Which PSU? (UK)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

calza

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
Hi all,

I've decided my 650w EVGA is just a bit loud for me, and it seems to hang on to a higher fan speed for too long.

Ideally what I'm looking for is another one in the region of 650w (It's to power a 4670k & 280x both OC) as I like headroom for overclocking and degredation over the years.

I'm looking for a top quality unit ideally (I've read about tiers?) which is gold rated. Also very important is noise, what I'm after is one that can turn the fan off on lower loads (such as web browsing etc),

I've got around £75-£100 to play with but of course less is better! :)

Do you expect in the relative life span of this computer to require 850 watts? If yes, then the EVGA makes more sense. If no, then the extra capacity is just going set there probably costing you more on your electrical bill to run .

The reality is that either will probably work just fine

calza

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013

Your last line hit the nail on the head, certainly they are both very good PSU's and will do the job superbly.

Ideally yes I'd like have the option to crossfire down the line, as it would be the cheapest route in 2 years to upgrade my graphics power - but then again how many people say that and never use it?