Question Which Ryzen for gaming and productivity?

yoshiii1

Reputable
Mar 28, 2019
Hello,

I want to build a pc. It will be used for gaming(2k or 4K) graphic design, 3D rendering, video editing.
Which Ryzen processors would be best for that? 2700X or low end Thread Ripper? Get lower cpu since other new cpu's coming out later this year?
Go Intel? (expensive)

I currently have a laptop with a i7 8750H, and a RTX 2070, not the max q version.

For Ryzen the 2700X would be the best choice. As far as Threadripper it would lean towards being more suited for productivity work (assuming whatever you are using can actually take advantage of it) than gaming.

Compared to your laptop there's not much of an advantage of building a new system since you have quite a beefy laptop. Although with a Ryzen 2700X you get more Cores/threads productivity wise the application will need to be optimized for that to see any real performance difference and for gaming Intel still has a slight edge.

yoshiii1

Reputable
Mar 28, 2019
For Ryzen the 2700X would be the best choice. As far as Threadripper it would lean towards being more suited for productivity work (assuming whatever you are using can actually take advantage of it) than gaming.

Compared to your laptop there's not much of an advantage of building a new system since you have quite a beefy laptop. Although with a Ryzen 2700X you get more Cores/threads productivity wise the application will need to be optimized for that to see any real performance difference and for gaming Intel still has a slight edge.

So the i7 8750H is still a good processor for work even though its clocked down to 2.2ghz and reaches less than 4 ghz with all cores?