Which laptops are easiest to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Which laptops are the easiest to upgrade, e.g., replace a component such as
a modem, hard drive or memory module?
Add a hard drive or memory?

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

>Which laptops are the easiest to upgrade, e.g., replace a component such as
>a modem, hard drive or memory module?
>Add a hard drive or memory?

IMHO, IBM Thinkpad ... also important, the laptop Hardware Maintenance
Manuals, BIOS and Driver updates are available online. Checkout:

http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-39298.html
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/TPAD-MATRIX.html

ThinkPad components remain available for several years.

Regards ... John

"John" <jeshoemaker@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> >Which laptops are the easiest to upgrade, e.g., replace a component such
as
> >a modem, hard drive or memory module?
> >Add a hard drive or memory?
>
> IMHO, IBM Thinkpad ... also important, the laptop Hardware Maintenance
> Manuals, BIOS and Driver updates are available online. Checkout:

Do not all the majors, e.g., Dell, Sony and Toshiba also have such info and
software online?

Howard Kaikow <kaikow@standards.com> wrote:

> Do not all the majors, e.g., Dell, Sony and Toshiba also have such
> info and software online?

Dell, yes. Toshiba, some. Sony!!! Don't make me laugh!

--
Regards,

James

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

>> >"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> asked:
>> >Which laptops are the easiest to upgrade, e.g., replace a component
>> >such as a modem, hard drive or memory module?
>> >Add a hard drive or memory?

>>"John" <jeshoemaker@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
>> IMHO, IBM Thinkpad ... also important, the laptop Hardware Maintenance
>> Manuals, BIOS and Driver updates are available online....

>"Howard Kaikow" kaikow@standards.com wrote:
>Do not all the majors, e.g., Dell, Sony and Toshiba also have such info and
>software online?

If so, research how long they maintain the info and software online.

John

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
| Which laptops are the easiest to upgrade, e.g., replace a component such
as
| a modem, hard drive or memory module?
| Add a hard drive or memory?
|
| --
| http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

Most newer notebooks have the modem integrated on the mainboard. Most neweer
notebooks are very simple to exchange the RAM (at least one of two modules)
and HD on also.