Question Which GPU to hit 60 FPS on 5120*1440 monitor?

rasdane

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
Hi,

Looking for advice/recommendations to upgrade my GPU (and maybe other parts).

Over time, I've put together an ITX gaming PC for myself and my kids, lucking into some nice parts as I went -- either via sales or getting good deals on used parts.

The current set-up:
CPU: R7 5800x
GPU: 3070 ti (8 GB VRAM)
Mobo: B550-I
RAM: 16 GB (3600 MHz) DDR4
PSU: 750W
Cooler: BeQuiet PureRock 2
Plus some random SSDs

For a while, we were playing on a decent 1080p monitor, and the above was probably overkill for our needs.

However, recently, through a friend who was moving, I was basically given a Samsumg CRG9 monitor -- 5120*1440. (I'm a lucky guy!) But that's a whole lot more pixels than I had!

In the games we play that can take advantage of the extra real estate (e,g., "Forza 5", "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture"), I am only hitting btw 20-30 FPS, which make them hard to play honestly.
And even in games that don't have the ultra-ultra wide view, having ray-tracing on (e.g., "Portal with RTX") means I'm getting around 45 FPS.

My goals:
Average 60 FPS in the 5120*1440 view with High or better settings in the above mentioned games -- and in others that I haven't yet played, like "Spider-Man" and "The Last of Us".
In RTX games (even if "only" in 32:9 view) to also average the 60 FPS with High or better settings.

I am hoping (but please correct me) that I can achieve this by upgrading the GPU and maybe adding RAM. Would I have to upgrade the CPU as well? I would love to not upgrade the rest of the AM4 platform for a while, so I believe a 5800x3D would be the logical place to go... but again, if I can leave my current CPU, I would rather spend that cash on a better GPU.

So my question is: What GPU should I get to achieve the above as cheaply as possible?
I am fine with getting something used.
I don't have a preference of NVIDEA vs AMD for the GPU -- only that my understanding is that NVIDEA does better with ray-tracing.

Any advice is most appreciated. Thank you in advance.
R

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
n the games we play that can take advantage of the extra real estate (e,g., "Forza 5", "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture"), I am only hitting btw 20-30 FPS, which make them hard to play honestly.
And even in games that don't have the ultra-ultra wide view, having ray-tracing on (e.g., "Portal with RTX") means I'm getting around 45 FPS.
How much of a CPU & GPU utilization are you getting while playing?

This is to identify what's lacking, so we can come to a better upgrade decision.

Generally, the CPU is kind of like what determines the FPS in most games.

Reactions: rasdane
Resolution has a MASSIVE impact on game performance. To lay things out:

1080*1920= 2,073,600 (FHD or 1080p)

1440*2560= 3,686,400 (QHD or 1440p)

2160*3840= 8,294,400 (4K)

1440* 5120= 7,372,800 (You)

You might squeak by with less, if you consider lowering settings. But you are just shy of 4K in regards to actual pixel count. At these resolutions, CPU matters less (or not at all) since you will most likely be GPU limited. You will need a new PSU for whatever you get.

Aug 2, 2023
Although this seems like an extremely high resolution, it is actually only 12% above 4k. I think people were scared by the number, but that's it. It is similar to 4k demand.

With DLSS or DLSS3, you can easily achieve 60FPS with a RTX4070TI Super or TI in most games. It's my recommendation.

But keep in mind that use Ray Tracing will hurt performance by a lot in any game. Even if you buy a RTX4090.

Don't worry about CPU. Have absolutely no idea why people are talking about ii. Higher the resolution, less CPU you will need since necessarly less frame will be rendered. So less work from CPU. MUCH less in this case. 5800X is certainly enough to keep any GPU at 100% workload at this resolution in any modern game. Even competitive ones.

rasdane

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
Thank you everyone for the advice. Much appreciated.

I'm going to wait a bit to see what happens with pricing over the next few months. But sounds like a 4070ti Super (or the ti if I can still find it at the time) will be my best bet.

Thank you again.

Reactions: Why_Me
Thank you everyone for the advice. Much appreciated.

I'm going to wait a bit to see what happens with pricing over the next few months. But sounds like a 4070ti Super (or the ti if I can still find it at the time) will be my best bet.

Thank you again.

have a look at the amd 7900 gre card probly best value without breaking bank. if you drop certain settings down in games you should hit consistent 60.

what is your psu ? model.

i dont see your cpu being a issue.

the pc would benefit from going to 16gbx2 sticks of ddr4 3200mhz some games are quite greedy e.g hogwarts legacy.

rasdane

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2017
have a look at the amd 7900 gre card probly best value without breaking bank. if you drop certain settings down in games you should hit consistent 60.

what is your psu ? model.

i dont see your cpu being a issue.

the pc would benefit from going to 16gbx2 sticks of ddr4 3200mhz some games are quite greedy e.g hogwarts legacy.
PSU is Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W
More RAM might be a good idea.

That new AMD card looks interesting. But it pains me to have to turn down settings once I'm paying more than $500 for the GPU. :)

PSU is Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750W
More RAM might be a good idea.

That new AMD card looks interesting. But it pains me to have to turn down settings once I'm paying more than $500 for the GPU. :)
settings im only suggesting is pretty much draw distance if the game has it.
also turn off vsync if your game is under 60 frames as that actually caps the gpus performance.

or shadows. trust me on this your not going notice much with shadows i can barely tell the diffrence between medium and low shadows. but turning shadows just to low or medium and everything else cranked.
in most games there's very little difference in high vs ultra.

the I advise 16gb x 2 3200 or 3600 its best to only run it on 2 lanes my advise is sell the 16gb. that alone will actually help alot in demanding titles. especially if you like building games like cities skylines that thing hogs ram.

that power supply should be fine for the gre 7900

Ah, I see, you are right: I doubt I would notice those either.
And makes total sense about the RAM. I'll start there.
Thank you again! :)

no problem small example of shadows

in games like cyber punk for example you have alot of buildings and people so the gpu has to pretty much make a shadow for every character or building depending on where the light source hits.

if you havent already with the 3070 ti try tweaking the above settings with that and see if it will improve your gameplay
if you have specific games drop me a message i can possibly find a solution for said games