Which Intel CPUs Support XP Mode Virtualization?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How do this work? Do you have to install something inside Windows 7 or is it built in?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]My t-bird is still going after 8 years. Granted the ~20% OC in the last couple has caused degradation. I used to run it at 969MHz (up from 800 stock), then 958, 936 and finally back down to 900 after it decided not to POST the other day causing the BIOS to reset to what it thinks is stock. I do so love being able to change the multi with DIP switches (pencil multi unlocks FTW). All these fancy BIOS settings aren't as fun as flicking switches.[/citation]
Rater low overclock... but then yours survived. mine was about 40% overclocked, but when the voltmod on the motherboard gave up it blew the cpu as well.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Rater low overclock... but then yours survived. mine was about 40% overclocked, but when the voltmod on the motherboard gave up it blew the cpu as well.[/citation]
It didn't respond to higher voltage. I put it up to 1.85V and it didn't go any higher.

G

I have a unibody MacBook running the P7350. This http://www.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/ this: http://www.grc.com/securable.htm and Sandra all tell me that my P7350 DOES support Intel's virtualization technology.

neoprimal

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
I can't get it to work with my Q6600, even though VT is enabled in the bios, detected by CPU-Z and this other app called Securable. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling VPC for 7 as well as the XP vhds.

Has anyone with a Q6600 gotten XP Mode to work?

G

About time someone find a pin-mod to enable IVT. We could already pinmod the vCore and the FSB strap however we'd like, now just give us the CPU pin layout and we'll find a way to enable the virtualization bit.

G

I'm not surprised that not every Intel processor can run XP Mode in Windows 7. It's a deal between Microsoft and Intel. Just to help Intel to boost sales. And, bet my word in next couple of years or so Microsoft will come up again with new OS which will then support XP Mode irrespective of the processor just to lure people into buying it. These are all marketing gimmick to maximize profit.

G

i bought a vista pc and was not going to be faced with driver problems',then loaded straight back to xp,now this about the processor not able to manage virtual xp with windows7.

simple stay with xp.

G

The E7400 SLGW3, E7500 SLGTE and E8300 SLGUR support virtualization according to the intel website

G

This article is obsolete. Update for Windows 7 (KB977206)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB977206) removes the need for this requirement XP mode now functions on ALL processors that run Windows 7. -Roy Vij

G

Here above ED Bott's list seems to have a little mistake or maybe I'm wrong?The T5500 doesn't support VT: http://ark.intel.com/products/27253/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-T5500-(2M-Cache-1_66-GHz-667-MHz-FSB)

Status
Not open for further replies.