Which fan should I get for my heat issue?

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Ever since I put my GPU into my system 5 months ago my system would randomly shut down. I narrowed it down to being my MOBO overheating issue, and not the actual GPU itself, and the only way I can keep everything running is if the GPU fans are at 100%, and the side panel is off the case. So until I get around to getting a new MOBO I'm just going to try to keep things as cool as possible until I can upgrade it. I've been looking into another fan to put into my system, so I can keep everything at a temp that will prevent my system from shuting off. I've looked at this....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1PC48M5085&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Case+Fans-_-9SIA1PC48M5085&gclid=CjwKEAjwg6W6BRDn6v__7vzN9QkSJAC9l9C3HRQ3Pv3MqxTP7U4bih6LoFV2YobyHzi0FCF_mYx4FhoCt_vw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

fan which goes 2000RPM's, and is faster than my 1500RPM fan in the front which isn't really pushing enough air through my case to provide efficient airflow. Then I looked into this one....

http://www.microcenter.com/product/284960/SB-F1_Fox-1_System_Blower

Which goes at 2400RPM, and will sit closer to the GPU. Which one would be the better option to help cool things down, or will getting both just be better overall?

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

I have a GTX 950, and I can confirm that during gameplay my GPU temps don't even go past 60 degrees. So Its most definitely my MOBO. Also, I'm using just the CPU from my AMD A10 7870K, and my MOBO is an Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H.

Krishan Mourya

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015

APUs are already bad CPUs as they cannot be specifically classified as "CPUs". So, its definitely your CPU& Motherboard.
Mind getting a i3 6100 with Gigabyte110M-A?

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

The CPU aspect of the chip is fine, no bottlenecks, and its a quad core. I wouldn't bother downgrading to a dual core, especially not now. I'm waiting for Zen to get an actual upgrade for my rig.

Krishan Mourya

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015

There's much more to consider than just the cores and clock speeds. But I can bet that it cant be even half as power as a i3 6100. i3 6100 is powerful than FX 8350 also which is an octa core with 4 GHz speed.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

Meh, it gets the job done. I'd rather just wait to upgrade both like I said, I think it will be worth it.

The 7870k can easily run a gtx950 , if he were running a 970 or r9 390 then an upgrade to Intel may make sense but it 100% doesn't here.

Daniel Thomas - not sure on your insistence of it being anything to do with the motherboard.
If your having to run with GPU fans at 100% & the case side off its plainly a overheating/case cooling issue.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

The reason I'm saying its the motherboard is because I've had the same issue with my last one, that ended up not booting back up after this issue occured without the GPU installed. So I had to end up exchanging for a new one, and when I just so happen to install a new GPU a several months ago its starts happening again with this new one.

Krishan Mourya

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015

Then, I think there's something else causing the problem. I suspect your PSU may be faulty which isnt able to provide power to your system at stable voltages. Can you tell which PSU model you have?

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

I have an EVGA 500W 80+ power supply. I've already troubleshot the PSU before. Someone recommended to me to get the bronze version, I did and I kept getting the same results. So I took it back, and I'm sure this point I'm sure its not the PSU, unless I'm missing something? I'm starting to get the issue more frequently now, after I tried overclocking, so I just put everything back to the default except for the fan speeds, and I'm still getting the issue. Not quite sure what it is at this point, I've even got a room fan blasting on it to keep everything cool, and it still froze. The game I was playing wasn't even intensive, so I don't know what is going on.

Krishan Mourya

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015

Don't know whats happening but I'm suspecting it to be some driver issue because I have been noticing more than 40 threads from last two days and everyone is complaining about their PC freezing while playing games. I tried solving a few of those threads but nothing worked for them . Maybe you should clean install your windows without putting your GPU and using Integrated Graphics for sometime to check if it works fine.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

Hmmmm... possibly. Something is telling me this could very well be a W10 issue, and maybe not the video drivers themselves. Someone told me a while back that W10 has been causing people to freeze when playing games, and its odd because it just randomly decide when it wants to happen. At first I notice this issue started happening when playing COD:BO3 zombies, and that is when I started attributing this issue to heat. It sort of worked, but now its super wonky, its like regardless of what I try, or do nothing works. Whatever the game is its just freezes anyways. I hope the issue resolves itself like it normally does.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
I've been talking on the Nvidia forums about this. At first I thought it was drivers, now I think my CPU may be overheating after using 4 different programs to test, and now I just thought of something else that might help me fix this. When I initially started getting this issue again, it took me awhile to get my computer to boot back up. I spent an hour fiddling with the BIOS to get the computer to boot up past the windows icon, and then when It did the GPU would just loose signal. It was late at night so i just decided to give it up, and I came back in the morning to see what I could do, and it booted up like normal. Keep in mind this was the first time after I tried OCing and then the computer shut itself off. So I tried playing Arkham Knight again, and I notice the FPS was ridiculously low, then I realized that I forgot to change a couple more settings in the BIOS after I had loaded defaults.

I took the CPU clock up to 4.1ghz, and the NorthBridge from auto to 2000Mhz. I started the game and the FPS shot back up to where it normally is, but after just a few minutes of playing every thing froze and rebooted again. So I went back to BIOS thinking that reducing the CPU speed might fix it, and of course still it hasn't. Now I just realized though that it was increasing the NB that boosted my FPS, and 2000Mhz is as high as I can go on my MOBO, if I go any higher I can't boot. So If I decrease the NB to around lets say 1500Mhz, could my issue be fixed with out any loss in FPS?

Reset bios to stock (upping the nb when you already have stability issues is not the best idea)

Download & install amd overdrive
http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/over-drive

& Intel burntest

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/intelburntest.html

Unzip burntest & run it.
Open overdrive aswell & switch to the CPU status tab - start an Intel burntest with the start button & let it run through as a stability test.

Overdrive will show a thermal margin on all cores , keep a note of this + the clock speeds on all cores while burn test is running.
The thermal margin counts down fromvtge Max chip temp so should be above 0c (preferably 10c or more) at all times.

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

Well, my NB has always been clocked at 2000Mhz, even before I had my GPU, I just set it back. Keep in mind I was explaining a few days ago when this started happening. I have Overdive already, it was one of the 4 programs I used to check my temps, but I will download Intel burntest and see what happens. You want me to see if the Max chip temp stays about 0 C, should it always be above 0 C though if the computer is running?

Daniel Thomas

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
Ok, I ran the burntest. It seems like under standard stress the clocks go between 1.697Mhz and 3.993, and the lowest I saw the thermal margins drop was to 18C and the highest it hang out around 24C. Similar case with high stress except that once the lowest the thermal margins dropped was to 12C, other than that everything else was the same.