Question Which DDR5 RAM modules are the fastest by default (no XMP)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endre

Reputable
Hello!

I am looking for parts that I'll eventually buy & use for my next build, next year.

I am looking for DDR5 RAM modules that run at the fastest possible speed by default @1.1V, no XMP.

This is the fastest DDR5 kit I came across:
Corsair SKU CMK32GX5M2A4800C34 (2x16GB DDR5-4800 CL34 @1.1V)

Question 1:
Is there a faster kit out there that I don't know about?

Question 2:
Is there a faster kit, or an equally fast kit out there, to the one that I've mentioned which is of 64GB (2x 32GB)?

Last edited:
Reactions: jnjnilson6

Endre

Reputable
Why do you not want an XMP kit? DDR5 4800 is the base speed for DDR5, anything else is going to be an XMP profile.

Hello!

Yes. I know that.
But for me, stability is more important than speed.
XMP can lead to errors & instabilities since it uses voltages above 1.1V, which was approved by JEDEC for DDR5.

Intel advices users to use XMP profiles during heavy workloads, then XMP should be disabled during daily tasks.
(Most people turn it on and leave it that way permanently).

Officially: XMP is an overclock of the memory controller, and I don't wanna deal with it.

logainofhades

Titan
I have never heard of any such thing, from Intel. Happen to have a link to that, regarding the when to turn off XMP? I leave XMP on. As long as you don't go crazy, on the speeds, and the ram is on the QVL list, for the motherboard, it isn't something to worry about.

Endre

Reputable
I've also never heard/read that.

Link, please?

Unfortunately, I can no longer find that, but I did find this on Intel's forum:

Question:
"Does Use of Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) Void the CPU Warranty?"

Answer:
"Altering the frequency and/or voltage outside of Intel specifications may void the processor warranty. Examples: Overclocking and enabling Intel® XMP, which is a type of memory overclocking, and using it beyond the given specifications may void the processor warranty."

Here's the link:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html

USAFRet

Titan
Unfortunately, I can no longer find that, but I did find this on Intel's forum:

Question:
"Does Use of Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) Void the CPU Warranty?"

Answer:
"Altering the frequency and/or voltage outside of Intel specifications may void the processor warranty. Examples: Overclocking and enabling Intel® XMP, which is a type of memory overclocking, and using it beyond the given specifications may void the processor warranty."

Here's the link:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html
"using it beyond the given specifications" does not indicate avoiding XMP.

For instance...RAM specced at 3200, trying to push it to 3600. That, would be 'beyond'.

Endre

Reputable
I have never heard of any such thing, from Intel. Happen to have a link to that, regarding the when to turn off XMP? I leave XMP on. As long as you don't go crazy, on the speeds, and the ram is on the QVL list, for the motherboard, it isn't something to worry about.

Even if the modules are on the QVL of the motherboard, it can happen, after some time, that they can no longer run at those advertised speeds, and they start running at JEDEC default speed.
(There are many of such posts on this forum).

Intel advices users to use XMP profiles during heavy workloads, then XMP should be disabled during daily tasks.
(Most people turn it on and leave it that way permanently).

it coulld be this?
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/dynamic-memory-boost.html

xmp under load, jedec under idle

i wouldnt worry about XMP under DDR5, voltage regulators moved to ram module, so raising voltage from 1.1 higher shouldnt affect memory controller as it was with ddr4

Endre

Reputable
There is no answer appropriate to your question because your question is not appropriate to modern hardware. The ONLY time you could EVER encounter memory problems with XMP enabled is if the memory is not compatible (According to the memory manufacturer (Which is why I recommend always sticking with G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial if possible, since they have publicly available information on which of their memory kits are compatible with exact board models, while almost all others do not) or the motherboard's QVL list), OR there is a physical problem with the memory or motherboard or CPU, OR you are putting multiple memory kits together that did not come together tested from the factory for compatibility with each other (Known as "mixed memory configuration" even when both kits are same model), OR the memory kit is not yet well supported due to early version motherboard BIOS releases, OR you are trying to run FOUR very high speed modules on a platform that doesn't do well with high speed kits when all four DIMM slots are populated as with some of the consumer chipsets.

In pretty much ANY other case that doesn't involve one of those scenarios, there will NEVER be a problem running the memory at the XMP profile. Problems not related to one of those above are then basically reserved for when people try to MANUALLY overclock beyond the XMP profile, which itself is HIGHLY TESTED by the memory manufacturer.

If you don't want to run the XMP profile on any current DDR5 platform then the highest speed you are going to be able to run for ANY consumer chipset, regardless of platform, will be 5600mhz for Intel's Z790 platform or 5200mhz for Ryzen 7000 series parts. And if we're being honest, the idea of XMP not being "stable" is ludicrous and complete BS. Sure, there CAN be problems related with it, but they are always one of those I've outlined above, most of which can cause problems whether you've enabled XMP or not, although enabling XMP will generally enhance any of those existing memory related problems. So if there is a problem with your memory configuration at the XMP profile configuration then there was most likely a problem ANYHOW.

If you are THAT seriously worried about stability, just be sure to get a platform that supports ECC memory and GET ECC memory. Period.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Endre

Reputable
There is no answer appropriate to your question because your question is not appropriate to modern hardware. The ONLY time you could EVER encounter memory problems with XMP enabled is if the memory is not compatible (According to the memory manufacturer (Which is why I recommend always sticking with G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial if possible, since they have publicly available information on which of their memory kits are compatible with exact board models, while almost all others do not) or the motherboard's QVL list), OR there is a physical problem with the memory or motherboard or CPU, OR you are putting multiple memory kits together that did not come together tested from the factory for compatibility with each other (Known as "mixed memory configuration" even when both kits are same model), OR the memory kit is not yet well supported due to early version motherboard BIOS releases, OR you are trying to run FOUR very high speed modules on a platform that doesn't do well with high speed kits when all four DIMM slots are populated as with some of the consumer chipsets.

In pretty much ANY other case that doesn't involve one of those scenarios, there will NEVER be a problem running the memory at the XMP profile. Problems not related to one of those above are then basically reserved for when people try to MANUALLY overclock beyond the XMP profile, which itself is HIGHLY TESTED by the memory manufacturer.

If you don't want to run the XMP profile on any current DDR5 platform then the highest speed you are going to be able to run for ANY consumer chipset, regardless of platform, will be 5600mhz for Intel's Z790 platform or 5200mhz for Ryzen 7000 series parts. And if we're being honest, the idea of XMP not being "stable" is ludicrous and complete BS. Sure, there CAN be problems related with it, but they are always one of those I've outlined above, most of which can cause problems whether you've enabled XMP or not, although enabling XMP will generally enhance any of those existing memory related problems. So if there is a problem with your memory configuration at the XMP profile configuration then there was most likely a problem ANYHOW.

If you are THAT seriously worried about stability, just be sure to get a platform that supports ECC memory and GET ECC memory. Period.

Here's someone that would disagree with your statement:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/8cuz6a/memory_speed_downclocking_itself/

Also, when I was on the Gigabyte USA Forum (which no longer exists), a power user bought a Corsair DDR4 kit which was on the QVL of his Z390 Aorus Master, and after using it for a year or so, it downclocked itself to the JEDEC default speed.

I just wanna stick with a high-speed JEDEC memory kit.

logainofhades

Titan
Here's someone that would disagree with your statement:

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/8cuz6a/memory_speed_downclocking_itself/

Also, when I was on the Gigabyte USA Forum (which no longer exists), a power user bought a Corsair DDR4 kit which was on the QVL of his Z390 Aorus Master, and after using it for a year or so, it downclocked itself to the JEDEC default speed.

If it downclocked, it was due to the bios turning off XMP. Could have been a bad battery, and the CMOS reset. Ram doesn't downclock itself. Ram speed is determined by motherboard.

There is no such thing. It does not exist. They do not MAKE high speed JEDEC kits. Especially not this early in the life of a new memory architecture. It took years for DDR4 to reach even 3200mhz native speeds and that was only on the higher end chipsets with higher end CPUs.

As I said before, the fastest native memory speed you will find supported, on 13th Gen Intel platforms, is DDR5 5600. That is it. There is nothing faster and there is not going to be until a newer platform is released that MIGHT give it another small gradual bump in native memory speed support but that is not a feature of the memory kit. It is a feature of the platform. So it makes literally NO difference whether you get a kit that supports the absolute fastest DDR5 available or one that is only 5600mhz. If you go with this platform and are unwilling to run the memory at the XMP profile then that is it. Period.

And for Ryzen 7000 platforms that number is 5200mhz. Period. There is NOTHING out there, at all, period, that supports native memory speeds of higher than 5600mhz, for Intel 13th Gen (And that is probably only on it's i5 or i7 and higher models PLUS that depends on how many DIMM slots the board has and how many DIMMs are being run. If you run two DIMMs in a board with four slots it's going to run at an even slower speed. If you run four DIMMs it's going to by default run a bit slower than that, by design.) and 5200mhz for AMD 7000 series platforms which based on prior architectures probably incur the same speed reduction penalties when more DIMMs are installed.

So the bottom line is, you are going to be SERIOUSLY hamstringing your performance potential over unfounded fears of problems that don't exist and won't ever happen UNLESS there is some other problem which needs to be resolved, which I outlined above. And for the record, the link you posted above, that guy had one of the problems I listed above almost certainly but you'd never know or be able to argue it because the guy was a complete idiot and lacked even the basic sensibility to not say he had a "Ryzen 5 system", which could have been either a first or second Generation Zen product, neither of which EVER supported DDR4 3200mhz worth a crap even all the way at the end just before Zen 2 was released. So his problems were because he chose to go with memory that was poorly, or not at all, supported on his platform. It had literally NOTHING to do with running the memory at it's XMP profile.

So if you want to avoid running XMP your only options are 5600mhz (Or slower, depending on how many DIMMs are installed) for Intel IF you choose a 13th Gen product or 5200mhz for AMD IF you choose a Ryzen 7000 series platform, and the same potential for reduction in speed will be probable for AMD as it is for Intel based on how many modules are installed.

And for the record, contrary to what somebody above stated, from the best information I can find the memory controller for DDR5 is NOT on the module, ONLY the PIMC which controls memory power rather than requiring the motherboard to do so, is located on the module. The memory controller is still in the CPU and it would have to be because the same processors for 12th and 13th gen Intel platforms support both DDR4 and DDR5 motherboards and they could not do that if the MC was not still in the CPU because DDR4 does absolutely not have anything related to the memory controller on the memory itself.

I gotta tell you. I've built hundreds, maybe even a thousand systems that supported XMP memory profiles and not one of them has ever had ANYTHING like what you are afraid of happen to any of them. So long as you select memory that is fully compatible with the motherboard and CPU you choose, and install them in the correct slots depending on how many DIMMs you choose to install, and make sure that ALL of the memory comes TOGETHER in one kit, and install everything correctly, and choose a good quality kit from a highly reputable manufacturer (Again, I recommend sticking to G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial, as those are the absolute best companies when it comes to memory quality and reliability, plus they offer very good compatibility information for memory kits based on exact motherboard model), you will never see a problem like you suggesting unless there is one of the problems I outlined in my earlier post in the mix.

It just does not happen without one of those factors involved and I don't care what you or anybody else says about it. I assure you, I am very experienced with memory configurations and systems building. I am not a memory engineer by any means, but I, like many others here, have more than 35 years experience building systems and I very much am not speaking to you out of my ear hole.

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable
There is no such thing. It does not exist. They do not MAKE high speed JEDEC kits. Especially not this early in the life of a new memory architecture. It took years for DDR4 to reach even 3200mhz native speeds and that was only on the higher end chipsets with higher end CPUs.

As I said before, the fastest native memory speed you will find supported, on 13th Gen Intel platforms, is DDR5 5600. That is it. There is nothing faster and there is not going to be until a newer platform is released that MIGHT give it another small gradual bump in native memory speed support but that is not a feature of the memory kit. It is a feature of the platform. So it makes literally NO difference whether you get a kit that supports the absolute fastest DDR5 available or one that is only 5600mhz. If you go with this platform and are unwilling to run the memory at the XMP profile then that is it. Period.

And for Ryzen 7000 platforms that number is 5200mhz. Period. There is NOTHING out there, at all, period, that supports native memory speeds of higher than 5600mhz, for Intel 13th Gen (And that is probably only on it's i5 or i7 and higher models PLUS that depends on how many DIMM slots the board has and how many DIMMs are being run. If you run two DIMMs in a board with four slots it's going to run at an even slower speed. If you run four DIMMs it's going to by default run a bit slower than that, by design.) and 5200mhz for AMD 7000 series platforms which based on prior architectures probably incur the same speed reduction penalties when more DIMMs are installed.

So the bottom line is, you are going to be SERIOUSLY hamstringing your performance potential over unfounded fears of problems that don't exist and won't ever happen UNLESS there is some other problem which needs to be resolved, which I outlined above. And for the record, the link you posted above, that guy had one of the problems I listed above almost certainly but you'd never know or be able to argue it because the guy was a complete idiot and lacked even the basic sensibility to not say he had a "Ryzen 5 system", which could have been either a first or second Generation Zen product, neither of which EVER supported DDR4 3200mhz worth a crap even all the way at the end just before Zen 2 was released. So his problems were because he chose to go with memory that was poorly, or not at all, supported on his platform. It had literally NOTHING to do with running the memory at it's XMP profile.

So if you want to avoid running XMP your only options are 5600mhz (Or slower, depending on how many DIMMs are installed) for Intel IF you choose a 13th Gen product or 5200mhz for AMD IF you choose a Ryzen 7000 series platform, and the same potential for reduction in speed will be probable for AMD as it is for Intel based on how many modules are installed.

And for the record, contrary to what somebody above stated, from the best information I can find the memory controller for DDR5 is NOT on the module, ONLY the PIMC which controls memory power rather than requiring the motherboard to do so, is located on the module. The memory controller is still in the CPU and it would have to be because the same processors for 12th and 13th gen Intel platforms support both DDR4 and DDR5 motherboards and they could not do that if the MC was not still in the CPU because DDR4 does absolutely not have anything related to the memory controller on the memory itself.

I gotta tell you. I've built hundreds, maybe even a thousand systems that supported XMP memory profiles and not one of them has ever had ANYTHING like what you are afraid of happen to any of them. So long as you select memory that is fully compatible with the motherboard and CPU you choose, and install them in the correct slots depending on how many DIMMs you choose to install, and make sure that ALL of the memory comes TOGETHER in one kit, and install everything correctly, and choose a good quality kit from a highly reputable manufacturer (Again, I recommend sticking to G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial, as those are the absolute best companies when it comes to memory quality and reliability, plus they offer very good compatibility information for memory kits based on exact motherboard model), you will never see a problem like you suggesting unless there is one of the problems I outlined in my earlier post in the mix.

It just does not happen without one of those factors involved and I don't care what you or anybody else says about it. I assure you, I am very experienced with memory configurations and systems building. I am not a memory engineer by any means, but I, like many others here, have more than 35 years experience building systems and I very much am not speaking to you out of my ear hole.

OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.