Which is the best monitor?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

I agree with GoSharks here that it is difficult to find objective data on the topic of eyestrain. Its a very subjective experience. Some folks find blurrines in FPS games on slow LCDs, not bothersome at all - others are sensitive in the extreme on fast screens. My eyes hurt, yours feel fine - how can we quatify that?
Most people also want to justify their expensive purchases - who wants to shell out $1000-2000 and then say their monitor sucks? So everyone has personal spin.
GoSharks is not about to change world purchasing agendas with his comments on TH! And last I saw his company sold LCDs too.
As to 'what is the best monitor' - that's like what is the best car? There's a seat for every bum and a bum for every seat - but which one fits you?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.

Boots_old

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2001
Televisions have the advantage to be limited to one resolution. Therefor there is some kind of a mask, that makes an afterglow, so the image will flicker less - atleast so I am told. Also they reproduce the lines in cross (english is not my first language) they make: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, ... and then 2, 4, 6, 8, ... . I believe that is also for reducing the fell of flickering.

Boots_old

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2001
There might be a way:
The Eizo L365 has some sort of compressor for the dynamic range. So, if your monitor is to bright even at the lowest brightness setting, you can turn down the contrast.

This is how it works - no matter, how brightness and contrast are set:
You push the button, and it adjusts the picture, so there is a difference between all the scaling points. The difference will just be bigger or smaller depending on your contrast setting. And it will leave your brightness setting as is too. I find it quite usefull. However keep in mind, my monitor is brand new, so I may change my mind as time goes by. But so far I like the feature.

Boots_old

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2001
But I guess, your problem came fron a faulty monitor? I have read too many posts in this forum - cronology is getting messed up in my brain :)

G

All I know is when I stare at a CRT for a long time, my head will hurt after awhile. When I stare a an LCD (I have a laptop at my apart.) even all day, I am fine. I know there is a difference, and I really don't care if there is scientific proof or not. I know there is some kind of difference there.

Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Boots_old

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2001
I am not going to argue over that. I have not had my L365 for long enough time to be able to tell for shure, but untill now, my eyes are happy, wich they where not with my 5years old Eizo f67 CRT.

imo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
I just want to say that you might be able to stare at a television all day long, but I bet you don't stare at one 2 ft away!!

I am sure there is not a test done on this, but just for fun, why don't we all get off our butt and move right in front of a television screen as close as what we normally be in front of a monitor, and see if we notice any flicker?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
See that's why I don't watch TV. I notice flicker, even from across the room. I even notice flicker right now on my Sony Multiscan 100sx @ 85Hz. I have had projects where I had to transfer comp video to TV, and as always some problem arises, so I end up sitting right in front of TV for a few hours- teh first time I transfered to TV I didn't have any software like adobe premiere, so I had to play a movie file, stop video, load next movie file, calculate how long before record, etc. This took a long time. My eyes were very bloodshot and I hurt liek hell- even teh nxt day. Moral of teh story- don't use TV that much. IMHO, LCD's are great in that they don't flicker, and I can't wait to go back to LCD when FFD comes out.

Sig of the week.

Boots_old

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2001
There will be plenty of flicker. I have tested this out before. Just not as much, as if it was a PC monitor doing 50Hz.
Don't we all see flicker on a TV, if (wich is rare for the same reason) a completely white image turns up. I know people with 100Hz TVs ought not to suffer so much from it.
Now it beats me! When 100Hz televisions came out, there where complaints, that sounded like description of afterglow. My guess is, that they used the same as usual kind of mask, that is ment to produce afterglow.