[SOLVED] Which of these are reliable/good PSU?

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
So im thinking of building this pc:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vrJGTC

i've been told and i've seen online that my corsair (orange )VS 550W is not reliable (funny thing it has 80+rating on the box and i bought it like 5 yrs ago)so im loooking for a new psu and if someone could tell me between these is there anything good

-and how many watts do i even need?

note: mobo could be something low as listed or Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (which was suggested and i basically should go for it) and m.2 doesnt need to be exact i could take something similar

https://prnt.sc/t6ul57

https://prnt.sc/t6ulgl

Solution
damn what u mean cheap out i'm not gonna have PSU cost more than MBO like whut. If these are straight garbage how can they be sold, people will buy them, aren't most here respectable companies?? Are PSUs a literal hazard if they aren't the top ones recommended by everyone?

i Honestly want to know is is dangeours for your pc to use any of these, they just need to work and not break the PC.
p.s and its not that cheap 1/3 of CPU price and 1/4 of gpu price -.-, and i bet alot of people use "cheaper" psu's and have no problems

That's normal. Why is it to be expected that the PSU should be cheaper than the motherboard? You might use your motherboard for three to five years before you have to swap it out for a next generation...
(funny thing it has 80+rating on the box and i bought it like 5 yrs ago)

80 PLUS doesn't mean "quality" or "capable". It only means it's at least 80% efficient.

Pretty much all of those PSUs are absolute garbage except for the last two (the ones that cost 499 kn). I wouldn't use them, but they're the "least offensive" of the bunch.

It saddens me that people will buy a whole bunch of nice hardware like a 3rd gen Ryzen and GTX 1660 and want to cheap out on the PSU. :(

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
80 PLUS doesn't mean "quality" or "capable". It only means it's at least 80% efficient.

Pretty much all of those PSUs are absolute garbage except for the last two (the ones that cost 499 kn). I wouldn't use them, but they're the "least offensive" of the bunch.

It saddens me that people will buy a whole bunch of nice hardware like a 3rd gen Ryzen and GTX 1660 and want to cheap out on the PSU. :(
damn what u mean cheap out i'm not gonna have PSU cost more than MBO like whut. If these are straight garbage how can they be sold, people will buy them, aren't most here respectable companies?? Are PSUs a literal hazard if they aren't the top ones recommended by everyone?

i Honestly want to know is is dangeours for your pc to use any of these, they just need to work and not break the PC.
p.s and its not that cheap 1/3 of CPU price and 1/4 of gpu price -.-, and i bet alot of people use "cheaper" psu's and have no problems

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
i looked around more and ill just get some 80+ gold well known brand(for ex. Cooler Master MWE Gold or Corsair TX-M Series), its a lil more expensive but i guess the whole PC depends on it

That's normal. Why is it to be expected that the PSU should be cheaper than the motherboard? You might use your motherboard for three to five years before you have to swap it out for a next generation motherboard while most people will try to get 10 to 15 out of a PSU.

What do you think a PSU is made of? Just a box of capacitors?

A cheap PSU can:

1. Cause a fire.
  2. Shock you.
  3. Kill your componenets slowly.
  4. Kill your components quickly.
  5. Cause random reboots.
  6. Cause random shut downs.
  7. Are inefficient and use too much power
  8. Generate a lot of heat.
  9. Can be loud as all get out.
  10. Die at a relatively young age.
  11. Cause a fire.

How/why these get sold, I have no idea. Good lawyers? Shell games?

Fortunately, a lot of countries have adopted or are adopting safety requirements that will prevent the importation of such fire hazards into the country. Sadly, countries in South East Asia, most of South America and all of Africa other than South Africa refuse to adopt any of these safety requirements.

Take a chance if you want. Your money.

Solution

konjgl

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2014
That's normal. Why is it to be expected that the PSU should be cheaper than the motherboard? You might use your motherboard for three to five years before you have to swap it out for a next generation motherboard while most people will try to get 10 to 15 out of a PSU.

What do you think a PSU is made of? Just a box of capacitors?

A cheap PSU can:

1. Cause a fire.
  2. Shock you.
  3. Kill your componenets slowly.
  4. Kill your components quickly.
  5. Cause random reboots.
  6. Cause random shut downs.
  7. Are inefficient and use too much power
  8. Generate a lot of heat.
  9. Can be loud as all get out.
  10. Die at a relatively young age.
  11. Cause a fire.
How/why these get sold, I have no idea. Good lawyers? Shell games?

Fortunately, a lot of countries have adopted or are adopting safety requirements that will prevent the importation of such fire hazards into the country. Sadly, countries in South East Asia, most of South America and all of Africa other than South Africa refuse to adopt any of these safety requirements.

Take a chance if you want. Your money.
thats a lot of "can", from my perspective if that doesnt happen in 10% of cases its not worthy of mention. Some of what i suggested are still new PSUs from good brands and not that cheap tbh
i freakin have a orange vs550 from corsair that is said to be sooo bad coz old tech but im ok with 5+yrs (and multiple outages)
I will get better as i said above but i am CERTAIN that tech people are a lil bit sensitive/overreacting when it comes to PSUs