Question Which ethernet driver is the best to use for Gigabyte 8118 Ethernet Adapter ?

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Should I use ethernet driver off Gigabytes motherboard driver list that was last updated in 2021, or is it best to grab ethernet driver from Realtek.com and install that one?

I'm asking since I don't wanna install a driver and mess something up on my fairly clean Windows 11 Pro install. Typically I try to update my ethernet driver usually every 6 months, but it seems Gigabyte site isn't update much, and not sure if it's wise to use driver from Realtek.com.

if using the Gigabyte motherboard's Ethernet, then use Gigabyte's drivers.
if using a dedicated Realtek Ethernet card, use Realtek's.

motherboards will not keep updating drivers & software forever.
usually by the time the chipset is becoming outdated they are done with updates.

and the ones available will be fine to use, nothing new will have been developed that would require any updated drivers so there's really no reason for the manufacturer/developer to keep offering updates.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Oh ok, Thank you for the reply, and will continue using the Motherboard driver for this Ethernet adapter and remove the Realtek.com drivers from the site, as the other one Kept saying installing 11. something driver, then another, and another, and then finally got to 10. something and finally was done.

I was like should i updated to this Realtek.com Driver, then i was like think i'll ask

Motherboard makers if you are lucky update the bios and that is mostly based on firmware they get from the chipset vendors like intel.

The ethernet drivers even the ones you get from the motherboard sites are provided by the makers of the ethernet chips. The motherboard makers do want to pay programmers to maintain software that really has no unique features. The motherboard makers also are very lazy when it comes to support...pertty much even of the bios.

The best drivers tend to be the chipset vendors. You get very few updates on ethernet chips. Once they work the bugs out after a new release they will be very stable for many years. The only way you get new features on a ethernet is to replace the hardware so there is no need to change the drivers.

The worst place to get drivers are the ones microsoft like to install with their updates. They have a long history of updating drivers with older versions..it causes huge issue on say a video card. If microsoft would actually only put out true security patches we could get a stable OS but they constantly bundle garbage new features into their so called "security" updates. All these new things then soon need to also be patch for security issues.