Which PSU should I get?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crestfallen_12

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
So I was in doubt about 2 PSUs and now I have no idea which one to buy , My Build will be Ryzen 5 1600, 8GB DDR4 and RX 470 4 GB.

Solution
Of those you listed, here is how I would order them in terms of best quality/performance to worst (If there's a '=' it means they are very similar performance/quality or the same):

RM550X = RM650X > Thermaltake Toughpower Grand = EVGA GQ > Corsair CS650M = Corsair CS850M.

Honestly those PSU wattage calculators are misleading. Based on professional reviews, 550w will be more than enough for your system.

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008

Hence the need to pay attention. I have a 120 gig on my *home* workstation. At work it's a 256. 52.8 gigs of free space out of 111GB.
It's about managing space. So instead of telling people to upgrade, maybe teach them to manage their space a bit better? ;) A small SSD and a larger cap mechanical drive is a much better option than a small SSD alone, or a larger SSD which won't be large enough if you want to have multiple games installed and/or have lots of other data.

Crestfallen_12

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
Is it worth it to pay more $70 to get an corsair RM650X instead of an CX650m?
BTW I'm going to get an 1TB regular HDD, but I may buy a 120 just for windows and a few games too.

Also remembering that SSDs cost quite a bit, and the funds used to buy one can easily be used to get much faster GPU performance and higher quality components elsewhere.
A 120GB SSD is also very small, and will fill up fast, since only 100GB is actually usable if you want to keep performance unaffected since you need to stop the drive from clogging up more or less.

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Are you purposefully ignoring what I am stating here?

You can get a 120 gig SSD for 65-70 USD. That's not much money to massively improve your computers general performance. A combo with a 1TB drive for his games and data is perfect.
You won't get much GPU for even 100$. And an SSD will make a huge improvement.

No, i'm not ignoring you, i'm assessing the fact @OP has an RX 470 listed and that given the price range it wouldn't be a good value addition.
@OP, give us a budget for your rig and i'll show you what I mean.
@Froberg, a 120GB SSD for $65 is also terrible value.

Froberg

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008

Not if your build is without SSD at all. It's just not.
But yeah, we need a budget.

Crestfallen_12 - re the corsair RMx - no its not worth an extra $70 over the cx650m.
The cx650m is a good quality PSU - go for it.
Spend that $70 saving on putting it towards a 240gb ssd instead of a 120gb.
I'm in agreement with Chugalug here - with 120gb ssd space you'll be watching it all the time + the fact is a 240gb drive only costs around 50% more than a 120gb so is better value for money.

Crestfallen_12

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

I heard that the RMx is much quieter, and one of the reasons is because it turns off the fan when it doesn't need to use it

This is true, however when you're on a budget & have money to spend on other stuff an extra $70 for a silent fan profile is not worth the expense.

You could up the GPU to a 580 with that money , or a 240gb ssd , or a 580 4gb & both probably.

Cxm650 is a good unit, its well overpowered for your build , the Fan is going to run quiet anyway seeing as your going to max out at 350w or so.

Crestfallen_12

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

I don't have a budget.. I have an youtube channel and ATM I have around 700 dollars, and I will have more when I get it(google adsense only pays once a month)

I'll be paid around day 27 of this month, and in the next month I think I'll have enough for the MOBO+CPU(ryzen 5 1600 or 7 1700) and the DDR4 memory

It won't be enough to buy the mobo+cpu+ram, this month so I want to get the PSU first, since my current one is annoying me with a fan clicking.

And by the way madmatt, I already have the 470, and I don't want to replace it soon.