Question Which of my components is causing my PC to NOT boot?

Jul 8, 2024
Hi greetings!

This is my first time in the forum, posting my 1st ever thread. I really need guidance from all of you as I have a new PC that I built near the end of 2021 and it just stopped working 1 day after 6 months of usage. I built it around Sept of 2021. The last I had it working fine was at the end of Mar 2022.

I have since replaced the motherboard as well as the PSU to new ones, It just powered ON for a few seconds & then died out just like before. Nothing seems to work. I bought another new motherboard and this replaced the GPU as well. Same thing happened. I am just at my wits ends as to what I should do next. This is the 3rd motherboard that I bought. When I checked the PSU using the paper clip method I find that the fan does spin showing that the PSU is OK. But my build didn't turn ON at all. Which of the components is giving me this problem and what I should do? I brought it to the local repair shop but they don't know how to solve it either. Please help me guys! Thank you all so much.

The original build Specs as below;
MoboMSI B450M MORTAR MAX
CPURyzen 5 2600
RamKINGSTON FURY X RGB 8GBx2 16GB 3200Mhz
HDDSeagate 1TB BarraCuda 3.5 SATA 64MB 7200RPM Internal Hard Disk / Hard Drive (ST1000DM010)
nVMeTranscend NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 MTE110S M.2 SSD (128GB/256GB/512GB/1TB)
PSUCooler Master MWE 550 Bronze V2 PSU, 230V, 80 Plus Bronze, 88% Efficiency, DC-to-DC + LLC, EP
CaseCOOLER MASTER MASTERBOX Q300L (MCB-Q300L-KANN-S00)
CPU CoolerThermaltake UX100
GPUAsus GT710-4H-SL-2GD5 2GB GDDR5 Graphic Card (Support 4 Monitors)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When I checked the PSU using the paper clip method I find that the fan does spin showing that the PSU is OK.
The paperclip test is flawed, it merely shows you it can output power. What it doesn't tell you is how much power it can effectively output.

MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
Your motherboard has a Flash BIOS button on the back of your motherboard, refer to page 40 on your motherboard manual;
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B89v1.1.pdf
and see if you can flash the BIOS without the CPU, ram and discrete GPU in there.