Which network printer?

My Epson C40+ has finally given up the ghost(flashing red and green
lights, 'maintenance required'), so I want to replace it with a printer
that I can connect to the spare output on my network hub. It is for home
use only (letters, maps, occasional photos etc.) and it would be nice
if the kids could print directly to it via the network rather than have
to switch on my computer first.

The manufacturers' websites weren't much help, so I'll ask the experts.
Are there any readily available network printers out there?

Having had Epsons, I would prefer to steer clear of another one because
of the chipped cartridges and the difficulty of cleaning a clogged
non-disposable print head. However, I would not rule one out if the
consensus of opinion in that the Epson xyz is by far the best.

Thanks,
DD

"Stratman" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> My Epson C40+ has finally given up the ghost(flashing red and green lights,
> 'maintenance required'), so I want to replace it with a printer that I can
> connect to the spare output on my network hub. It is for home use only
> (letters, maps, occasional photos etc.) and it would be nice if the kids
> could print directly to it via the network rather than have to switch on my
> computer first.

The DeskJet 6840 has built-in networking and is a solid, fast, high quality
printer. It does presentable photo's with the standard cartridge, and
excellent photo's with the optional photo cartridge. See:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-385457.html
for details.

The previous model, the DeskJet 5850 may also be available.

You might also consider an all-in-one unit like the PSC 2510 or later PSC 2710.
This provides scan, copying, fax and photo printing in addition to printing.
See
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-385457.html
and
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-236251-236261-14438-f51-385457.html