Which of these Velocity Micro Systems will have the best performance?

jlaavenger

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Which of these Velocity Micro Systems will have the best performance?

http://www.frys.com/product/5948704?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Detailed Description

* 100% Aluminum chassis Velocity Micro's flagship, 100% aluminum LX case provides a stylish, industrial look that fits perfectly with any decor. This tower provides plenty of room for expansion down the road while a clear side panel provides a uniquely boutique look.
* Processing Power The Gx550 is powered by an Intel® Core™ i7-975 with four 3.33GHz processing cores and 8MB of shared L3 cache. You'll multitask applications faster and unleash incredible digital media creation. And you'll experience maximum performance for everything you do, thanks to the combination of Intel® Turbo Boost technology and Intel® Hyper-Threading technology (Intel® HT technology), which maximizes performance to match your workload.
* Premium NVIDIA® Graphics The bleeding edge NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX275 provides a remarkably immersive gaming experience, meaning you can play your games the way they were meant to be played at even the highest resolutions.
* Massive Storage The Gx550 features a 1TB hard drive, providing massive amounts of space for storing your digital photos, videos, or game installs. A quick 7,200 SATA connection means accessing that data happens faster too.
* Meticulous Craftsmanship The Gx550 is hand built by Velocity Micro's team of expert engineers. Every screw is turned by hand and each cable is clipped and tucked away with care to ensure optimal airflow, thermal, and acoustical properties, meaning you get a PC with jaw dropping power.
* Warranty The Gx550 comes with a 1 year limited parts and labor warranty along with expert, 100% US based phone support. It's like having your own personal geek, right at your disposal.

Specifications

* Intel® Core™ i7-975 processor
* 12GB DDR3 RAM
* 896MB Nvidia GTX275, Overclocked
* 1TB 7200rpm hard drive
* Dual 20x DVD burners w/lightscribe
* Velocity Ultimate gaming keyboard
* Velocity laser mouse
* Vista Premium 64-bit
* Velocity Micro T-shirt, size XL

or

http://www.frys.com/product/5833593?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

* Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack1
* Get excellent performance with 6144MB DDR3 system memory
* 1TB SATA2 hard drive. Save up to 50,000 of your favorite songs
* BluRay DVD optical drive for smooth BluRay playback
* 2 x ATI
® Radeon™ 4850 HD 512MB each, Overclocked

Operating System

* Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit with Service pack1

Processor

* Intel
® Core i7 940, Quad Core Processor - 2.93GHz Overclocked

Memory

* 6GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM memory (3x2GB)

Media Reader

* 6-in-1 Media Reader bay

Hard Drive

* 1TB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

Optical Drive

* 20X DVD Burner with Lightscribe Technology
* BluRay DVD Player

Video Graphics

* 2 x ATI Radeon
™ 4850 HD with 512MB each. Overclocked

Network Interface

* Integrated 10/100/1000 BaseT network interface

Sound

* High Definition Audio, 5.1 speaker configurable

Fax/Modem

* 56k modem

Power Supply

* Velocity 850w ATX

Mouse and Keyboard

* Velocity keyboard - gloss black
* Velocity mouse - Optical, 800dpi

One has a slower processor and less memory but it does have dual video cards in cross fire. I don't overclock so the idea that I could doesn't excite me. But will I notice a bigger gain from Cross Fire or the faster CPU and more memory?

laluma22

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
i dont know what to say all of them will get a quite good performance but i think that you will be better on the second with ati crossfire this option is quite good in benchmark better than gtx 275 and the processor you can easily overclock so that it is faster than the 975 you can also get with i7 920 better performance than 975 but you do not need cause the o game really does not need these kind of extreme pcs just if you want to watch 2 blu rays full hd on 42" and play abou 3-6 games at once

i have i7 920 not oc and i run 2 blu rays and 2 games at once just for test and it was with only 3gb of ram at 2,21GB and at42% lload on cpu and that with 2 9800GX2 KO evga on windows 7 professional so tkae wather ever you want but i would take the ati crossfire 6gb are enaugh for now NO PROGRAMM WILL USE IT 5 maybe but not 6 (game definitly not )^^

hope i could help
greets laluma22

jlaavenger

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Gaming, streaming movies and using PhotoShop. I had an old Pentium 4, 3.2E and I always said if I ever upgraded I'd buy a 3.2 or higher processor. I like running multiple apps at once. I was just wondering if Cross Fire would trump a faster processor and twice the memory in way of performance and boot or load times.

It sounds like you use graphics power more than CPU. They both have a quad i7, so you'll have no problem multitasking. The better graphics will be more beneficial than the faster CPU.

You could add a 2nd gtx 275 to the 1st system and have the best of both worlds.

Are the 2 systems priced the same?

laluma22

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
yeah thatt interests me too but he ffor him it would be maybe the best to make a homebuild system i can post a quite good one with few options and to wait for the dx11 graphic cards than he wwould have the best performance for gaming^^
greets

laluma22

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
so than you have another options you buy all things like you want homebuild system^^ but then you go to a pc shop and pay about 60€ so they put your parts together and instal windows on it it is still cheaper and better performance ^^

greets laluma22

rockyjohn

Distinguished
I think you are asking the wrong question. Is money no object? Have you read many reviews about performance?

You will get very little increase in performance on games using any i7 CPU faster than the 920. Are you willing to pay substantially more money for a tiny increase in performance? I would encourage you to also consider the new i7 860 as an alternative - if Velocity Micro offers one.

Like, more few applications - including multitasking - show much improvement in performance with over 4 GB of memory let alone 12. Since you would have triple channel - why go with more than 6 GB? You can keep 3 slots open and still add more later if really needed - and when memory prices are substantially lower.

What games do you really want to play, at what resolution, with what candy? Again are you willing to pay substantially more for tiny improvements?

I would suggest going with a mobo with at least 2 PCIe x16 slots and then getting a single card now like the GTX 275 - not because it will be better than the twin 4850s - but because it lkeeps your options open and ets you add another card later when games become more demanding -and they will - or when you do. But you could do that with either of your options.

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I agree with Rockyjohn 12 GIGS of RAM= overkill in my books , I had 4 gigs but I recently made a spare pc and now each has 2 gigs, and you know what , I dont think it has made any real difference. I use photoshop a lot, and unless you have loads of images open 2 gigs is fine