Question Which Linux Distro use to create a fully customized UI OS

Jan 13, 2023
Hello everybody, i got this project in mind of creating a Vertical Totem 55" to be placed in various type of shop, it can be Barber saloon or a Dress Shop, or Also a bar.
On this Vertical Totem there Will be various Webapp, that Will have differents contents(depending on where the totem is placed). All the webapp Will be accessible by a dock launcher.
I Already made a prototype on Window but i don't like the fact that i can't personalize everything how i want it to be, especially turning on the pc, i can't modify the splash screen, i can't remove the login screen, i can't remove the start and the application bar on the downpart of the pc, even if i deactivate the updates sometimes windows reactivate them.
Basically i want to have the freedom of an open source system and i want to be able to customize everything how i want. Wich linux distro do you suggest me to use to do so?
I want remove the feeling of using a Desktop PC, Basically i would like that the User have the feeling of using a Big mobile phone while using this Vertical Totem.

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: jdkimbo13
i can't modify the splash screen
ofcourse you can, https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-h...ckbgrt-to-change-the-windows-boot-screen-logo

i can't remove the login screen
you can put there custom image and do autosign, group policy + windows registry
dont forget to disable windows hello and spotlight

i can't remove the start and the application bar on the downpart of the pc
this is handled by explorer.exe, you can disable it with group policy or windows registry

Reactions: jdkimbo13
Jan 13, 2023
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/kiosk-single-app

Which Linux distro?
What experience do you have in Linux?
Hello friend, i know the possibility of kiosk but is not what i want. With kiosk you can just use one website. I would like to create a more personalized product, giving the final user the possibility of opening various websites and app without limitation. For the other type of user (the owner of the totem) i wanna give him the possibility to create various profile, to change the setting of the wifi (for example changing the network) without having the windows UI. I want create a fully customizable semi mobile experience. I would like to not start from scratch but selecting a good stsrting point.

Jan 13, 2023
ofcourse you can, https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-h...ckbgrt-to-change-the-windows-boot-screen-logo

you can put there custom image and do autosign, group policy + windows registry
dont forget to disable windows hello and spotlight

this is handled by explorer.exe, you can disable it with group policy or windows registry
Hello bosss thank you for your response.
I have some experience doing the things you suggested to me to reach the goal of creating a semi mobile experience on a Vertical Totem using windows. But
1)hackbgrt method is something that for me is not stable and the splash screen after sometimes come back to the original one
2)even of i put autosign and a custom image there is always the feeling of turning on a windows pc(i can t customize the welcome messages, the fonts. I want to have the possibility of customizing everything exactly how i want from splash screen to login.
3)As i told to the other guy on the thread , for this product there are two type of user(the first one is the final user who interact with the vertical totem to look whatever he wants, this type of user doesn't have access to the settings. Then there is the second type of user, the owner of the vertical totem) i want to give the possibility to the 2nd type of user to customize settings, like changing the network the pc is connected to, changing the time, the date ecc ecc ecc. But i don t want to do so showing in the Windows UI. I want to have a fully fully costumized UI. For giving you an idea i would like to create something like a mobile operating system but for a Pc.
For this reason i'm looking for the better point to start.
Thank you very much, i Will wait for your feedback

Jan 13, 2023
kiosk is able to run multiple apps now or you can use lockdown mode, which runs in tablet ui
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/lock-down-windows-10-to-specific-apps
kiosk is able to run multiple apps now or you can use lockdown mode, which runs in tablet ui
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/lock-down-windows-10-to-specific-apps
I know boss already tested this possibility but for what i need to do kiosk it not suit my needing. I m looking to create a personalized Os basically. Where do you suggest me to start?

Jan 13, 2023
what about android? it runs on top of linux, its lighweight, very customizable
unless you want full desktop experience?
Wow, i Think Android would be a great choice. In reality i don't want a fully desktop experience, i want something in the beetween of a desktop and mobile experience. Android would be great i Think, but can Android run on a Pc, is compatible with the hardware? Do you have some documentation to link on where to start?