[SOLVED] Which has better performance, Ryzen 7 5800H (no gpu) vs i7-1165G7 w/ MX450 & Thunderbolt 4?

Aug 4, 2021
I have a choice between two laptop models. They are identical in every way, except that one has the Ryzen 7 5800H, and the other has i7-1165G7 and includes a discrete GPU, the MX450, and because it's Intel, it also supports Thunderbolt 4.

This is not for gaming, but I will be doing lots of graphics work, huge amounts of tabs (hundreds) and multiple virtual desktops multitasking, and some video editing, but not much. I'm a poweruser and will be using this as a workhorse.

What do you think will be the better combo? The AMD without gpu, or the Intel+MX450?

Last edited:
Solution
I have a choice between two laptop models. They are identical in every way, except that one has the Ryzen 7 5800H, and the other has i7-1165G7 and includes a discrete GPU, the MX450, and because it's Intel, it also supports Thunderbolt 4.

This is not for gaming, but I will be doing lots of graphics work, huge amounts of tabs (hundreds) and multiple virtual desktops multitasking, and some video editing, but not much. I'm a poweruser and will be using this as a workhorse.

What do you think will be the better combo? The AMD without gpu, or the Intel+MX450?

For the work you mentioned, more cores the better. The 5800H has to be the one.
5800H does have a higher TDP, but its double the cores.
Aug 4, 2021
On further research, the intel+MX450 is better, but marginally. the 5800H's integrated iGPU which is Vega 8 is very comparable to the MX450.

Performance:
Vega 8: 8.0 pts
MX450: 10.3 pts

However the 5800H Ryzen is a way better cpu than the 1165G7. It is dramatically better on multicore performance.

So overall, it seems that the 5800H is the better deal overall.

The only major downside is the lack of Thunderbolt 4, which means I have to find a new dock for external monitors and can't use my awesome Thunderbolt 4 dock that cost hundreds of dollars.

I hope AMD adds Thunderbolt 4 support soon.

oggyphillips

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2015

For the work you mentioned, more cores the better. The 5800H has to be the one.
5800H does have a higher TDP, but its double the cores.

Solution