Which of dlink, netgear, linksys or others have the best r..

Hi folks,

I'm looking to get a router or AP (to be used as an AP for now) that
has AES WPA-PSK with decent range and performance.

I had set myself to get a linksys (WRT54G) but it seems to have not
such a good reputation for range. Is that right, and what does have a
good rep for range? I'm slightly wary of going for a belkin so I
suppose that its either going to be a netgear or a dlink.

Would be grateful for any comments.

Thanks,

Greg

--

Great freeware tools http://www.lorriman.com

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:49:09 -0000, "Greg Lorriman"
<temp@nonsenseToRemovelorriman.com> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I'm looking to get a router or AP (to be used as an AP for now) that
>has AES WPA-PSK with decent range and performance.
>
>I had set myself to get a linksys (WRT54G) but it seems to have not
>such a good reputation for range. Is that right, and what does have a
>good rep for range? I'm slightly wary of going for a belkin so I
>suppose that its either going to be a netgear or a dlink.
>
>Would be grateful for any comments.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Greg

Without hesitation, I recommend the D-Link DWL-2100AP. Not only does
it have great range, it can be configured 5 different ways.
Furthermore, it uses WEP (open and shared), WPA (radius) and WPA-PSK
(both AES and TKIP). Do your research on it and see if it suits your
needs. Take care.

Greg Lorriman wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking to get a router or AP (to be used as an AP for now) that
> has AES WPA-PSK with decent range and performance.
>
> I had set myself to get a linksys (WRT54G) but it seems to have not
> such a good reputation for range. Is that right, and what does have a
> good rep for range? I'm slightly wary of going for a belkin so I
> suppose that its either going to be a netgear or a dlink.
>
> Would be grateful for any comments.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

Heres an option for you (that I have used many times with that exact device,
and will absolutely give you more power than anyone else's wap) (pasted from
a post I had somewhere else..)

>> Update Linksys AP to 251 mw instead of 28 mw
>> It looks like the "hackable" models are the WRT54G and WAP54G, and the
>> best firmware upgrade isn't free, but cheap, from SveaSoft-
>> http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php Stock power is 28mw, the
>> Svea firmware will let you boost that up to 251mw.

DLink OK, Linksys not bad, AVOID Netgear -too many issues, NO support.
Regards,
Martin

Peter Pan:
> Svea firmware will let you boost that up to 251mw.

Which is illegal (max 200mW in US, 100mW in Europe) and won't do you any
good unless the receiving end can match it !
Regards,
Martin