[SOLVED] Which GPUs work with Dell Precision T3500?

ilievxman99

Reputable
Apr 28, 2016
Hello,

I have a Dell Precision T3500 with an X5650, 12GB DDR3 RAM and a Quadro 4000. I am looking to upgrade to a gaming GPU which I will use for both gaming but also CAD programs such as Autocad and Inventor. So based on numerous variables I have decided to go with a used GTX 950. I wonder if these cards require UEFI? Since my Dell only has legacy bios. Are all aftermarket editions compatibe? Or is it only certain brands like MSI which have an onboard switch between UEFI and Legacy? Please only reply if you have tried such cards on the same or similar machine.

Thank you in advance,
ilievxman99

Solution
Hello,

I have a Dell Precision T3500 with an X5650, 12GB DDR3 RAM and a Quadro 4000. I am looking to upgrade to a gaming GPU which I will use for both gaming but also CAD programs such as Autocad and Inventor. So based on numerous variables I have decided to go with a used GTX 950. I wonder if these cards require UEFI? Since my Dell only has legacy bios. Are all aftermarket editions compatibe? Or is it only certain brands like MSI which have an onboard switch between UEFI and Legacy? Please only reply if you have tried such cards on the same or similar machine.

Thank you in advance,
ilievxman99

Dear ilievxman99,
I have recently upgraded my old GPU (amd firepro v5800) to Zotac gtx 1080 mini.
Zotac gtx 1080 Mini and...
I have a evga gtx 1060 in my t3500, nvidia cards tend to behave better then amd cards on old systems like ours. Granted I've had a r9 380x at one point and it was fine, seems that the legacy problem is more common on sapphire cards. But I can't any issues for you.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm given to understand that modern AMD cards won't work if the older BIOS requires VESA mode 103. UNLESS the board vendor included a switch to allow for running in that mode, to work with Legacy BIOS (this is where it gets a little puzzling)

In my own experience, the Sandy Bridge era XPS 8300 did NOT work with the Gigabyte Windforce OC R9 285 that I had. This card did NOT have one of those BIOS switches, though. I've read on the Dell forums that other people had success with other R9 285 models that had a switch to work with Legacy BIOS - but I can't personally confirm.

Nov 29, 2019
Hello,

Thank you in advance,
ilievxman99

Dear ilievxman99,
I have recently upgraded my old GPU (amd firepro v5800) to Zotac gtx 1080 mini.
Zotac gtx 1080 Mini and Gigabyte gtx 1080 mini are only GPU gtx 1080 cards that can fit in the case, without removing HD shelf.
For those cards Standard Dell T3500 power supply 500W is ok (approved from Zotac on my case).
I have just plugged-in the new card, installed driver and thats it. working flawlessly… also in Autocad Civil 3D 2018, 3DS MAX 2018, X-plane, etc…
Advice: prior to installing new GPU card, remove all drivers for old card.
Get latest bios firmware A017..

Have fun

My cong: Dell T3500, 12GB Ram, X5687, Zotac gtx 1080, 2x ssd, 2x HD raid.

Solution
The VESA 103 issue has to do with some computers (almost all BTX Dells) requiring that to display the BIOS screen. AMD GCN3 which is R9-285/380 and R9-295 and newer don't support VESA Modes. Some won't boot, some require F1 to boot, and some can run a 2nd older GPU to allow the BIOS to proceed and then run the newer AMD card also. This has nothing to do with the UEFI/ Legacy BIOS switch.
Legacy GPUs can run in UEFI computers set to Compatability mode. UEFI cards need UEFI to run. I've heard there are some BIOS that run both now.