G

I am about to get a new processor/mobo, I have settled on a 1GHz Athlon. However, I am not sure which Mobo I should go for. I am considering Asus A7V ($425 w/CPU)or the FIC AZ11 ($390 w/CPU). The FIC has integrated sound, but I already have an xgamer 5.1 and I want to use it. The ASUS supports ATA 100, I have a Maxtor 60GB which is ATA 100. What do ya'll think? Any experience with these boards? Thanks in advance

G

I would suggest waiting for a bit to choose one. I have seen MANY posts reporting problems with the Abit mobo, but if it turns out these are false, then the Abit would DEFINATELY be my choice.

Fa<font color=blue>rNa</font color=blue><font color=yellow>m</font color=yellow> The <font color=green>Dr</font color=green><font color=yellow>Unka</font color=yellow><font color=red>RD</font color=red>

G

Even then I would hold off a bit though. We are RIGHT at the verge of DDR and TBIRD266 being released, and I would wait for these. It would be a shame to buy the system now, and in 1 month have it smoked by hardware with almost the exact same price.

Fa<font color=blue>rNa</font color=blue><font color=yellow>m</font color=yellow> The <font color=green>Dr</font color=green><font color=yellow>Unka</font color=yellow><font color=red>RD</font color=red>

G

I would go for a ABIT RAID or ASUS or MSI K7T PR02-A with the new 686B southbridge. MSI is the cheapest of the three however I think it's just as good. Or you can wait for the new solutions with 760 DDR chipset.

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
An abit kt7 and a simple duron 700 can cost under 200 bucks, which can more than tide a person over until DDR chipsets mature a little bit.

G

Thats about the best advice for the pinnacle transition time that it is right now. I am doing exactly that, hope its worth the wait.

G

I don't like Abit.
I would prefer MSI in any case, just because they offer same performance as ASUS, at a cheaper cost.

Go for K7 Pro 2

G

Did the Asus A7V with win98se, 16XDVD Acer and 4X8X32 Phillips CDRW, IBM ATA100 HD, Duron 650.
Not one major problem. Did have to play with PCI slot swapping to get the SC (SB value) and NIC to work. Got HD on ATA100 slot, CDRW/DVD on ATA66 slot. Also, had to download ATA100 drivers.

G

Hey Loki740 you've already answered your question.
You MUST but the ASUS (not only because it's the best!)
but because it supports ATA 100. I've got a 20GB ATA 100
Maxtor (on a CUSL2 and an O/Ced 733 running at a conservative 797Mhz) It rips through everything! (We're talkin' anywhere from 30 to 41 REAL MB/s a second!)

G

Stifferd, I hear you on that. But in honesty, ATA 66 should be capable of the same transfer rates (30 to 41). I just want to pick up the best Mobo for the money. Thanks for the input, though

G

I would either go for the Asus, or hold off for one of the DDR boards coming soon.

Coffee sux

G

Could you tell me where I might buy one of these puppies? There are none listed on Pricewatch and I haven't found them anywhere else either.