best
Most game settings have little impact on cpu usage. For example 60fp at 1080p will take about the same cpu work as 60fps at 4K. The extra work is on the gpu. As I said earlier, the cpu determines the best FPS, the gpu determines at what resolution and game settings you can achieve that FPS at. You can still achieve the FPS you get today with a 580, just you will be able to turn up game settings while getting that FPS.

Can mention some Core i3, i5, Xeon and AMD CPUs that are EQUAL in gaming performance when compared with an i7-4930k
It’s difficult to compare, the i7-4930k was an enthusiast cpu and often not included in benchmarks from its time and not included in any I have seen for modern CPU’s. It also uses much slower DDR3.

If I had to guess maybe a Ryzen 1600 or 2600 would be close but these use faster DDR4. On the Intel side maybe an older i7 6700k or 7700k but I am really guessing with no facts.