[SOLVED] Which is it better to upgrade?

afonsogt123tablet

Reputable
Dec 24, 2017
Hello peeps, I need some help on deciding what should be my first upgrade or if even more than anything wait a bit more.

So currently my system is:
  • Intel i3 8100 w/ stock cooler
  • GIGABYTE GTX 1050ti
  • MSI Z370 Tomahawk
  • 8x2 DDR4 2400Mz + 4 x 2 DDR5 2400Mz
  • 600w PSU Offbrand

When it comes to games I usually play at 1080p 144 FPS but I can't play alot of more recent games at that framerate (Example: Apex Legends, Overwatch).

This usually would be more than enough for me but recently I've been meaning to play games such as: Cyberpunk, Cold War and VR games.
Also started to do video editing and using blender for 3d animation alot more.

So my question is what should I upgrade to improve my performance first and to mayhaps what?

All sugestions are welcomed. :)

Solution
A balanced gamer will budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

Games such as sims, strategy and mmo do best with fast single thread performance.
Fast action games do well with a strong graphics card.
I suspect that the GTX1600 cards and the 9th gen processors will be on sale at black Friday prices,

afonsogt123tablet

Reputable
Dec 24, 2017
It doesn't. But no point in adding better hardware with a trash PSU. The PSU is the heart of your system. It should be of high quality and in great shape. You wouldn't add a turbocharger to a vehicle with a blown engine.
Ah I see, then I'll folow your advice and buy a better one then, I'll search immeadiatly. But afterwards my problem still stands, what's next to upgrade my performance?

I think you now have a relatively well balanced pc.
In what way is your pc lacking?
What is your budget?
What is the make/model of your case?

Games are limited by the cpu or the graphics card.
It pays to know which.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you need a cpu upgrade, you have many options.
Here are the processors that your motherboard supports:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-TOMAHAWK#support-cpu
I5-9600K or i7 9700K would be strong upgrades that will need an aftermarket cooler. If your case permits 160mm cooler height, you will have many good cooler options.

If you play fast action games, then a graphics card is a good upgrade,
Particularly at higher resolutions.
I don't know that now is a great time to buy a big graphics upgrade.
The new 3000 series cards have great price/performance, but demand is high resulting in scarcity and price gouging.
A GTX1650/1660 class card would be a nice upgrade.

Your current GTX1050ti requires minimal power. A 300w psu would have done it.
But, as you upgrade to stronger graphics cards and processors, the load on the psu increases.
The problem with a cheap psu is that it
will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
A quality psu in the 550-650w range should be considered as a long term investment.
They do not go obsolete. Look at the seasonic focus units. They will have 7 and 10 year warranties.

afonsogt123tablet

Reputable
Dec 24, 2017
I think you now have a relatively well balanced pc.
In what way is your pc lacking?
What is your budget?
What is the make/model of your case?

Games are limited by the cpu or the graphics card.
It pays to know which.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you need a cpu upgrade, you have many options.
Here are the processors that your motherboard supports:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-TOMAHAWK#support-cpu
I5-9600K or i7 9700K would be strong upgrades that will need an aftermarket cooler. If your case permits 160mm cooler height, you will have many good cooler options.

If you play fast action games, then a graphics card is a good upgrade,
Particularly at higher resolutions.
I don't know that now is a great time to buy a big graphics upgrade.
The new 3000 series cards have great price/performance, but demand is high resulting in scarcity and price gouging.
A GTX1650/1660 class card would be a nice upgrade.

Your current GTX1050ti requires minimal power. A 300w psu would have done it.
But, as you upgrade to stronger graphics cards and processors, the load on the psu increases.
The problem with a cheap psu is that it
will be made of substandard components. It will not have safety and overload protections.
The danger is if it fails under load, it can destroy anything it is connected to.
It will deliver advertised power only at room temperatures, not at higher temperatures found when installed in a case.
The wattage will be delivered on the 3 and 5v rails, not on the 12v rails where modern parts
like the CPU and Graphics cards need it. What power is delivered may fluctuate and cause instability
issues that are hard to diagnose.
A quality psu in the 550-650w range should be considered as a long term investment.
They do not go obsolete. Look at the seasonic focus units. They will have 7 and 10 year warranties.
I'll reply first to the questions:
  • R1: My PC is mostly lacking the ability in competitive games (such as apex) to reach 144 fps (80 fps average) which I have a monitor for, or even running games such as Modern Warfare averaging 55 FPS on Potato Graphics making it barely even playable. (PS: I bought FFXV and I can only run on minimum at 60 fps)
  • R2: I'd say my budget is around 500 USD.
  • R3: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Performance Tempered Glass.
About that cap on either the cpu or the gpu, i've noticed my GPU at 100% way more than my cpu, my cpu being often at 85-90% when gpu is at 100%. Ive ran benchmarks on AOC, Gears 5 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider all with multiple graphical settings

Last edited:
Love the lancool case.
With a $500 budget, see if you can manage:
1. I5-9600K You get 6 threads and a nice boost in single thread performance.
Plus the possibility of some 25% more via overclocking. About $200

2. You will need an aftermarket cpu cooler. I like the noctua NH-U12s for about $60.

3. Buy a GTX1650/60 class card. It is a major jump in graphics capability.
$300 or so.

afonsogt123tablet

Reputable
Dec 24, 2017
Love the lancool case.
With a $500 budget, see if you can manage:
1. I5-9600K You get 6 threads and a nice boost in single thread performance.
Plus the possibility of some 25% more via overclocking. About $200

2. You will need an aftermarket cpu cooler. I like the noctua NH-U12s for about $60.

3. Buy a GTX1650/60 class card. It is a major jump in graphics capability.
$300 or so.
I meant 500 USD as in 400€ for just one upgrade itself, I was consedering a i9 9900KF or i7 9700KF whichever i find in promotion (300 for 97 and 330 for 99)

Now for the GPU at around 400€ I just have no idea atm with all the new graphics card coming almost montly

If I do an upgrade for now I'd be for just one part, sorry I forgot to mention it will go either for the GPU or the CPU set (Example CPU or CPU plus motherboard if its worth)

Your GTX1050ti is very weak to attempt 144 fps. Even at 1080P
That is why I asked you to try the test I described.
You may be cpu limited, or you may be graphics limited.
You need to find out for YOUR games or you may be disappointed if you do not get significant results.
Most games tend to be graphics limited.

If you are looking at a K suffix processor, you need to budget for a good cooler.
They do not come with coolers, and the old stock intel cooler is totally inadequate.
When looking at the i5-9600K, I7-9700K, and i9-9900K processors, they all will have similar single thread performance which is what games need most. perhaps 5.0
The difference is in how many threads you get.
6/8/16 respectively.
Your i3-8100 has 4. clock is 3.6
Most games do not take advantage of more than 4-6 threads.
The exception is multiplayer games with many participants.

I think you would be disappointed with a cpu upgrade if you kept the GTX1050ti.

None of this is forever. Yes, in time a balanced upgrade will eventually need to be upgraded again. But, in the mean time, you will get the performance you are looking for.

afonsogt123tablet

Reputable
Dec 24, 2017
Your GTX1050ti is very weak to attempt 144 fps. Even at 1080P
That is why I asked you to try the test I described.
You may be cpu limited, or you may be graphics limited.
You need to find out for YOUR games or you may be disappointed if you do not get significant results.
Most games tend to be graphics limited.

If you are looking at a K suffix processor, you need to budget for a good cooler.
They do not come with coolers, and the old stock intel cooler is totally inadequate.
When looking at the i5-9600K, I7-9700K, and i9-9900K processors, they all will have similar single thread performance which is what games need most. perhaps 5.0
The difference is in how many threads you get.
6/8/16 respectively.
Your i3-8100 has 4. clock is 3.6
Most games do not take advantage of more than 4-6 threads.
The exception is multiplayer games with many participants.

I think you would be disappointed with a cpu upgrade if you kept the GTX1050ti.

None of this is forever. Yes, in time a balanced upgrade will eventually need to be upgraded again. But, in the mean time, you will get the performance you are looking for.
Well I mentioned that I'm being mostly gpu limited since it showed my GPU kept getting capped when cpu wasn't but I do know that it's pretty similar values and the best would be to upgrade both.

The thing is im scared of missing out on black friday and I also want some decent parts that lets me play since in like 2 years or so more all the games on recomended settings (or at least most of them). Do you think if I buy those two you mentioned earlier within the 400 budget I'll still be able to play games in recomended in 2 years?

A balanced gamer will budget about 2x the cost of the processor for the graphics card.

Games such as sims, strategy and mmo do best with fast single thread performance.
I suspect that the GTX1600 cards and the 9th gen processors will be on sale at black Friday prices,

Solution

afonsogt123tablet

Reputable
Dec 24, 2017

Thanks alot for the replies, it has helped me alot when it came to my doubts. I'll shall keep an eye for those 2 this black friday and buy when I can :D