[SOLVED] Which monitor should I buy?

Oct 21, 2019
Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a new display and currently oscillating between the following 3 models with the local prices at the end

Viewsonic XG2401 - https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG2401-FreeSync-Advanced-Ergonomics/dp/B01A0ZRR50 247.5 USD
Asus VG248QE - https://www.asus.com/Monitors/VG248QE/ 253 USD
Samsung LC24FG73 curved - https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...ming-monitor-with-quantum-dot-lc24fg73fqnxza/ 327USD

For my background, I am a long time gamer but I mostly play casually (singleplayer, rpgs, simulation etc) but currently started playing a bit of Warframe, PUBG etc (Plus I have played DOTA 2 for a long time). I also watch quite a bit of movies.

I have 2 displays (for 2 separate machines) at the moment, DELL P2417H and Asus VX239H (one of these needs to go to make way for the new display) with a GTX 1070 powering each.

Can somebody help me to choose one of the three and also the monitor that I should sell out of the two I already have.

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Many thanks for your input. How do you think the Viewsonic and Samsung compare against my current displays

Dell P2417H and Asus VX239H
Honestly, the colors may be slightly worse with the newer monitors. Both of those, per specs, are IPS and are actually decent. The increased refresh rate though will be better for gaming, especially on competitive FPS games.

My thought's on monitor upgrades... Get the best one you can afford even if your hardware isn't up to par to run it on the highest settings as the monitor is typically your least upgraded part in the system. To really see a big improvement I would go with a higher resolution or consider a 21:9 panel, get something that would last for a few GPU upgrades. At 1440P the 1070...

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
I have the Asus 248 and I love it! Great colors , the response time is beautiful and clear. The adjustable stand I use alot. Dont use the speakers. But I am very happy with it. Hope this helps.

The Asus was released back in 2013 so it's a little bit dated. However it's tride and true, as I have one. The only problem i've had with it was sometimes upon initial system boot there would be no video. It's easily resolved by unplugging the power cord, pushing the power button off and on to clear it then plug the power cord back in to turn it on. My recommendation would be to go with the Viewsonic as the Samsung's low ms response time is not measured in GTG. The viewsonic has 1ms gtg response time and has newer adaptive sync technologies like freesync.

Reactions: WildCard999

WildCard999

Titan
I had the VG248QE and it was a good monitor at the time but now for the price there are better monitors out there.

This one is excellent for the price and Freesync should work with the 1070 as long as your using the newest drivers & a Displayport cable.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $144.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-21 10:27 EDT-0400

Here's how to setup Freesync with Nvidia.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

If the above monitor isn't available in your area or out of the budget then if you could give us a location and budget we may be able to find something better then those 3.

Oct 21, 2019
I had the VG248QE and it was a good monitor at the time but now for the price there are better monitors out there.

This one is excellent for the price and Freesync should work with the 1070 as long as your using the newest drivers & a Displayport cable.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $144.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-21 10:27 EDT-0400

Here's how to setup Freesync with Nvidia.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-run-gsync-on-freesync-monitor,6072.html

If the above monitor isn't available in your area or out of the budget then if you could give us a location and budget we may be able to find something better then those 3.

Thanks for the recommendation. I am from Sri Lanka. It's kind of difficult to import items through Amazon particularly if they are big as a display (there will be a hefty tax). So best is to buy locally. How good is this AOC compared to the Viewsonic?

Oct 21, 2019
The Samsung is pretty nice, what is the price difference between the two?

The larger curved screen on the Samsung could be better for more immersive gaming however some people don't like 1080P at 27"+ for websites as the text could appear, depending on the person, fuzzy.
The Samsung is pretty nice, what is the price difference between the two?

The larger curved screen on the Samsung could be better for more immersive gaming however some people don't like 1080P at 27"+ for websites as the text could appear, depending on the person, fuzzy.

My mistake. I added the 27" variant. I was actually looking at the 24" https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...ming-monitor-with-quantum-dot-lc24fg73fqnxza/

Fixed the OP. The price difference is 327 USD for Samsung vs 247USD for Viewsonic.

WildCard999

Titan
VA will have better colors but may have some ghosting, this is more of a personal choice. If your finding yourself playing less competitive titles then the Samsung may be the better choice but for highly competitive gaming (& to save money) the TN may be the way to go.

If it were me and if it was in the budget I'd go 1440P/75hz/VA or IPS with Freesync.

Oct 21, 2019
VA will have better colors but may have some ghosting, this is more of a personal choice. If your finding yourself playing less competitive titles then the Samsung may be the better choice but for highly competitive gaming (& to save money) the TN may be the way to go.

If it were me and if it was in the budget I'd go 1440P/75hz/VA or IPS with Freesync.

Many thanks for your input. How do you think the Viewsonic and Samsung compare against my current displays

WildCard999

Titan

Honestly, the colors may be slightly worse with the newer monitors. Both of those, per specs, are IPS and are actually decent. The increased refresh rate though will be better for gaming, especially on competitive FPS games.

My thought's on monitor upgrades... Get the best one you can afford even if your hardware isn't up to par to run it on the highest settings as the monitor is typically your least upgraded part in the system. To really see a big improvement I would go with a higher resolution or consider a 21:9 panel, get something that would last for a few GPU upgrades. At 1440P the 1070 handles most games well.

Solution
Oct 21, 2019

My thought's on monitor upgrades... Get the best one you can afford even if your hardware isn't up to par to run it on the highest settings as the monitor is typically your least upgraded part in the system. To really see a big improvement I would go with a higher resolution or consider a 21:9 panel, get something that would last for a few GPU upgrades. At 1440P the 1070 handles most games well.

Thanks a lot. I checked the AOC but could not find any seller locally. I might go with the Samsung since I haven't ever used a curved screen before (or a 144Hz display for that matter). One thing that bugs me with my Dell is that it never produces blacks very well. Maybe the Samsung is better in that regard.

WildCard999

Titan
Thanks a lot. I checked the AOC but could not find any seller locally. I might go with the Samsung since I haven't ever used a curved screen before (or a 144Hz display for that matter). One thing that bugs me with my Dell is that it never produces blacks very well. Maybe the Samsung is better in that regard.
The VA (Samsung) panel should be fine with blacks. While IPS does better bright colors blacks don't come out so well and then there's always IPS glow.