Which Nvidia chipsets again?

4745454b

Titan
I'm looking at buying a dual core setup to replace my current single core 3500+. I was thinking about getting a P35/P45, but I'm not so sure now. I tried to stay with team red, but I ending up buying an 8800GS/9600GSO. I am now considering Nvidia chipsets for my motherboard, but I can't remember which ones have the overclocking problem. I doubt I will overclock, but I'd like to get a motherboard that won't corrupt my harddrives if I chose to. Is it just the 680i series? All of the 6xx series? Was it fixed with the 7xx series? Is the 750i series the only one that doesn't have problems? I've done some light digging, but haven't come up with anything firm. If anyone knows, can you please fill me in/provide links?

And a side question. I noticed while I was grabbing drivers last night that the 8 and 9 series from Nvidia support PhysX. Any chance that in the future I'll be able to use this card for PhysX, and a different card for video? I'm thinking this might work on a CF board seeing as they won't be "SLI linked"? Has anyone ran such a setup on a CF board yet?

nVidia chipsets in general aren't as great for OC on Intel Quad cores especially. The 680i (which I have) is especially fickle. Unless you definitely want to run SLI, there's no point in getting the nVidia motherboards.

Overall, the Intel based chips are the better way to go.

As far as PhysX goes, I think that's an nVidia thing. Don't know that you can do PhysX with ATI cards yet if at all...?

4745454b

Titan
Yes you can run PhysX on AMD cards, but I know nearly nothing about it, nor did I say I was going to. The 8800GS/9600GSO is an Nvidia card, Not AMD. I also know Nvidia chipsets aren't as good for overclocking as the P35/45. What I want to know is which ones will bork your harddrive if you try to overclock.