Which one to use, Promise Raid or Intel Raid?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which
controller would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice
on the relative performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

While this may well have limited or no application to mobo IDE controllers,
I'll respond based on my experience with Promise controller cards:
avoid Promise. In your situation I'd try the Intel RAID first.

If you want a good RAID card from a serious company, try 3ware.

TomC

"TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote in message
> While this may well have limited or no application to mobo IDE
controllers,
> I'll respond based on my experience with Promise controller cards:
> avoid Promise. In your situation I'd try the Intel RAID first.

Promise does very good RAID.

> If you want a good RAID card from a serious company, try 3ware.

Tops but very expensive.

> "John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
> > I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
> > controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which
> > controller would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice
> > on the relative performances of each along with advantages or
> disadvantages?

Tim

Use the Intel & get the latest BIOS, latest drivers.

There is an update for the drivers & IAA on the intel download site that has
support for XP, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003 and the new ICH6R as well.

See:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV%2CARC%2CUTL&ProductID=1049&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&submit=Go%21

- Tim

"John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
>I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
>controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which controller
>would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice on the relative
>performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?

"John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
>I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
>controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which controller
>would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice on the relative
>performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?

Either one will work the same,however using the Intel will let you use the
smaller SATA cables. Performance will be the same unless you use Raptor 10,000
rpm drives. DOUG

MikeSp

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

I wonder if the actual performance will be the same since the Intel
controller is part of the South Bridge and the Promise controller is
PCI-based--BUT, the performance difference, if any, might be minimal. I
chose to use the Intel controller and disable the Promise controller which
still allows me two SATA Raptors, two optical IDE drives and a backup IDE
HDD. Although I was using RAID 0, a thread on this ng convinced me to look
to RAID 1 since the gains by RAID 0 in my circimstance would be negligible.
BUT, in dumping Norton (YEA!) I have found that the FAQs regarding PC-Cillin
indicate it will not run on a RAID system...so am looking at other
alternative AV's before I go back to RAID. Good luck to you

MikeSp

"Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message

> "John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
> >I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
> >controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which controller
> >would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice on the
relative
> >performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?
>

> Either one will work the same,however using the Intel will let you use
the
> smaller SATA cables. Performance will be the same unless you use Raptor
10,000
> rpm drives. DOUG

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Courseyauto wrote:
> "John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
>>controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which controller
>>would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice on the relative
>>performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?
>

> Either one will work the same,however using the Intel will let you use the
> smaller SATA cables. Performance will be the same unless you use Raptor 10,000
> rpm drives. DOUG

The promise on this board also have 2 SATA conrollers.

Courseyauto wrote:
> "John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
>>controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which controller
>>would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice on the relative
>>performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?
>

> Either one will work the same,however using the Intel will let you use the
> smaller SATA cables. Performance will be the same unless you use Raptor
10,000
> rpm drives. DOUG

<The promise on this board also have 2 SATA conrollers.

2 promise SATA controlers or 2 sata controllers,INTEL and promise.
Is one of them a promise ata controller, it looks like there are two ATA
ports for ATA drives. I'm pretty sure the Sata controllers will do raid or non
raid.

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Ron;

Maybe Promise does good motherboard RAID, but I have had to throw out enough
of their IDE cards for various reasons over the years that I don't trust the
company.

In addition to their expensive cards, 3ware makes a low-end IDE RAID card,
the Escalade 8006-2LP. It is available on NewEgg for $139. My
previous-version Escalade was easy to install, very Linux-friendly, has good
documentation and software tools, and has been perfectly reliable.

I have been waiting for an opportunity to complain about another RAID card
manufacturer, HighPoint, though I know that this is a bit off the original
topic.

I tried a HighPoint RocketRaid 133 card before the Escalade, a nightmare
experience. Installation under Red Hat 9 was convoluted and time consuming,
but I finally got it to function, and to pass its own diagnostics. Due to
the miserable documentation, I still don't know if the card works under any
but the original RH9 kernel. I eventually noticed that >1 MB files copied
from the mirrored server were being corrupted, with no error messages
warning of the corruption. When I tried to find a driver update, I found
that HighPoint had simply withdrawn the version of Linux driver that I had
installed (the latest driver), without posting any explanation or a newer
driver. I don't know if the driver caused the problem, or the hardware, or
what. I had to verify the integrity of about 17,000 client files from
backups, and in some cases by manually examining individual files. The card
made a nice sound going into the trash. I know, I know, I got what I paid
for.

TomC

> Ron;
>
> Maybe Promise does good motherboard RAID,

And good PCI card RAID for quite a number of years now.

>but I have had to throw out enough
> of their IDE cards for various reasons over the years that I don't trust
the
> company.

Not ME! Ever since the Ultra33 and original FastTrak they've been quite
good.

> In addition to their expensive cards, 3ware makes a low-end IDE RAID card,
> the Escalade 8006-2LP. It is available on NewEgg for $139.

That's double the price of others.

> My
> previous-version Escalade was easy to install, very Linux-friendly, has
good
> documentation and software tools, and has been perfectly reliable.
>
> I have been waiting for an opportunity to complain about another RAID card
> manufacturer, HighPoint, though I know that this is a bit off the original
> topic.

I have never been high on HighPoint.

SIIG with their recent SilImage ATA & ATA RAID cards are good.

> I tried a HighPoint RocketRaid 133 card before the Escalade, a nightmare
> experience. Installation under Red Hat 9

Did you just describe the Linus universe which I AVOID<g>?

> was convoluted and time consuming,
> but I finally got it to function, and to pass its own diagnostics. Due to
> the miserable documentation, I still don't know if the card works under
any
> but the original RH9 kernel. I eventually noticed that >1 MB files copied
> from the mirrored server were being corrupted, with no error messages
> warning of the corruption. When I tried to find a driver update, I found
> that HighPoint had simply withdrawn the version of Linux driver that I had
> installed (the latest driver), without posting any explanation or a newer
> driver. I don't know if the driver caused the problem, or the hardware, or
> what. I had to verify the integrity of about 17,000 client files from
> backups, and in some cases by manually examining individual files. The
card
> made a nice sound going into the trash. I know, I know, I got what I paid
> for.
>
> TomC
>
> "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote in message
> > > While this may well have limited or no application to mobo IDE
> > controllers,
> > > I'll respond based on my experience with Promise controller cards:
> > > avoid Promise. In your situation I'd try the Intel RAID first.
> >
> > Promise does very good RAID.
> >
> > > If you want a good RAID card from a serious company, try 3ware.
> >
> > Tops but very expensive.
> >
> > > "John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
> > > disadvantages?

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

> Did you just describe the Linus universe which I AVOID<g>?

There are excellent reasons to avoid Linux, but it has been slowly growing
on me, sort of like a fungus.

TomC

> > Did you just describe the Linus universe which I AVOID<g>?
>
> There are excellent reasons to avoid Linux, but it has been slowly growing
> on me, sort of like a fungus.

"growing"...reasons to avoid or Linus?

Get a better fungicide<G>. I use the BillG brand and it seems to have kept
me free from infection so far.

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

No, I like a challenge, and to us latecomers Linux is a serious challenge. I
like the way it works even when it is broken. I like looking at the source
code, though my coding days are mostly over. I like the moderated Linux
newsgroups -- terminal nerd central, no scams/porn/distractions. What I've
paid Bill for Microsoft products has been money very well spent (well, maybe
not for DOS 4.0 or Windows 3.0), but it's fun that he has a serious
challenge from people who enjoy this stuff even more than he does.

Courseyauto wrote:
> Courseyauto wrote:
>
>>"John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
>>>controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which controller
>>>would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice on the relative
>>>performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?
>>

>> Either one will work the same,however using the Intel will let you use the
>>smaller SATA cables. Performance will be the same unless you use Raptor
>
> 10,000
>
>>rpm drives. DOUG
>

> <The promise on this board also have 2 SATA conrollers.
>
> 2 promise SATA controlers or 2 sata controllers,INTEL and promise.
> Is one of them a promise ata controller, it looks like there are two ATA
> ports for ATA drives. I'm pretty sure the Sata controllers will do raid or non
> raid.

THere are 3 Pata ports, one promise, 2 intel. Both the promise and intel
Sata controllers do raid, except the promise also offers RAID 1+0 and
can also do Raid with drives on its single PATA contorller (With at
least one SATA drive in the array).

I setup the two systems (P4P800E - deluxe) with RAID 1 on the intel
controller (disabling the promise for now). So far they are very stable
with APM (standby mode etc) working flawlessly (win2000).