Which one is worth buying? Asus ROG Strix G17 (2022) vs MSI GP 76 (2022)

Jul 20, 2022
Hi folks!
Which one is worth buying? Asus ROG Strix G17 (2022) vs MSI GP76 Leopard (2022)

ASUS ROG STRIX G17
R9 6900HX/RTX3070Ti-8gb/32g/150W/240HZ/17.3
17.3”16:9WQHD (2560 x 1440)
Refresh Rate:240Hz
1TB PCIe® 4.0 NVMe™ M.2 SSD

MSI GP76 Leopard
i7-11800H/RTX3080-8gb/32g/2.5K/240HZ/17.3
17.3"16:9 QHD (2560*1440)
Refresh rate:240 Hz DCI-P3 100% IPS-Level
1TB SSD
PCI-E4.0×4

TMHO they’re quite same. MSI is just a little more pricy.
I can see the difference between GPU, but what troubles me the most are screen quality, cooling system (which one is better Arc Flow Intelligence cooling or MSI Cooler Boost 5) and overall build quality.
What would you recommend?

I'd probably get the ASUS. Not as much heat to dissipate. That MSI has got to be a little furnace.

Although not the exact same configs. Looking at reviews of the ROG Strix G17 (2022) and MSI GP76 Leopard. The cooling system in the ASUS was able to keep an AMD CPU under full load and all cores @3.77Ghz and the MSI could only sustain an Intel CPU @3Ghz for extended runs. So, while the MSI is faster on paper. I expect in extended gaming on taxing games. The ASUS will provide more consistent framerates and won't get throttled as bad.

https://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-rog-strix-g17-g713r-2022/#temperatures-and-comfort

Just bear in mind. The MSI review is with an Intel 10th gen CPU. While the one you are looking at is 11th gen. So, it can likely sustain higher clockrates. Due to the better overall thermals of the 10nm process over the 14nm.

Jul 20, 2022
I'd probably get the ASUS. Not as much heat to dissipate. That MSI has got to be a little furnace.

Although not the exact same configs. Looking at reviews of the ROG Strix G17 (2022) and MSI GP76 Leopard. The cooling system in the ASUS was able to keep an AMD CPU under full load and all cores @3.77Ghz and the MSI could only sustain an Intel CPU @3Ghz for extended runs. So, while the MSI is faster on paper. I expect in extended gaming on taxing games. The ASUS will provide more consistent framerates and won't get throttled as bad.

https://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-rog-strix-g17-g713r-2022/#temperatures-and-comfort

Just bear in mind. The MSI review is with an Intel 10th gen CPU. While the one you are looking at is 11th gen. So, it can likely sustain higher clockrates. Due to the better overall thermals of the 10nm process over the 14nm.
Thank you for your opinion! It’s really hard to find recent models with upgraded specs on the internet. Most of them outdated ones 2021 year.
As for Asus yes, it happens to be better with cooling CPU but on some benchmarks I’ve found that it’s doing worse on cooling GPU.
The difference between 3070ti and 3080 also was noticeable with range of 15-20 fps for some games. Is 3070ti pairing with R9 6900 isn’t that great?
I haven’t noticed that STRIX comes with DDR5, MSI with DDR4.
But MSI seems to be heavier, in my opinion it’s better. I’m not planning to carry the laptop anywhere out of my apartment.
And what’s your thoughts on other brands or models? My budget is around 2000$ so both of them fit in country where I’m now. Alienware within this budget is way pricy. Also I’ve heard about Lenovo Legion and Acer models, but they don’t seem to be gaming industry top contenders.
Again, thank you for spending sometime trying helping me out🤝

Jul 20, 2022

Sorry, forgot to mention another details about power supply. MSI is 280w and Strix is 240w how important is it?

Thank you for your opinion! It’s really hard to find recent models with upgraded specs on the internet. Most of them outdated ones 2021 year.
As for Asus yes, it happens to be better with cooling CPU but on some benchmarks I’ve found that it’s doing worse on cooling GPU.
The difference between 3070ti and 3080 also was noticeable with range of 15-20 fps for some games. Is 3070ti pairing with R9 6900 isn’t that great?
I haven’t noticed that STRIX comes with DDR5, MSI with DDR4.
But MSI seems to be heavier, in my opinion it’s better. I’m not planning to carry the laptop anywhere out of my apartment.
And what’s your thoughts on other brands or models? My budget is around 2000$ so both of them fit in country where I’m now. Alienware within this budget is way pricy. Also I’ve heard about Lenovo Legion and Acer models, but they don’t seem to be gaming industry top contenders.
Again, thank you for spending sometime trying helping me out🤝

I couldn't say which offers better GPU cooling. If you look at the articles. The ASUS looks to have a more even distribution of heatpipes to the CPU, GPU and Fans. While the MSI is putting more load on one fan and heavily favoring the CPU or GPU with heatpipes. I'm not sure if the bigger heat spreaders are for the CPU or GPU.

I tend to associate Acer with low quality and Lenovo with business laptops. Neither sounds great for gaming.

I favor the ASUS. As I think the CPU and GPU are better balanced. I think the MSI will have more heat issues. If your concern is max detail and resolution settings. The MSI will probably get higher FPS. But if you start dropping the detail for max FPS (more CPU utilization). The ASUS will probably do better.

Generally, I prefer ASUS products over MSI. ASUS makes really good motherboards. I've also had an MSI gaming laptop die on me. Due to the VRAM failing after two years.

TRENDING THREADS