[SOLVED] Which one?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
CONDUCTONAUT LIQUID METAL THERMAL PASTE - 1G
Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut Pasta Térmica 1.5ml

Which one is better to maintain good temperatures?

Solution
Well, in that case I don't really know what to do... This cooler is quite expensive. Many people have this one. Are the better ones for less price? I don't know... I just read reviews, saw videos or builds. Nothing more.
It's expensive because of that display on the pump head. The X73 model is the exact same cooler, but without that. Oh, there's also an RGB version of the X73 - costs more than the regular, obviously.
There are more affordable ones by far, but I believe you'll quickly notice a pattern among a few of them:
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
be quiet! Pure Loop 360
EK-AIO 360 Basic
Put simply: RGB LEDs and other aesthetic accents cost money. They have no effect on how the cooler performs - except for models using RGB...

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
The motherboard thread.
That one wasn't simple, because the 2 boards(Strix E Gaming and Maximus Hero)were practically the same.
What separated them were their looks, pricing, and if they had any useful features you would even care about. That last one is far from simple: If YOU don't know EVERYTHING you want in a motherboard - throw the overclocking stuff aside for a moment - then others don't know either.
More often than not, users overspend on motherboards on features they never use/need.

Kryonaut, Kryonaut Extreme, Conductonaut, Hydronaut, etc.
Practical: It shouldn't have mattered, except for Conductonaut; if careless, you can go from 100 to 0 REAL quick.
Simple: It wasn't, because they all have applications they excel at, and others they're not so good for.
I remember you mention wanting to do high overclocking, but with a hybrid cooler:
Hydronaut: Yes.
Kryonaut: Yes, but that ~80C caveat though...
Kryonaut Extreme: Yes, but a waste if not LN2 cooling.
Conductonaut: No. Should be used under the IHS, or in direct die applications.

Didn't see the Intel - AMD thread, so IDK.

I'm probably just making this harder... I'll do this then:
Simple list
Cpu: whatever the kind folks in that thread help you decide on.
Paste: Hydronaut
Motherboard: Since you don't know exactly what you want in a board beyond overclocking, a board of 200-ish(USD) for AMD, and 300-ish for Intel should have you covered. [Everything's more expensive these days, including mobos...]
See? I tried to simplify the motherboards, but I couldn't...

Maybe I am also making it harder... A resume of some threads:

1) Motherboard:
a) Z490 for i9-10900K >>> probably the Strix E or the Hero XII >>> If doesn't matter, that's fine: OC is important, keeping temperatures low is also important
b) X570 for 5800X or 5900X >>> probably the Strix E or Crossair Hero >> the same important things as before

2) Intel or AMD:
Difficult choice but it will come. I didn't the i9 yesterday, so today it costs 120 euros more. No promotion or I'lll have to wait for the next one.

3) Paste:
Ok. Kryonaut probably. Anyway this is a simple point compared with all the others.

4) PSU:
After reading some tips here, it seems that cooler master and thermaltake should be avoided. I will go for Corsair. The only question is: 850 or 1000 W? I want to overclock CPU and RAM.

5) Case:
Solved because Corsair dimensions are compatible with Lian Li O11 Dynamic.

6) Storage:
M.2 x 2: 500 GB for OS and 2 TB for MSFS. The only question was about Samsung 980 PRO M.2, but I already know that I would need to go to the AMD line to take profit of PCIe 4.0. If not, I will go to Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

7) Cooler and fans:
AIO, probably Kraken Z73 which seems to be one of the best for airflow. Custom loop seems to be more complicated, expensive and maybe not really necessary.
A lot of fans, to be decided later.

8) RAM:
The only question was 3200 CL14 versus 3600 CL16. I don't know if they are so different. Someone suggested to pick the second one.

9) GPU:
After 2 painful months I got the RTX 3090, which means I already have more than half computer.

10) Monitor:
After the computer is complete I will be back to this issue.

And thanks ;)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Liquid metals are designed primarily to go under the IHS, pastes are designed primarily to over the IHS. Big difference.

Good pastes will generally last at least 5 years, with normal usage being closer to 8 years, before they break down enough to start being an issue.

With a difference of @ 5°C between best and worst pastes, it mostly boils down to preference. Some pastes spread easier or clean up easier or stick better or don't harden over time (that doesn't affect anything).

Most times the pastes included with the cooler are every bit as good as what you'd buy, sometimes more so since they are generally pre-applied, which removes guesswork or bad pasting opportunities.

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
Liquid metals are designed primarily to go under the IHS, pastes are designed primarily to over the IHS. Big difference.

Good pastes will generally last at least 5 years, with normal usage being closer to 8 years, before they break down enough to start being an issue.

With a difference of @ 5°C between best and worst pastes, it mostly boils down to preference. Some pastes spread easier or clean up easier or stick better or don't harden over time (that doesn't affect anything).

Most times the pastes included with the cooler are every bit as good as what you'd buy, sometimes more so since they are generally pre-applied, which removes guesswork or bad pasting opportunities.

I will not use the stock cooler.
I will take your message in account. 🙂

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe I am also making it harder... A resume of some threads:
1) Motherboard:
a) Z490 for i9-10900K >>> probably the Strix E or the Hero XII >>> If doesn't matter, that's fine: OC is important, keeping temperatures low is also important
b) X570 for 5800X or 5900X >>> probably the Strix E or Crossair Hero >> the same important things as before

2) Intel or AMD:
Difficult choice but it will come. I didn't the i9 yesterday, so today it costs 120 euros more. No promotion or I'lll have to wait for the next one.

3) Paste:
Ok. Kryonaut probably. Anyway this is a simple point compared with all the others.

4) PSU:
After reading some tips here, it seems that cooler master and thermaltake should be avoided. I will go for Corsair. The only question is: 850 or 1000 W? I want to overclock CPU and RAM.

5) Case:
Solved because Corsair dimensions are compatible with Lian Li O11 Dynamic.

6) Storage:
M.2 x 2: 500 GB for OS and 2 TB for MSFS. The only question was about Samsung 980 PRO M.2, but I already know that I would need to go to the AMD line to take profit of PCIe 4.0. If not, I will go to Samsung 970 Evo Plus.

7) Cooler and fans:
AIO, probably Kraken Z73 which seems to be one of the best for airflow. Custom loop seems to be more complicated, expensive and maybe not really necessary.
A lot of fans, to be decided later.

8) RAM:
The only question was 3200 CL14 versus 3600 CL16. I don't know if they are so different. Someone suggested to pick the second one.

9) GPU:
After 2 painful months I got the RTX 3090, which means I already have more than half computer.

10) Monitor:
After the computer is complete I will be back to this issue.

And thanks
1)Strix E and Strix E.
After a certain price point, you're in the realm of diminishing returns. A 600USD board won't necessarily overclock any better than a 400 one while running on a combo of liquid and air cooling. You're also still at the mercy of your cpu's silicon bin.

2)To be determined. Next.

3)Ok.

4)850 - AMD. 1000 - Intel.

5)Ok.

6)Ok.

7)The first sentence is confusing. The other 2: Ok. Next.

8)If just using XMP: Intel - 3600 kit. AMD - 3600.

9)Ok.

10)Ok.

Last edited:

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
1)Strix E and Strix E.
After a certain price point, you're in the realm of diminishing returns. A 600USD board won't necessarily overclock any better than a 400 one while running on a combo of liquid and air cooling. You're also still at the mercy of your cpu's silicon bin.

2)To be determined. Next.

3)Ok.

4)850 - AMD. 1000 - Intel.

5)Ok.

6)Ok.

7)The first sentence is confusing. The other 2: Ok. Next.

8)If just using XMP: Intel - 3600 kit. AMD - 3600.

9)Ok.

10)Ok.

Point 7) I prefer AIO than air cooler which seems to be better for this case. Among AIO, I liked Kraken Z73 and specs seem to be good: 73 cfm and good rpm for its fans, although more noisy. Maybe my analysis is wrong...

Point 8) You added the word "tie" for Intel. What does it mean? The same RAM memory for both Intel or AMD?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Point 7) I prefer AIO than air cooler which seems to be better for this case. Among AIO, I liked Kraken Z73 and specs seem to be good: 73 cfm and good rpm for its fans, although more noisy. Maybe my analysis is wrong...
It's a common mistake.
Those specs are only applicable when the fans are run at 100%. Most of us don't do that with our fans regularly, mainly because they become too audible before that happens.
No one knows how a particular fan behaves below 100% speed, save for the manufacturer, but they don't post fan curves. [FYI, the curves are not linear.]
That's why noise normalized, and 50% fan speed tests are necessary.

Point 8) You added the word "tie" for Intel. What does it mean? The same RAM memory for both Intel or AMD?
That was later edited. I went back and double checked my answer for that.
The tie was aimed more at AMD, not Intel.
With Intel, you can pretty much set XMP and forget about it. Not to say such a system won't benefit from some tweaks, but they don't appear to be as sensitive about it.
A Ryzen system requires the user to be a bit more involved here, such as changing the FCLK and tightening the timings. When I looked it up, there was still an edge in favor of the 3600 C16 kit...

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
It's a common mistake.
Those specs are only applicable when the fans are run at 100%. Most of us don't do that with our fans regularly, mainly because they become too audible before that happens.
No one knows how a particular fan behaves below 100% speed, save for the manufacturer, but they don't post fan curves. [FYI, the curves are not linear.]
That's why noise normalized, and 50% fan speed tests are necessary.

Well, in that case I don't really know what to do... This cooler is quite expensive. Many people have this one. Are the better ones for less price? I don't know... I just read reviews, saw videos or builds. Nothing more.

That was later edited. I went back and double checked my answer for that.
The tie was aimed more at AMD, not Intel.
With Intel, you can pretty much set XMP and forget about it. Not to say such a system won't benefit from some tweaks, but they don't appear to be as sensitive about it.
A Ryzen system requires the user to be a bit more involved here, such as changing the FCLK and tightening the timings. When I looked it up, there was still an edge in favor of the 3600 C16 kit...

Still, I don't know what "tie" is and what do you mean by "kit". Anyway the overclocking process seems to be easier for Intel. Although I didn't decide if I will go for Intel or AMD. It depends on the price / profit, but also which components are easier to "tweak".

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's expensive because of that display on the pump head. The X73 model is the exact same cooler, but without that. Oh, there's also an RGB version of the X73 - costs more than the regular, obviously.
There are more affordable ones by far, but I believe you'll quickly notice a pattern among a few of them:
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
be quiet! Pure Loop 360
EK-AIO 360 Basic
Put simply: RGB LEDs and other aesthetic accents cost money. They have no effect on how the cooler performs - except for models using RGB fans.

Cooler Master's Masterliquid ML360R RGB(bloody long name...) and Lian Li's Galahad 360 are a couple of flashier models out there that don't leave as big a hole in the bank.

Still, I don't know what "tie" is and what do you mean by "kit". Anyway the overclocking process seems to be easier for Intel. Although I didn't decide if I will go for Intel or AMD. It depends on the price / profit, but also which components are easier to "tweak".
Ehh, you can put that aside until you get past the cpu crossroad.

Solution

harpsinuno

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021
Ehh, you can put that aside until you get past the cpu crossroad.

It will be today or tomorrow. But anyway it seems that 3600 CL16 is good for both, right? Here is a link:

https://www.pccomponentes.pt/gskill-trident-z-neo-ddr4-3600-pc4-28800-32gb-2x16gb-cl16

I already searched RAM benchmarks. This one seems to be a good one. The ones where the quotation was higher are much more expensive. Anyway, for Flight Simulator this means a difference of 2 frames per second which is almost nothing...

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020
The first one is an extreme overclocking solution. Normally that would go between the CPU and the metal cap (heatspreader) That involves removing the thermal paste under there or removing the existing solder under there. Literally what it says it is, liquid metal. If you get it on anything you aren't supposed to you could easily kill components. Then you would use normal thermal compound between the heatspreader and CPU cooler.

Hydronaut is their second best thermal compound and is intended for water cooling. Kryonaut is their top of the line, also for extreme uses. It can handle liquid nitrogen temperatures.

Other normal options would be Noctua NT-H1, NT-H2, Arctic MX-4, etc.
These are good points and well thought out.